+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

I see Gayle's show at 10 a.m. Monday through Friday. I think it is re-shown at least once, after that, for a total of twice/day.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26 View Post
    Never too late if it's something you want to do. You should look into it. People change careers late in life all the time and are better for it.
    Totally agree. I went back to college for my last couple of years at 37, and became an attorney at 42 --- that was a total career change after having become an RN at 23. Nikki is right, in that people change careers all the time --- and your legal background would be a help (in one way or another) in almost any other career you choose! If there's something that you REALLY want to do, Debb, I say, go for it!

Thanks all for your support. I guess I never really gave it serious thought. When I entered law school in my 20's, I never realized how all encompassing a career in law would be. There's a reason they refer to it as the golden handcuffs.

I am going to look into it. I just don't know how it would be to compete with 20 some year olds. Also, having to work under someone else after being my own boss for so long would be challenging. STill, it's something I think I would like.

Looking back; I should have interned at a tv station in addition to the attorney's office and Attorney General's Office before entering law school.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Totally agree. I went back to college for my last couple of years at 37, and became an attorney at 42 --- that was a total career change after having become an RN at 23. Nikki is right, in that people change careers all the time --- and your legal background would be a help (in one way or another) in almost any other career you choose! If there's something that you REALLY want to do, Debb, I say, go for it!
    I'm another one who agrees you should try going back to college. I returned at age 40 to get my Masters' degree. I think you'll find that you have a lot more to offer than the 20 yr olds, due to your experience and gained wisdom. Not to mention that at an older age, we really want to learn and it's not just something we have to do.
    Go for it!

Well, I am right in the middle of many great schools. There is NC Sate, UNC, and Duke, all within 30 miles of my house. I'll look into it. Plus, there's probably quite a bit you can do on-line now.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Well, I am right in the middle of many great schools. There is NC Sate, UNC, and Duke, all within 30 miles of my house. I'll look into it. Plus, there's probably quite a bit you can do on-line now.
    Go for it Debb! I did not get my first college degree until I was 42. My goal was 40, but things happen. I was never so happy as that day I put on that cap and gown. It took me awhile to accomplish my goal, but I did it! The last few classes I had I did them all online, only had to go to campus for my finals. Most teachers were available for one on ones if you needed them and had one really cool teacher who said every week I will be in this classroom at this time, if you would like me to teach or need help just show up.

Back to OWN, I have found myself watching it from time to time. Most times when I flip to it, what has been on is Say Yes to the Dress, which is also on another channel, or Dr Phil. I have caught a bit of the Oprah's Last Season stuff here and there.

My personal opinion on Oprah is on the fence. Sometimes I like her, sometimes I do not. I think she is sometimes too RAH RAH and in your face. It is so easy for her to say "do this, do that" Well..... we don't all have her money and aren't in her live audience to win cars and other stuff.

Will I continue to tune in, probably as I am flipping channels and something catches my eye. Do I make it a point to be sure I tune in for a certain program? Nope.

Thanks Yellow Rose. Congratulations to you and all those who go back to school and follow their dream. It really takes so much focus and dedication. It's been a long time since I was in law school. I think it would be different studying something like jouralism and coummunications. We'll see.....

Did anyone see the Behind the Scenes show for The Color Purple? There was the issue of getting Danny Glover to Chicago to film the show. He was in Canada, I think on a film. They made this big deal about having to provide him with a private flight costing around $75,000.00! Yes, it's a lot, but they had to have him there and that was the only way to accomodate his schedule and guarentee his appearance on time.

My question is, doesn't Oprah own a plane? I mean she is one of the richest people in the world. Lots of celebs do own plans. I even dated a guy who owned a plane once! LOL Really. He was wealthy and a pilot and so he owned one, but why would Oprah not own one and have to pay someone else for the private flight? Is there something I'm missing on this?

What about Spielberg? After all, it was his movie. Oprah was just an actor, like all of the rest.

Another Gayle problem, for me, this morning, and I've seen it before. She will suck on some kind of lozenge while she's on air, and talk around it. It is obvious that she has something in her mouth, when she didn't before. Why does that seem like a good idea??? Maybe I'm just too sensitive!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have seen Gayle many times when it looked like she had a cough drop or something in her mouth. I just thought it was one of her things.

Nothing is more annoying than somebody trying to talk with something in their mouth!

+ Reply to Thread