+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Storage Wars

Re: Storage Wars

The new guy Jeff is a big whiner and in the last show Darrell was unbearably grouchy. He won't leave his poor son alone.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I don't like this new guy Jeff... Dave wasn't my favourite either, but at least he didn't whine about everything!

Darrell has a big bark, but I think his bite is much smaller. Also, I absolutely love when he mixes up words and some of his oneliners. (e.g., "Brandon and I are kapoop or "Brandon and I aren't seeing eye to eye... probably because I'm taller.)
    Jexter, nanarama and jucamer like this.

As the daughter of a man who made most of his living selling salvaged items, I don't believe they are getting the prices they claim to get & they have to be acquiring items from many other sources besides storage lockers. (Except for Barry, who is doing it as a lark). I'm curious as to where they get the rest of their stock for their storefronts. I wonder if they do much consignment business.

My dad gets good laughs when they quote random prices. And real "treasure" is a rare find.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Curiosity is getting the better of me. I've found a few online episodes and fast forwarded to the end started a leader board. Knowing me, I'll end up recording all episodes for all seasons (a tad OCD here).

I've tracked 6 shows from Season 1. Dave is thus far the big winner. If I did the math right, and assuming an 8 hour day per episode (and 6 days x 8 hrs each = 48 hours), we have the following. The top number is money earned, the middle number is the hourly rate, and the final is the total annual amount of money each would earn if things kept up this way (again, assuming one 8-hour day per episode).

The numbers are deceiving - Dave has two very big ticket items.

Dave
    $28,667
    $597
    $1,242,237

Barry
    $13,825
    $288
    $599,083

Darryl
    $3,275
    $68
    $141,917

J&B
    $6,201
    $129
    $268,710

I worked for a storage for 8 years and I doubt they are making a living off the storage business but that being said we had some amazing things stored in our storage. Pickups, cars, seedoos and antiques. One of the ones we sold had an old BMW in that if restored could bring some nice change. We had one that had old tin toys in their boxes and antique furniture. I was fortunate to one day come around the corner of one storage and the guy was moving out and he had 8 pieces of old furniture and one was a pedestal Duncan Phife(spelling) pedestal side table that I know has value and he let me have all 8 pieces for $80.00. The table alone is worth at least $200.00 or more. The last time I priced one because I wanted one was almost $200.00 and that was probably 30 years ago. Most of the furniture had plate glass that was cut to fit the tops to protect it. I got 2 glass fronted curio cabinets and a dresser and a chest that matched and an old glass fronted farm house cabinet.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

The thing about the amounts they list at the end of the show is that they are the market values of the items, not necessarly what they ended up selling the items for.
    Every once in a while we see them selling an item but mostly we see them just get the appraisal value. Doesn't mean they will actually get that when they go to sell it.

No - if you check the prices at the end of the show against what the appraisers tell them the items are worth they are different. The prices at the end are what they sold the items for.....
    nanarama likes this.

We never see appraisals for all the items that they are getting in those units. The values at the end reflect the value of multiple items not just the 1 or 2 that appraised on the fly on the show.
    jucamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    No - if you check the prices at the end of the show against what the appraisers tell them the items are worth they are different. The prices at the end are what they sold the items for.....
    I think it's more what their profit/loss could be if all the items were sold for the price they quote. I've read in many places that people have gone to Jarrod's or Dave's places and have seen items unsold that they got on storage wars.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    I think it's more what their profit/loss could be if all the items were sold for the price they quote. I've read in many places that people have gone to Jarrod's or Dave's places and have seen items unsold that they got on storage wars.
    Now that is funny.

+ Reply to Thread