+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Storage Wars

Re: Storage Wars

I have to post what I consider the funniest thing I have ever seen on tv!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the "chicken sunglasses" that????, I can't reall his name. He's the one with white hair who just wants to find collectibles. I love that guy.

When he put those little sunglasses on that chicken I just lost it. Now that's great television!!!!!!! I don't know if it is a new episode or old one, but I had never seen it before.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Love Barry too, but it kind of bugs me a little that they brought him in because he's known by somebody for all his visual special effects work in movies. Kind of a one producer to another, "hey, I know this really funny special effects guy who likes collecting stuff, you should get him for the show!" The other thing about Barry that bothers me is the way he absolutely trashes his storage unit to get at one stupid trunk or whatever he has his eye on. It's such a waste... at least sell off the rest to Brandy and Jarrod or something rather than destroying so much of it.
    Otherwise, he's a hoot!

Brandy is my favourite by far. She just seems to zero in on whatever is worth money in a locker. It's like, "this locker you bought is junk, Jarrod, hey... what's that?" Whatever she sees is worth something.

I think the Bary Weiss you're talking about is a different one. From A&E's site:

"One of the biggest questions fans have about you, Barry, is what you do for a living. The rumor is that you are or were a Hollywood producer ... true?
    (Laughing) No, no, I'm not. Actually, I've been an antique collector my entire life, and I was in the produce business for 20‑25 years, and I retired about four years ago. I just was traveling around the world and enjoying life, really. The way this opportunity came along was a close friend of mine, Thom Beers, who is the creator of the show, was over one night. I don't know, we were having a few drinks. He said he was working on something with these storage lockers, and would I like to be a part of it? And basically that's sort of how things unfolded."

So actually he worked in "produce" but not as a producer. There is a music producer named Barry Weiss. though.

I agree about him trashing the lockers. I wonder if they have an obligation to clean up the area after they buy or if they can just take what they want and walk away. And I mean in real life because most of those guys did this for years before the show started.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Embarassed. It occured to me just now that I had the wrong one and I slouched over here to correct myself. You did it for me, thank you.
    I shall find my rock and crawl under it.

ETA: Checking IMDB, the only other credit Barry Weiss has (besides Storage Wars) is a documentary called Motorcycle Mania III (a year in the life of Jesse James). I don't know quite how Barry relates to that, but now I want to know.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 11-30-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Since the confusion over Barry's identity is one of their "frequently asked questions," I don't see how you need to crawl under any rock! I actually had googled him last year because I was curious and that's how I found all this out.
    spockwhat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post

I agree about him trashing the lockers. I wonder if they have an obligation to clean up the area after they buy or if they can just take what they want and walk away. And I mean in real life because most of those guys did this for years before the show started.
    I know for the local places here in NC a condition of the unit purchase is having EVERYTHING removed from the locker within a specified period of time (you have to get everything out in one day/24 hrs). I assume if you don't then they may just slap a lock on it and sell it to someone else...

FORT Regular

I think the lockers were purchased by producers in a real action earlier. Likely the producers bought the unit and paid up a month of rent. Then they bring the cast and cameras in at a later date and stage the actions we see. That way they have more control over stuff and have plenty of time to film everything.

(*total speculation*)
    Debb70 likes this.

Maybe, but just from watching the show and reading interviews, I don't think so.

Plenty of times they go bust and find nothing of value in the locker. Sometimes the whole show ends with no one making big money. Also, they probably go through a lot of auctions before choosing the interesting ones to put on the air.

I have a bridal shop and one of my brides went to Bridals by Lori (Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta) for her bridesmaids dresses. Apparantly they film a bunch of people and then choose which ones they want to show. They actually called her weeks later and said that her segment was chosen-because she had the maid of honor from Hell who has since been "fired" and it made good tv.

I think they probably do the same thing on this show. If you think about it, they often have driven a very long way to an auction and then after we see only three auctions they're done? I'm sure that what we're not seeing is the number of auctions conducted including the units that other people win.

FORT Regular

Reminder... New episode tonight and the premier of Storage Wars: Texas

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    I think they probably do the same thing on this show. If you think about it, they often have driven a very long way to an auction and then after we see only three auctions they're done? I'm sure that what we're not seeing is the number of auctions conducted including the units that other people win.
    That's actually why I think the auctions we see on the show are not the real, public auctions. There would be too much risk/cost associated with bringing the cast and crew to public auctions. What if all the units were junk and the cast got outbid by random people? There would be nothing they could show and they would have wasted a lot of time and money. That's why I think the producers go to the real public auctions, buy units, and then stage the auctions we see at a later date. I don't think it's totally scripted--the cast is probably free to bid as they want--but I doubt we're seeing the real public auctions of these units.
    Debb70 likes this.

I once googled the names of the people who bid on the show and it listed them as employees of Storage Wars. That led me to believe they don't really do any resale. It's all a part of the show. Anyone know?

+ Reply to Thread