+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Re: OWN - The Oprah Winfrey Network

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4192444;
    While I think I like Gayle's show, this much exposure to her has shown me what appears to be a surprising lack of sophistication. Her "cutesy-poo" phrases, and her concern for what guests will think about what she's wearing are just 2 of the things that come to mind. I think I will continue to tune in if I don't bash my brains out any time soon. I'm trying to be strong. She reminds me of some of my friends with truly blonde roots.

Hey now! Let's watch the blonde comments. LOL Just kidding. I don't think my roots are blonde.

I can see what you are talking about. I don't watch the show for reason's stated above, but maybe I'll change my mind. I really like Gayle, but just not her show.

When is Rosie's new show coming on?

Aww, Shay, I have blonde roots.

But, I don't get the Oprah network. So, perhaps, I'm lucky?!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm PMSing and Peri-Menopausal....so here goes:

I can't stand Oprah Winfrey. In the '80s I watched her show all the time. But after I got married and had a kid or two, I didn't have time to watch her much, but two shows changed my opinion of her forever, and I've not watched since.

1) I've been blessed that I never had to really spank my kids, but when they're toddlers, you have to smack their hand or bottoms (quite padded obviously) to get an immediate lesson across, which usually involved something dangerous or mean behavior on their part) because you cannot reason with an 18-month old or a 2-year old, even most 3-year olds. Things like whacking their sibling in the head with a toy, or running away towards the street after being told "No!", or pitching a temper tantrum and breaking something on purpose, or deliberately dropping your cell phone into the toilet, stuff like that.

One day Oprah offered her wisdom on a show about spanking little children (toddler age): She gasped, "Oh, there is never any valid reason to strike a child!" Really, Oprah? Have a child or two before you offer that level of condemnation.

2) This was the nail in the coffin. She'd just been listed as one of the top income earners in Hollywood, heck in the world that time, earning that past year only $40 million. Her show that day was about decorating, and I can still her say "Oh, I love having flowers all around my home, but I hate artificial flowers and can't understand why anyone would want them. " Gosh darn, Oprah, we Little People can't afford to have fresh flowers throughout our homes, so we'll just have to suffer with silk.

Haven't watched her since. I'm sure she's done great things, evoked a lot of emotions (both positive and negative), and I know right now I'm a bunny who wandered into the lion's den and have not much longer to live!

Don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings or step on toes. I just wanted to vent because it's been many years since that happened, and I am, after all, PMSing.

(I'm won't be back to spoil anybody's fun, I just saw the thread and my inner dragon emerged )
    Last edited by SugarMama; 02-23-2011 at 01:09 AM.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I'm PMSing and Peri-Menopausal....so here goes:

I can't stand Oprah Winfrey. In the '80s I watched her show all the time. But after I got married and had a kid or two, I didn't have time to watch her much, but two shows changed my opinion of her forever, and I've not watched since.

1) I've been blessed that I never had to really spank my kids, but when they're toddlers, you have to smack their hand or bottoms (quite padded obviously) to get an immediate lesson across, which usually involved something dangerous or mean behavior on their part) because you cannot reason with an 18-month old or a 2-year old, even most 3-year olds. Things like whacking their sibling in the head with a toy, or running away towards the street after being told "No!", or pitching a temper tantrum and breaking something on purpose, or deliberately dropping your cell phone into the toilet, stuff like that.

One day Oprah offered her wisdom on a show about spanking little children (toddler age): She gasped, "Oh, there is never any valid reason to strike a child!" Really, Oprah? Have a child or two before you offer that level of condemnation.

2) This was the nail in the coffin. She'd just been listed as one of the top income earners in Hollywood, heck in the world that time, earning that past year only $40 million. Her show that day was about decorating, and I can still her say "Oh, I love having flowers all around my home, but I hate artificial flowers and can't understand why anyone would want them. " Gosh darn, Oprah, we Little People can't afford to have fresh flowers throughout our homes, so we'll just have to suffer with silk.

Haven't watched her since. I'm sure she's done great things, evoked a lot of emotions (both positive and negative), and I know right now I'm a bunny who wandered into the lion's den and have not much longer to live!

Don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings or step on toes. I just wanted to vent because it's been many years since that happened, and I am, after all, PMSing.

(I'm won't be back to spoil anybody's fun, I just saw the thread and my inner dragon emerged )
    I totally understand how you feel. I swing from liking her to not liking her. That's why I record it and then decide if I want to watch, depending on the subject. Usually I'm not interested in celebs and their life but some things (non-famous people) are very interesting and then some things drive me nuts.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I dunno. I never raised a hand to my children. But I did keep a fully loaded water pistol. Hey, I figured it worked on my dogs and cats - and, it worked on my errant toddlers. I used to worry that it would make them afraid of water, but they were all competitive swimmers. It pretty much just "surprised" them out of their behavior at the moment.

My ironclad rule was that I'd never hit them till they were bigger than me. I had 3 sons, and by the time they were bigger than me I never had to.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

While I've done my share of butt-swatting, to catch his attention...but not much...when I think about spanking, I came to the conclusion that if it worked, that you'd only have to do it once, instead of repeatedly.

I didn't resort to the water pistol until my son was in high school...and only had to do that once! He, once, tried to be resistant to getting up for school in the morning. I take that back; I dumped a good portion of my ever-handy water bottle in his face! Didn't have that problem anymore. We laugh about that to this day!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

As someone who was hit frequently as a child and even after years of therapy still have residual issues because of it, I tend to agree with Oprah on the first point. I think there are ways of providing discipline even to a toddler without striking him or her. So now you can dislike me if you want!

On the second point, I've seen many times that Oprah seems to forget that most people can't live in such a way that is remotely close to the way she lives in terms of being able to afford things. Perhaps that is somewhat common with people who just get used to having a lot of money. I can't speak from personal experience on that!

Well, it's official, OWN's ratings suck, but its parent company Discovery is still going to lend Oprah 50 million dollars to improve programming per my beloved TV Guide.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22 View Post
    As someone who was hit frequently as a child and even after years of therapy still have residual issues because of it, I tend to agree with Oprah on the first point. I think there are ways of providing discipline even to a toddler without striking him or her. So now you can dislike me if you want!

On the second point, I've seen many times that Oprah seems to forget that most people can't live in such a way that is remotely close to the way she lives in terms of being able to afford things. Perhaps that is somewhat common with people who just get used to having a lot of money. I can't speak from personal experience on that!
    I can relate to both of the bolded parts of your post. I didn't use physical punishment for my kids because of what had happened to me and my brother BUT.......I also don't think one rule works for everyone. I've seen children get a swat now and then without it being a problem. People have to figure out what works best for them.
    I like what prhoshay said that it should only take once for it to have an impact......repeated whippings/hittings are more about the parents' venting than the kid, I think.
    Personally, I don't think anyone who's never had a child can make the same judgement that Oprah did.
    As much as we love them, they can try our very last bit of patience.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I can relate to both of the bolded parts of your post. I didn't use physical punishment for my kids because of what had happened to me and my brother BUT[/B].......I also don't think one rule works for everyone. I've seen children get a swat now and then without it being a problem. People have to figure out what works best for them.
    I like what prhoshay said that it should only take once for it to have an impact......repeated whippings/hittings are more about the parents' venting than the kid, I think.
    Personally, I don't think anyone who's never had a child can make the same judgement that Oprah did.
    As much as we love them, they can try our very last bit of patience.
    1st bolded ... Can't see how this statement can be made unless a person has intimate knowledge of that child's personal development into and throughout adulthood.

2nd bolded ... I interpreted prhoshay's statement differently. Seemed to me she was saying that if spanking worked, a child would only have to be spanked once, which is almost always not the case. So I figured she was saying spanking doesn't work.

3rd bolded ... A lot of adults try my patience and get on my very last nerve, too, but it isn't okay to hit them. We have to learn other assertive but nonviolent ways to deal with lack of patience and annoying/troubling behaviors, no matter who or how old the perpetrator is. Just because they're smaller and weaker doesn't make it okay ... in fact, it's worse. They can't defend themselves and can internalize that feeling of victimization and helplessness. Besides, I wouldn't want to teach a child that hitting is the way to deal with someone who tries your patience.

+ Reply to Thread