+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

FORT Fogey

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Nothing is more annoying than somebody trying to talk with something in their mouth!
    Yes and Oprah is the biggest offender. When she has a food spot on her show she does this. I have seen people make a brief comment with food in their mouth and it doesnt offend, but Oprah! Oh good lord, it is not good.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Thanks Yellow Rose. Congratulations to you and all those who go back to school and follow their dream. It really takes so much focus and dedication. It's been a long time since I was in law school. I think it would be different studying something like jouralism and coummunications. We'll see.....

Did anyone see the Behind the Scenes show for The Color Purple? There was the issue of getting Danny Glover to Chicago to film the show. He was in Canada, I think on a film. They made this big deal about having to provide him with a private flight costing around $75,000.00! Yes, it's a lot, but they had to have him there and that was the only way to accomodate his schedule and guarentee his appearance on time.

My question is, doesn't Oprah own a plane? I mean she is one of the richest people in the world. Lots of celebs do own plans. I even dated a guy who owned a plane once! LOL Really. He was wealthy and a pilot and so he owned one, but why would Oprah not own one and have to pay someone else for the private flight? Is there something I'm missing on this?

My son is a commercial pilot and flies private jets. They are owned by the company he works for. Very few rich people own their own jet. Trump and Julia Roberts, to name two, do have one. It is an expense that is not necessary. It costs millions a year to own one, never mind the purchase. The salaries for the pilots are another expense; you need to have at least two crews. You want to fly somewhere? Pick up the phone and a plane will be at your disposal within hours or less. It is hassle free.

Danny was in Canada so she hired a plane from up there and the pilots waited for him to take him back. If she owned one, they would have to leave Chicago to get him and then return the plane, 2 round trips. It is cheaper and more efficient to hire one.

You may say that she has billions and can afford it. Yes, she does, but she prefers philanthropy.

And does your friend own a jet? Props are slower, noisy (you have to wear head phones) and don't have the range, so not practical if your needs are to fly long distances.
    Last edited by shoepie; 03-13-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Yes and Oprah is the biggest offender. When she has a food spot on her show she does this. I have seen people make a brief comment with food in their mouth and it doesnt offend, but Oprah! Oh good lord, it is not good.
    And I've seen Oprah do this "cow chew", with her mouth open....slow and hard. Unbelievable. She used to do the open mouth thing, but she seems to have cleaned up her act, in that regard. I take it that somebody talked to her about that.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

And I've seen Oprah do this "cow chew", with her mouth open....slow and hard. Unbelievable. She used to do the open mouth thing, but she seems to have cleaned up her act, in that regard. I take it that somebody talked to her about that.
    Yes, it was horrific. It is a little better now. I have noticed she doesn't talk with a mouth full anymore and when she takes a bite it is smaller so she can move on faster.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    My son is a commercial pilot and flies private jets. They are owned by the company he works for. Very few rich people own their own jet. Trump and Julia Roberts, to name two, do have one. It is an expense that is not necessary. It costs millions a year to own one, never mind the purchase. The salaries for the pilots are another expense; you need to have at least two crews. You want to fly somewhere? Pick up the phone and a plane will be at your disposal within hours or less. It is hassle free.

Danny was in Canada so she hired a plane from up there and the pilots waited for him to take him back. If she owned one, they would have to leave Chicago to get him and then return the plane, 2 round trips. It is cheaper and more efficient to hire one.

You may say that she has billions and can afford it. Yes, she does, but she prefers philanthropy.

And does your friend own a jet? Props are slower, noisy (you have to wear head phones) and don't have the range, so not practical if your needs are to fly long distances.
    Thanks for the info on private planes. I knew that John Travolta owns some. I think he owns a large plane, but I didn't realize so few celebs did. Your explanation makes sense.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Thanks for the info on private planes. I knew that John Travolta owns some. I think he owns a large plane, but I didn't realize so few celebs did. Your explanation makes sense.
    Yes John owns a Boeing 707. When I was a flight attendant in the late 60's that was the largest of TWA's fleet! Depending on the model they hold up to 180 passengers. For John it is much more than having transportation it is a hobby/obsession! He loves planes so much that he has two (don't know the what the other is) and keeps them parked at his Florida home adjacent to an airport.

I can't imagine what it must be like to have a hobby that expensive, and to be able to indulge that hobby in the way that he does! Whoa!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I can't imagine what it must be like to have a hobby that expensive, and to be able to indulge that hobby in the way that he does! Whoa!
    Who knew John Travolta would go so far? I never did. I thought he was a lame actor when he first appeared in Welcome Back Kotter! LOL He played a very ignorant character and I didn't think it was far from his real character.

Then he made it big in Saturday Night Fever. I loved the whole thing, Disco and all, but wasn't impressed with his acting then either. I thought he would never go any further. Boy was I wrong. He turned out to be a great actor and very successful person. He was much smarter than I thought. He's a nice guy too.

2 days ago, Gayle called Meat Loaf "meatballs"! Good Grief, she can be such a "box of rocks" (as in "dumb as a ...."). And she wasn't making a joke, either.

2 days ago, Gayle called Meat Loaf "meatballs"! Good Grief, she can be such a "box of rocks" (as in "dumb as a ...."). And she wasn't making a joke, either.

Are you saying she called the performer Meatloaf, meatballs or did she call the dish meatloaf, meatballs. I'm confused?

I tried to watch Gayles' show again recently and it's just not for me. I really like Gayle, but not her show.

+ Reply to Thread