+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Storage Wars

Storage Wars

Didn't see a thread for this new show, so thought I would start it (if that's okay with the mods).

Premise looks interesting - anybody plan on watching this?

I have actually attended a few storage facility auctions and let me tell you, it can get very intense! You're not allowed to actually touch anything, but you can look for a certain amount of time and then the bidding starts. Best case scenarios to bid on, to me, would be a unit FULL of neatly stacked boxes, some tools, a washer and dryer or other "in good shape appliances", and maybe a box full of costume jewelry, a coin collection and some "smalls" (smaller antiques, like pottery)

The prices on the storage auctions that I have attended have gone up to about five and six hundred dollars. Not sure if this program intends to follow any specific bidders week to week or if they will just flit around the country at different auctions. I like to see how the bidders take their wins and re-sell them for profit. Some folks around here actually make their living doing this.
    Hope some of y'all watch it too!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Re: Storage Wars

I was going to comment on the show after reading your post, but then realized what I watched last night was "Auction Hunters" - different show, same premise. Who would've thought storage facilities would be the next reality TV frontier? I think this show looks interesting, too; and I agree about wanting to see how they fix up and resell their wins.

Funny to think there could be people out there who may happen upon an episode while channel surfing and recognize their old abandoned stuff.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 12-01-2010 at 11:26 AM.

FORT Fanatic

Hank Steuver of "The Washington Post" has an article on page C-1 of today's "Style" section about this show and another one called "Gold Rush: Alaska." Sorry I don't know how to post a link. Normally you have to register to get on-line Post content, I think, but it's free and simple. He says the storage show takes place in southern California. Some of the participants have been doing this for some time and prospered. Further, he states that the show 'portrays the misery of others as a twisted opportunity for the rest of us to get a leg up. It reveals how off-kilter our valuaes have become, in both the moral and economic sense."

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4117716;
    Hank Steuver of "The Washington Post" has an article on page C-1 of today's "Style" section about this show and another one called "Gold Rush: Alaska." Sorry I don't know how to post a link. Normally you have to register to get on-line Post content, I think, but it's free and simple. He says the storage show takes place in southern California. Some of the participants have been doing this for some time and prospered. Further, he states that the show 'portrays the misery of others as a twisted opportunity for the rest of us to get a leg up. It reveals how off-kilter our valuaes have become, in both the moral and economic sense."

Okay, so this is going to stay in one area then. I imagine southern California bids will go WAY over what folks in Georgia would pay for a unit.

As far as the twisted opportunity aspect and the "off-kilter" values, I can see that up to a point, but I believe that for most storage unit bidders it's purely a business opportunity and kind of what people like antique pickers and pawn shop owners do to make a living: find product and buy it for a low price and re-sell it fairly quickly for more money. So, while sometimes it is interesting to know the story behind how the stuff came to be up for bid, I hope that isn't the only angle portrayed in the show.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I knew a couple who did this. You get to look inside the unit but not go in and actually sort through it, and then the bidding begins.

If you're lucky you'll get some great stuff to sell at the flea market, garage sales, etc. And once in a while you can find some very cool stuff.

The show premise looks great, so if I can find a time to watch I will.

FORT Fanatic

I thought last night's show was very interesting and will watch again. There is a lot of trash-talking and if one bidder sees someone else is really interested, he might deliberately drive up the price and then drop out at the last minute, thus making the competition have to pay more than they had hoped.

Some of it is dumb luck since you have such a limited opportunity to see what's actually in the unit. In one episode, the guy glimpsed what he thought might be auto glass. It was a rare type of tiny car. It was in terrible shape, but he still ended up selling it for about $3,000, thus making a tidy profit.

Another guy bid on a unit containing equipment for a commercial kitchen and made a huge profit. On the other hand, some bidders didn't even make back what they had paid.

I did see the two episodes last night, and I really enjoyed them. I will defo check in again and keep watching.

It is really a crap shoot, though. If you're lucky you can hit it big, but some don't do as well.

I haven't seen the premiere episodes yet, but have them DVR'd and hope to watch today or tomorrow. ASassykat, did they play up the back stories of how the stuff came to be on the auction block?

So far, I really like this show. And no, they have not made mention in either of the two episodes, how the original owners of the storage units got behind in their rent. It is disturbing to me how the auctioneer states with absolute glee
    something along the lines of -if you get 3 months behind in your storage rent, you bet your ass we're gonna sell it.
    He's an a-hole IMO

I watched both episodes last night and liked the show allot. It is a huge crap shoot.

The Movado watch ... ugh.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast