+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Storage Wars

FORT Fan

Re: Storage Wars

Hey, did anyone notice that in 2 of the 4 new episodes Dan changed his patter to "who EVER's got the most money"? Maybe he actually read this thread! He stumbles over it, so it's clear he changed on purpose from the ungrammatical "whosever got." Ah, the pleasure of making a small change in the world . . .

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    I think the amounts they made/lost shown at the end of the show are actually what they did get for the items.
    No, it is an estimated amount. The prices given are what they feel it will sell for in their eyes not what someone is willing to pay. I have noticed things priced rather high in my opinion... no way i'd bay some of the amounts they give on some of that stuff.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I was watching a repeat recently where Jarrod made a comment about Dave being down $1,000 for his truck and staff alone. I have often wondered... how much do they really make once all is said and done; after paying staff, travel expenses, dump fees for all the junk they can't resell, etc. Those over-inflated guestimates while going through the lockers would really come down then!

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    No, it is an estimated amount. The prices given are what they feel it will sell for in their eyes not what someone is willing to pay. I have noticed things priced rather high in my opinion... no way i'd bay some of the amounts they give on some of that stuff.
    Yes! This exactly! There's no way they actually get the prices they "say" they'll get. I'd really like to know how it breaks down when all's said and done.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

One thing I have wondered is when Dave, Daryl et al take their items to various appraisers and experts, do these experts and appraisers get paid for their expertise? They act like they are all buddy buddy with each other, but anytime I have taken something to be appraised, I have had to pay a fee.
    nanarama likes this.

They showed one of their shops one time on this show (maybe they do it more often but I only saw it once) and I saw this giant hoarding collection of garbage and I couldn't fathom who was going there to buy stuff. I would have a hard time taking anyone with a shop like that seriously. Even if they had good items I owuld be highly skeptical of paying premium for them because I would wondering if they were scamming me.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

And when you consider you could go down the street to a Goodwill and find some of the same stuff for MUCH less . . . definitely makes you wonder.
    causingchaos likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    One thing I have wondered is when Dave, Daryl et al take their items to various appraisers and experts, do these experts and appraisers get paid for their expertise? They act like they are all buddy buddy with each other, but anytime I have taken something to be appraised, I have had to pay a fee.
    I'm guessing they don't get paid - or if they do, it's not much. The airtime they get by way of this show is HUGE.

FORT Fan

It definitely might be a situation where they waive their appraisal fee in exchange for the publicity they get from the show. I'm sure any appraisals done off camera cost money.

I've always wondered about their guesses on value/appraisals versus what they ACTUALLY make. I'm pretty skeptical that even with a never-opened item that they could get retail value in a second hand store. That skepticism goes up when it seems they're trying to put brand-new prices on something that has been used and sitting in storage for a long time. I'm not talking necessarily about antiques, but there's a lot of times someone will go "Oh, this dresser is worth $200" when they've already talked about how it ISN'T an antique kind of item and it's been hard used. Then there's the appraisals-ever notice how when someone says that something may be worth from $200-$300 they always go with the higher number on the scale in the final estimates?

I'd guess between labor costs of clearing/hauling/dumping units, cosmetic repairs (cleaning, repainting, etc) paying appraisal fees, and then negotiation sale prices in the stores, the profit line is probably much, much closer to breaking even for most of these guys. I still enjoy the show however, and it's great entertainment
    Hyper likes this.

FORT Fan

I wonder if prices for used goods are a lot higher in California. I go to a lot of auctions on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and you can get a truckload of junk for a $2 bid on most days -- the same kind of stuff these guys are paying thousands of bucks for. No one here will buy a used couch or used mattress. If it's been stored in the heat, the fabric will probably rip the first time anyone sits on it. Plus there's the bedbug issue. A used wooden table would bring maybe $5 or $10 at the most, not the $150 these guys claim to get. Last season there was a glass front curio cabinet with rounded sides, maybe 100 years old. Dave Hester said several hundred dollars, I don't remember exactly. I had an identical one -- which had been in a climate controlled house, not sitting in the heat -- and I couldn't get $20 for it.

I understand the excitement of finding cash or some rare antique, and I guess if you buy enough lockers you'll hit that eventually, but I would never pay more than $100 for the everyday used furniture and clothing.

+ Reply to Thread