+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Downsized - WE

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: Downsized - WE

Quote Originally Posted by Snacks;4159138;
    Thats the last one I watched. When is it coming back? If that was the season finale it was kind of anti climatic! It was only 5 or 6 episodes and they really didnt show much. I thought they were going to go through a lot of steps til we saw a huge change in their situation. We never did, imo!
    Seriously, that couldn't have been the season finale, right? I mean, I thought they were alluding to hearing whether they'd have to split up for 6 months. How could they leave us hanging like that - NONE of their issues were resolved!

I did hear that they're renewed for a second season. I'm actually hoping it'll be another family - it doesn't seem realistic to continue with this one if they've been payed by WE...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

That's right. That was the finale. I saw it. He was leaving for his flight at the airport to see if he would accept that new job. I predict he will not take it, if and when it returns.

This started again last night. They have 18K left from the show and Todd wants to buy a house but Laura wants to keep the money as an "emergency" fund. I can see both sides to that.
    Debb70 likes this.

I can too. They should consult with another financial adviser. I think they need some kind of emergency fund. Directing all of their savings into a house down payment puts them in a bad spot. If anything should go wrong, illness, loss of job, and they can't pay their mortgage, then they are in worse shape than if it's a rental. With the mortgage, they would have to incur lots of expenses to get out from under it. PLUS, no house is a guarantee. What if you buy the new house and soon thereafter have to replace plumbing, electrical, heating, cooling, etc. I know the husband is a house builder, but things still cost to replace. With no emegency fund, how would they do it?

Oh, why does husband think that they would be free of parking restrictions if they bought a house. Most neighborhoods have HOA's and they limit where you an park and how many vehicles too. I think he's rushing it. I didn't see all of the show last night. I'll catch it later.

LG.

I saw a preview for the next season and they made it sound like they had a bunch of unpaid medical bills because of her MS. She's had this medical condition for a long time. They have many kids. She works for a school district. Why on earth would they not have medical insurance? With a chronic health condition, it's absolutely a financial disaster in the making to not have it. School districts have the best coverage going for their employees.

I'm so annoyed with them I don't think I can watch another season of their "woe is me" parade when they are causing their own financial problems with their own really dumb choices. I have a son with a serious health condition. You don't even think about jeopardizing your health coverage.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I didn't see that part about medical bills. I pray that she is covered with that condition. I supposed they could have a bunch of uncovered medical bills. I have coverage, but I have to meet my deductible and then my insurance pays a certain percentage.

I don't know much about her condition, but I do know someone who has MS and they take regular injections of a drug that is supposed to help them. I think it is expensive too. I am a Type I diabetic and even with insurance, paying for my insulin, needles, test strips, etc. is VERY expensive. And if you have health coverage, there is virtually no place that will help you with those costs.

Okay so far I think things are a little far fetched. They're all worried about Rex's hospital bill, make payment arrangements with the hospital! You don't have to pay the whole 25K or whatever at once, sheesh! Also, I bought my house with no down payment, it was a new build but still, I wouldn't think they would have to put all that much down on the new house.

Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    Okay so far I think things are a little far fetched. They're all worried about Rex's hospital bill, make payment arrangements with the hospital! You don't have to pay the whole 25K or whatever at once, sheesh! Also, I bought my house with no down payment, it was a new build but still, I wouldn't think they would have to put all that much down on the new house.
    From what I understand, banks are being a bit more firm on down payments and what type of loans they give out. I have not seen nearly as many no-down-payment offers this year.

Why wouldn't the kids qualify for Medicad? Don't they cover kids who parents are divorced? Even though mom is now married, she's not married to the kids father.

I didn't catch the details on their health insurance, but she said they were denied because of a pre-existing condition. I have been told by a reliabe source, that with the Obama Care, insurance companies cannot deny you for a preexisting condition. Maybe there are some stipulations, but mom needs to appeal the decision and get some legal advice to confirm what they are doing is legal. Sometimes you have to fight for your rights and not roll over.

LG.

insurance companies cannot deny children coverage due to a preexisting condition as of 2010, and under the health care reform act, that will apply to adults in 2014. Here's a link. I think these folks are nuts if they don't get health coverage, and can't see why on earth she doesn't have her employer's coverage if she is still a teacher.
    here is a link regarding the preexisting coverage rules:
    Insurance Protections for Children | HealthCare.gov
    Debb70 likes this.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast