+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Storage Wars

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Storage Wars

They should have a program called "Estate Sales" . . . we have them all the time in our (active senior adult) community. The old folks die and the kids try to sell their stuff. You haven't lived until you've walked through and seen a half a box of Minute Rice with a rubber band to keep it shut - yours for just $.10!!!!

But there are some treasures to be found, too!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    They should have a program called "Estate Sales" . . . we have them all the time in our (active senior adult) community. The old folks die and the kids try to sell their stuff. You haven't lived until you've walked through and seen a half a box of Minute Rice with a rubber band to keep it shut - yours for just $.10!!!!

But there are some treasures to be found, too!
    Oh my gosh, AZ, you will love this show then. Its called "CASH AND CARI" on HGTV!

Cari does all Estate Sales. Its awesome. Here is the link. Watch her video.

Cash & Cari : Cari Cucksey : Home & Garden Television
    Allie and AZChristian like this.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Yes I saw that .The producers hid a BMW in one storage locker, and something else.
    I call boloney on the whole thing because if they did this, then they could face criminal charges (at least fraud for opening a bin and saying it wasn't opened until just then). If I recall correctly the owner has 30 days to pay up between the default notice and the sale. If it's opened between that time then they can get sued if anything is missing.

Don't think I don't see it as faked - I'm sure they reshoot scenes for dramatic effect, but I don't think items are planted.

I personally think Hester is suing because he asked for and didn't get a raise (IMHO didn't deserve it), and/or his store is going in the tank because he clearly overprices his "bills" (markups) on items. (and yes, he does it worse than the husband of the couple). Well that and his an arrogant narcissist - and what you see on TV you can't edit to fit with him.

Barry's the only one who really sees that show for what it is - bid, see if you get something, and sell (or his case keep or give away mostly) the items.

Another point in the suit - the "extras" are those who are also bidding on the bins as well. Barry said that there are usually 12-15 storage lockers up for auction and those are bid on by all of them, and some of the others get the bins. IMHO this means that once all the bidding is done they feature the ones that were won by the main "characters" of the show. It's not difficult or super expensive to film each individual bin, have the characters comment on it, and bid, then delete the lost ones.

For someone supposedly smart as Hester he knows jack squat about the broadcast industry.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I call boloney on the whole thing because if they did this, then they could face criminal charges (at least fraud for opening a bin and saying it wasn't opened until just then). If I recall correctly the owner has 30 days to pay up between the default notice and the sale. If it's opened between that time then they can get sued if anything is missing.

Don't think I don't see it as faked - I'm sure they reshoot scenes for dramatic effect, but I don't think items are planted.

I personally think Hester is suing because he asked for and didn't get a raise (IMHO didn't deserve it), and/or his store is going in the tank because he clearly overprices his "bills" (markups) on items. (and yes, he does it worse than the husband of the couple). Well that and his an arrogant narcissist - and what you see on TV you can't edit to fit with him.

Barry's the only one who really sees that show for what it is - bid, see if you get something, and sell (or his case keep or give away mostly) the items.
    I don't really care. I stopped watching some time ago and heard this on the news.. Its reality TV. I wouldn't put anything past them - including a BMW
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I watched the show occasionally, and while I'm not naive about producer meddling -- or in this case, totally making s*** up -- it absolutely ruins a series if I know that the whole thing is a lie. I stopped watching Cheaters after that got exposed; I can't watch House Hunters. Forget about South Beach Tow and even Duck Dynasty, which has the best reality cast ever and has absolutely no need for its contrived set-ups.

Do producers think that our attention spans are so short that we can't watch a show about interesting people doing sometimes boring things without them trying to gild the lily? It's like having all natural ingredients for a cake, then adding a bunch of artificial flavoring. It doesn't make it better, it just makes it faker. Maybe this is why I'm increasingly drawn to more documentary-style TV (Deadliest Catch, Whale Wars). They have their own Heisenberger effect, but at least they try to be honest.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Storage Wars

Pawn Stars is just as bad. We're supposed to believe that people are wandering in there all the time with Civil War artifacts when pawn stores mostly end up with electronics and jewelry pawned by desperate people. There's a reason there's no pawn shops on Rodeo Drive and the like. Pawn store owners are opportunistic rip-off artists. I don't know how they sleep at night.

Anyway, I'm over this show. Barry is a cute old fella and he clearly enjoys playing his part, but I'm tired of looking at Darryl in his wifebeaters and Brandy sulking & teetering around in high heels at a dirty storage yard.

A&E is terrible now. I yearn for the days of Bill Curtis & American Justice, and miniseries like Pride & Prejudice. Who the hell wants to watch Duck Dynasty marathons 3 times a week?
    Hyper likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Pawn Stars is just as bad. We're supposed to believe that people are wandering in there all the time with Civil War artifacts when pawn stores mostly end up with electronics and jewelry pawned by desperate people. There's a reason there's no pawn shops on Rodeo Drive and the like. Pawn store owners are opportunistic rip-off artists. I don't know how they sleep at night.

Anyway, I'm over this show. Barry is a cute old fella and he clearly enjoys playing his part, but I'm tired of looking at Darryl in his wifebeaters and Brandy sulking & teetering around in high heels at a dirty storage yard.

A&E is terrible now. I yearn for the days of Bill Curtis & American Justice, and miniseries like Pride & Prejudice. Who the hell wants to watch Duck Dynasty marathons 3 times a week?
    Ya, why is she all of a sudden doing that ? When the show first started she wore jeans like anyone would who is going through a storage locker. NOW she is always in dresses. ODD.
    KAREN

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

I've thought /known from the beginning that Storage Wars was rigged. I know someone who has done storage auctions for years in the San Francisco Bay Area since long before this show came on. The kinds of items they find each episode on TV are once-in-a-decade finds. Also, the guy who lives next door to my mother's house owns a storage place. He loves SW because he has a lot more bidders now, but says 99% of units contain household crap (of course, he doesn't always end up seeing everything that a buyer finds).

How I always figured they worked it on the tv shows is that the producers rent some units and fill them up with junk and hidden treasures. They pay rent for a month or two, stop paying rent, and then the units go up for auction. All legal in terms of storage auction rules.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post

They need Barry to just do the show himself, and as he tends to give the items away or other oddities (such as the time he drove a tactor over a wireless lawn cutter) and they won't have to do any setting up or the like. He's doing it for fun - and was hired FOR that reason. He wasn't hired for the business part.

BTW - I know reality TV is staged sometimes to the point of absurdity; however, I won't diss on any of the characters unless warranted. In Barry's case, I feel I do have to stand up for him.

+ Reply to Thread