Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palins Alaska

Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

I have one thing to say about this woman and her most recent famewhoring expedition - mama grizzly or no, she is not smarter than your average bear.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Hi guys, we have a thread to discuss Sarah Palin's politics in the Current Events forum. Let's keep this thread for the show and move the discussion of her tweets and antics to that thread.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

This is the Alaska version of Get Out!

Hopefully all the obese Americans who watch it will be motivated to get outside and be active.

Who else here gets up at 4 am to work out like Palin?

I like the HD photography. Alaska seems pretty boring if you're not into fishing.

Next week they're hunting. Lock 'n Load!

Bam Bam should try fishing instead of basketball. Might be safer for him.
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharmOffensive;4116390;
    This is the Alaska version of Get Out!

Hopefully all the obese Americans who watch it will be motivated to get outside and be active.

Who else here gets up at 4 am to work out like Palin?

I like the HD photography. Alaska seems pretty boring if you're not into fishing.

Next week they're hunting. Lock 'n Load!

Bam Bam should try fishing instead of basketball. Might be safer for him.
    As one of the non-obese Americans, I do get up at 4:30 to work out. Even though Sarah says she does, while she was inching up the rockface, I noticed that she has major "junk in the trunk."
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

The show is beautifully done and it is not a political tool for Republicans. Watching Sarah shoot a gun and catch fish reminds me of the self sufficiency on which this great country was built. Now we seem to have a country filed with people who think the government should take care of them. Kudos to Sarah and the entire Palin family for showing us how beautiful Alaska is and how wonderful life can be when we work hard to achieve success.

Quote Originally Posted by lithargic;4116957;
    The show is beautifully done and it is not a political tool for Republicans. Watching Sarah shoot a gun and catch fish reminds me of the self sufficiency on which this great country was built. Now we seem to have a country filed with people who think the government should take care of them. Kudos to Sarah and the entire Palin family for showing us how beautiful Alaska is and how wonderful life can be when we work hard to achieve success.
    Alaskan independence is as fictional as Palin's hunting/fishing prowess. The Federal government spends 71% more on Alaskans than any other state. They cannot subsist without without this funding which makes Alaska, literally, a welfare state.

Here's a critique of Sarah's hunting/fishing abilities, based on her show's trailer:

Revealed: Sarah Palin doesn’t have a clue how to fish or shoot | Guy Adams | Independent The Foreign Desk Blogs

On 21 seconds, you will see Palin allegedly trying to catch salmon. Close examination of her equipment reveals that she is using a spinning rod and a reel (you can also see this in the screengrab above). This is significant: in the world of country pursuits, spinning is a dull and repetitive technique largely used by either children or complete beginners. Real afficianados prefer to fly fish, a more complex and absorbing style of fishing, which takes many years to master.

On 27 seconds, meanwhile, you will see Palin stand bolt upright in the boat. This is unsafe, likely destabilise the vessel, and something that anyone who’s spent significant amounts of time on water would simply never do. Especially when they’re a few yards from a potentially-dangerous bear and their children are also in the flat-bottomed craft.

Finally, on 1 minute 20 seconds, the camera cuts to a picture of her loading what appears to be a pump-action shotgun (a vulgar weapon that has no place in a civilised sporting armoury, though that’s another story). A seasoned shot would re-load their weapon with the muzzle facing towards the ground, for reasons of safety: if it accidentally goes off it won’t endanger anyone. She appears, however, to be holding it on her hip and waving it ahead of her like it’s a harmless toy. This is not the behaviour of someone who knows what they’re doing with a firearm.

From this admittedly-short trailer, I would therefore agree with Mr Johnston: the former Governor of Alaska has embellished her outdoorsy credentials, perhaps in an effort to appeal to red-necked portions of the Republican movement.

She looks, to me, like a woman who is completely inexperienced at fishing, shooting, using a boat, rock-climbing, moutnaineering, and all the other folksy pursuits she’s supposed to have mastered years ago.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Thanks Poppy Fields. That was a great post. I haven't watched the show, but I have seen previews for it as they cannot be avoided when watching TLC. As I watch TLC, I know there is no limit to how low they will go. I have seen that over the years.

I came to this thread because I was curious as to whether Sarah actually shoots the elk they show her aiming at in the preview. I'm just curious. I'm not a big hunting fan, however, I have no objection to those who like hunting to do it. If you eat what you kill and enjoy the sport, I say fine. I live in an area where we have a great over population of deer, so I don't oppose hunting them. I do advocate gun safety, which many people totally ignore. Let's hope Sarah's dad teaches her some if she's handling a firearm the way you describe above.

I just wonder if she is able to kill the elk. I'm not sure how it would feel to take down a magnificent animal. I'm curious as to how she reacts. Will she be joyous? Will she act all tough about it? I don't believe that she has killed animals before, regardless of what she says. I think it would hurt me in the heart, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4117184;
    Here's a critique of Sarah's hunting/fishing abilities, based on her show's trailer:

Revealed: Sarah Palin doesn’t have a clue how to fish or shoot | Guy Adams | Independent The Foreign Desk Blogs
    Okay, as I read through the article linked above, I'm thinking, "Huh, what is this guy talking about?" (and near the end also wondering why the term red-neck seems to be used so easily and often despite the racial tone)... and the first few comments listed after the article pretty well sum up my feelings. Things like this article, which come across to me as grasping at straws to find fault, I don't understand the reasong behind it.

I don't think Sarah Palin claims to be the best at every activity featured on this show - she'd probably say that title goes to Todd (aka "Capt. America").
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 11-30-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;4117246;
    Okay, as I read through the article linked above, I'm thinking, "Huh, what is this guy talking about?" (and near the end also wondering why the term red-neck seems to be used so easily and often despite the racial tone)... and the first few comments listed after the article pretty well sum up my feelings. Things like this article, which come across to me as grasping at straws to find fault, I don't understand the reasong behind it.

I don't think Sarah Palin claims to be the best at every activity featured on this show - she'd probably say that title goes to Todd (aka "Capt. America").
    The reason is simple. She's portraying herself as someone who does these type of things on a regular basis when the fact is she is an amature.

This seems to be a recurring theme with Sarah.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4117257;
    The reason is simple. She's portraying herself as someone who does these type of things on a regular basis when the fact is she is an amature.

This seems to be a recurring theme with Sarah.
    A novice, yes. One who does not even know how to load a gun. Or not to stand up in the boat.

Closed Thread