+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blaise Off

FORT Regular

Blaise Off

Blais Off
    Premieres Friday, December 17 at 10PM E/P

Chef Richard Blais has a reputation. He's been called a nonconformist, an iconoclast, and a rebel. His kitchen contains tools normally only seen in a science lab. That's because his mission and his passion is to experiment with classic foods, using science, technology, and creativity to reinvent them for the 21st Century. Now, he takes his experiments on the road, visiting some of the most popular eateries in America. Richard's challenge: to use his scientific knowledge and culinary skill to engineer better-tasting versions of America's favorite foods and then put his scientific creations head-to-head against those classic dishes in face-offs between tradition and innovation.

Source: Blais Off : Science Channel

No clue if it's any good.

Re: Blaise Off

I posted about this in his TC thread earlier today. I found it while scrolling through what was on tonight on the DVR guide. I think it looks really interesting and have it recorded, I'll give it a shot and see what the first two shows are like since it just premiered tonight.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fan

Saw the first two episodes. This is great! I never really thought molecular gastronomy added anything to a dish till I saw Blais on Top chef and this really is a great way to introduce these techniques to a wider audience. It's sort of a cross between Showdown with Bobby Flay and a science lecture, only Richard has a real knack for explaining all the experimenting he's doing in a way that anyone can understand what he's saying. Plus the food he made on tonight's episodes looked sooo yummy! i don't live too far from Atlanta, I might have to go down and try his restaurant.

This sounds so exciting! I can't wait to watch, I love Alton Brown and his "Good Eats". Love the way he doesn't just cook, he explains the history of the food and decodes the custom of it. I'm not all that into watching people cook, boring, I'd rather read a cook book and just copy the recipe. I prefer to learn about the history of food or the actual techniques behind what is being done (like what Alton does).

So I'm always on the lookout for another show like his that does more than just show shots of a woman in a cleavage bearing low cut top dicing up food with her perfectly manicured hands and soft lighting, soft mood music playing in the background *rolls eyes*.

We make a journey to Atlanta once a year, will have to check this place out.

Saw the two episodes tonight, and I enjoyed them. I can see why the show is on Science Channel -- Blais goes into great detail about the technical side of molecular gastronomy while he is cooking. Since he's trying to reinvent such staples as pizza and burgers, I can see him losing as many challenges as he wins with his diners. But I guess the point of this show isn't to keep score, it's more about learning about the science behind food & cooking, which Blais is so passionate about. And it's fun to see him go all mad scientist trying to make a better hamburger. I'll be watching.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

This show was awesome! I loved it, will definitely be watching the whole season. I like that it's balanced, he doesn't always win and it wouldn't make sense that he would. To me it is a combination of the Flay Throw-Down shows mixed with Alton's Good Eats. It's entertaining and educational and my foodie in the making (our son who is turning 8 next week) was enthralled with the show. He loved that Blais took the time to explain the molecular/chemical reactions that occurred during the pizza dough process and the "browning" of the meat process.

Also, he is so passionate about food, what he does and explaining it that it's exciting to watch. He is a great host and I can see why he'd be teaching a class on this stuff because he does a great job with instructing and making it interesting.

Personally? I'm not much for modern cuisine so I'd probably choose the traditional versions but it was fun watching Blais try to modernize classics and I really liked that he brought in these food bloggers for taste testers. They don't get a lot of exposure on these shows and they have a ton of knowledge to share, I hope he keeps that up.

Highly recommend this show to everybody.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4129512;
    Personally? I'm not much for modern cuisine so I'd probably choose the traditional versions but it was fun watching Blais try to modernize classics and I really liked that he brought in these food bloggers for taste testers. They don't get a lot of exposure on these shows and they have a ton of knowledge to share, I hope he keeps that up.

Highly recommend this show to everybody.
    I've never been much into modern cuisine either. I'm from the south and i love classic southern dishes, so I wouldn't have thought it would look tasty either. And while the burger kind of confused me (fried mayo? Ketchup made with dates? And he didn't even put on any cheese or bacon) I would LOVE to try the pizza he made. It was so pretty, and everyone seemed to like it so much.

I also recommend this show....can't wait till the next one.

FORT Regular

D'oh, just noticed I misspelled the title. Extra e @ the end if some mod can fix that.

I thought it was entertaining also.. anyone that likes these other chef/cooking shows should def give it a try.

Looks like they don't have the episodes online @ Discovery & not on Hulu either though. Ah well.

Accidently caught the pizza episode and burger episode last nigth while channel surfing. Surprising good hosting and explaining how food works, both the basic way and his newer way. Taped both and will watch later. First impression, shows a lot of his personality, glad he lost the weight, can't stand his hair.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I started watching the show last week, fell asleep right as he was talking about upping the temperature in his oven. I started watching it again last night, and this time I saw 2/3 of the pizza episode and 1/2 of the burger episode.

I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to stay awake for the entire show ;-) (It's not the show, it's me...I've worked so much over the last several months that when I sit in my comfy recliner, I nod off.)

+ Reply to Thread