+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Downsized - WE

Downsized - WE

Anyone watching this? The first episode seemed so totally staged but the second episode we're finding out more about why they're in the mess they're in. It's about a blended family, she has 5 kids and he has 2. His company went out of business and they're deep in debt. They filed bankruptcy but still really live outside their means.

Re: Downsized - WE

I watched the first episode and I don't think I will be watching again. I understand not wanting to take money from a relative and all the attachments that can come with it, HOWEVER I thought that letting the kids know that rent can't be paid was incredibly unfair to the children. They have enough to worry about being their age and in high school, they don't need to be worrying about paying the rent. That is something the adults need to worry about and take care of. The way the parents presented it to the children like it was something they all needed to take care of seemed very unfair and selfish to me. Growing up my parents never made me worry about bills getting paid and I really do thank them for that. Your only young once and God knows once you get older you worry enough about bills. I know it would have been hard but I really do think the parents should have swallowed their pride and accepted the handout from the relatives. Yes, it's embarrassing, but making it a problem the kids have to worry about was unfair to the children. And I do agree about this show being staged. EVERYTHING they did was so fake and phony just for the cameras.

It was fun seeing all the scenic shots of Arizona! Just moved to Seattle six months ago from AZ so it was a nice reminder seeing all the scenery.

Yeah I agree with you, the second episode didn't seem as staged though.

FORT Newbie

I'm still on the fence with this one. The first episode was extremely staged, but I agree the second one was better. I cringed at the daughter using the food stamps card. BTDT and I think it's unfair to put a kid in that position. I realize she's a teenager, but I still don't agree with it. I agree with a previous poster that kids need to be kids and putting them in an embarrassing situation is unfair.

I also call BS on mom "needing" a Starbucks every day because she has MS. I'm thinking some healthy vitamins will do more for her than a quick shot of espresso.

Quote Originally Posted by wymama;4108880;
    I also call BS on mom "needing" a Starbucks every day because she has MS. I'm thinking some healthy vitamins will do more for her than a quick shot of espresso.

Seriously? I was just this Tuesday diagnosed with MS. My neurologist did not say one thing about adding Starbucks to my diet. I need to ask him about that next visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick;4109408;
    Seriously? I was just this Tuesday diagnosed with MS. My neurologist did not say one thing about adding Starbucks to my diet. I need to ask him about that next visit.
    I know a person with MS would, anyone like me to ask her?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Newbie

Based on their discussion, her condition causes her to get really tired and she falls asleep on her feet if she doesn't have her Starbucks. I believe this is the reason she gets the coffee and not because it actually aleviates MS symptoms. I'm sympathetic to her condition, but I'm just thinking there may be a cheaper, more effective treatment than a Venti non-fat latte.

Quote Originally Posted by wymama;4109594;
    Based on their discussion, her condition causes her to get really tired and she falls asleep on her feet if she doesn't have her Starbucks. I believe this is the reason she gets the coffee and not because it actually aleviates MS symptoms. I'm sympathetic to her condition, but I'm just thinking there may be a cheaper, more effective treatment than a Venti non-fat latte.

fatigue can be a symptom of MS. I am just now learning about it. But can't she just brew some extra strong Folgers instead of buying a $5 latte?

Just caught up with episodes I recorded over the past weeks. At first (like most viewers probably), I was totally pissed at the way these people had been living & spending, spending, spending. Like lots of people, they thought the good times would never end but they did & like lots of other people, they are paying a very high price (oh no, not the cable!) for their profligate ways. But unlike lots of other people, they seem to really want to fix their own problems. I can only imagine how hard it must have been for the mom & daughters to clean that woman's house but they did it. And made their own 'green' cleaning products. (I personally like the smell of vinegar after Mike, a college student, has cleaned my house.)

I am sure they will be very relieved when they don't have to use food stamps any more. I'm not sure how I feel about their not paying taxes on the money-making schemes . . . although they may be if the state & feds twig to them.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;4116703;
    I can only imagine how hard it must have been for the mom & daughters to clean that woman's house but they did it. And made their own 'green' cleaning products. (I personally like the smell of vinegar after Mike, a college student, has cleaned my house.)
    I agree, I think she WAY underbid that job too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast