+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

FORT Fogey

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

It wasn't on the show. It was shown behind the scenes. She was booked to be on the show the week Chicago was shut down by a blizzard. The staff was making arrangements to get all the guests in town to make sure they could tape all the shows. Jennifer was in town for rehearsal, and then left for Dallas, unknown to the Oprah staff. She got stuck in Dallas and could not get back to Chicago in time for her show's taping, so they had to delay it, making the audience wait a few hours. During the whole think, Jennifer's staff kept telling Oprah's staff things that turned out to be untrue, like she was flying private and would do hair and makeup on the plane, when she actually flew commercial.

I think the issue with Jennifer wasn't so much maturity, as it was an example of what happens when fame comes to you so quickly. When a person has to work hard for years and years to get famous, they tend to remember what it takes, who got them there, and look out for the way they treat people. When a person is thrown into fame faster, through a show like American Idol, and skips over many of those long years of hard work, I think its easier to take the fame for granted. I think the diva-like behavior comes from thinking it all came easily, and she can behave like she wants because she's a star.

I would like to stress that she really sneaked out of town on the eve before the show was to tape the next morning. The show was to air live at 9:00 a.m. so that would have meant she was probably to show up for hair and makeup by 8:00 at the latest.
    And they were taping 3 shows that day and the delay on her 9:00 a.m. taping put the other guests and hundreds of audience members in backup. It was the same day they taped the Susan Lucci show.

I mean, can you imagine the Oprah staff saying how thankful they were to have you safe in town and ready to tape the show, despite of the blizard and then you go behind their backs and fly to Dallas? She knew they would have had a cow if they had known. Everyone knows air travel is risky, ESPECIALLY in bad winter weather. Oh well, I have to just let it go. Not everybody thinks like I do. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I would like to stress that she really sneaked out of town on the eve before the show was to tape the next morning. The show was to air live at 9:00 a.m. so that would have meant she was probably to show up for hair and makeup by 8:00 at the latest.
    And they were taping 3 shows that day and the delay on her 9:00 a.m. taping put the other guests and hundreds of audience members in backup. It was the same day they taped the Susan Lucci show.

I mean, can you imagine the Oprah staff saying how thankful they were to have you safe in town and ready to tape the show, despite of the blizard and then you go behind their backs and fly to Dallas? She knew they would have had a cow if they had known. Everyone knows air travel is risky, ESPECIALLY in bad winter weather. Oh well, I have to just let it go. Not everybody thinks like I do. LOL

I agree with you. Add to that the fact that the gig she went to was a party given by Dallas Cowboy owner Jerry Jones where Jamie Foxx was also performing. Jennifer tried to make it like it was a contractual obligation that she had to do. However, she missed the point. One contractual obligation or not evryone understands not being able to do something do to bad weather. Second, unlike say the Susan Lucci show, Jennifer's show was always planned to tape that Friday. If she booked the Jerry Jones party after booking Oprah she should have never booked it knowing she had to be in Chicago the night before to rehearse and early the next day to tape. Even if there was good weather that was not enough time. She went to rehearsal around 5 or 6 pm Thursday and the show was supposed to tape at 9am with doing hair and makep before that.

The main thing was if she had told Oprah and her staff early in the week that she had a gig with Jerry Jones on Thursday they could have pushed back her show to Monday, especially since because of the weather they had to tape 3 shows, or pushed her to the last show of the day. However, she didn't tell them at the beginning o fthe week and didn't even think to tell the Thursday night when she came for rehearsal even knowing how bad the weather had been. It was irresponsible, purposely deceptive, and a diva attitude. She's letting her success, the Oscar, and her new weight loss get to her head. IMO

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

She will learn! A lot of our best lessons are learned the hard way.

Integrity can be one of them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I just watched the show with Bob Green, 20 years younger. Oprah buys into a lot of things she has not researched and of course, she wants to help her friend Bob with his new book.

I know about this dermatologist from Beverly Hills. His products are overpriced and do not contain anything special. You can find an exfolient (Dr Brandt) that is excellent and good nurishing cream from Whole Foods. A friend of mine is a nurse practitioner and tells me he will spend about 2 minutes with you and a nurse takes over to sell you their product line. You usually leave with a $600 bill. Sure you skin will improve but it will with cheaper products too. He has no miracle ingredients. Or go to your local dermatologist and ask for guidence in products. Make an appointment for them to check out your skin for a cancer screening and your insurance will pay. Good idea to do that anyway.

As for Bob. Buy his book? Why? Eat organic when possible, concentrate on healthy fruits and vegetables, eat only fish, chicken or soy for protein and exercise. Stay under 1700 calories if you are exercising and you will lose weight and feel better. Well no duh.

I haven't see them that show, however, I agree with you about the pricy products. I have bought the very expensive stuff before and it did work well, but it was too much for what you got. I finally stopped it and went with less expensive stuff. I saw no real difference.

FORT Fan

I am loving the new Judds show.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am seeing an intense relationship between 2 people who are working to understand and get better.....and it isn't easy. There is a lifetime of chaos to be dealt with, including the unfortunate family history. Most people would have decided to be done with it and move on, but they seem determined to face it, together. Admirable. Don't know if I'd have that kind of strength. They have my respect.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm trying to keep an open mind with the show. I watched again last night when they visited LA. It's quite difficult for me to watch those two though. I guess it's great to address your demons from the past, but they seem to be so miserable and in deep pain 90% of the time. I think there is a fine line between grief and self pity. I think they may be overdoing the later.

They refer to the man who travels with them as a life coach. Is he qualified to provide therapy for them? Life coaches don't have to meet many requirements that a real therapist does. I would think that from the hardship and dysfunction they have displayed in that show, they need a REAL doctor and perhaps a hospital.

I have been a fan for many years and love their music, but seeing this show is making me like them less. I do hope things work out for them and they find some peace.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I have great hopes for the OWN network that (in my opinion) Oprah just launched too soon --- before she was really ready and before she could devote the necessary time to it. BUT programming is improving at OWN. The show they did on Mother's Day about extraordinary mothers was outstanding! And the shows on Cher's daughter Chastity, who has become her son Chaz, -- very moving and interesting. Plus, I was also very moved by Oprah's interview with Dutchess Sarah Furgeson (on the Oprah Show) --- and Sarah will be featured in a reality type series on OWN showing how she is trying to heal herself and her life. Some of the other new quality shows on OWN that I particularly appreciate include the Shania Twain show, Lisa Ling's America series, and 'Truth Be Told.' And I can't wait for Rosie's show to start in the fall!!!

+ Reply to Thread