Closed Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palins Alaska

Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by chris_in_kcmo;4110450;
    I was pleasantly impressed with the show. I am a Palin fan but thought the show might be a bad idea. I think it made her and her family appear in a positive light and definately showcased the beauty of alaska. I hope there are not a lot of the "not-so-subtle" political messages because it just gives her detractors ammunition to blast her. I think people get her political message (like the fence or the mamma bears) without having her blatantly point it out.

Seems like so far it has good ratings and looking around the net more people were pleasantly surprised. The folks who don't like her won't change their minds but I think it may sway the folks that were on the fence about her.

I read some about the "neighbor" and it seems like his m.o. is to move next to his writing targets. His complaints about him being shown are baseless because he was sitting out in the open where he was publically visible. They never say his name or show his face. I think it's funny that he is making a stink about his privacy when his method for book research is to watch his subject in their home enviornment. Nice double-standard.

I am excited to see more of the show and more of Alaska.

The difference is he is the only one viewing whomever he lives next to. Putting him on SP's show means that nearly 5 million people are seeing him. It is an invasion of privacy and a petty way to get back at him, IMHO.

One of my beefs with SP is her pettiness, and if she's going run in 2012 she'll have to deal with folks who don't like her schtick in a more acceptable manner.

Of course Barbara Bush's most famous video is the one where she says Katrina survivors were happy being upgraded from their homes to the cheek-by-jowl tent city at the football dome. Palin's push to get tax breaks for billionaires has about the same careless ring to it. Does Palin give a roaring rip about Alaska? I think not.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4111616;
    The difference is he is the only one viewing whomever he lives next to. Putting him on SP's show means that nearly 5 million people are seeing him. It is an invasion of privacy and a petty way to get back at him, IMHO.
    Nope, his complaints are baseless. Stay inside or go away when they're filming next door if you don't want to be seen by 5 million people. His moving next door to his next book's subject is a petty invasion of her privacy in a way. Maybe they both deserve each other as neighbors???

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4110337;
    I really love Barbara Bush!

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch this show because of Sarah Palin, but I hear such great things about the scenery, that I am a little tempted. They showed a small clip on The Daily Show and Sarah Palin used the example of her tall fence being what our country needs, and it irritated me. She's going to make all her little folksy comments and mix her folksy political messages into it and I just don't think I can watch it without getting a gun and shooting my television. J/K
    I agree. I find the woman so annoying that I really haven't been tempted to watch. I see enough of it on the ads for the show.

The ratings are through the roof so people are watching. I am and I'll continue to do so.
    Actually, according to the Hollywood Reporter, the show lost 40% of its premiere night viewers this week, and of the 3 million who did watch, only 885K are from the preferred 18-49 age bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4108923;
    The myth, that was perpetuated in the media and this thread, is that Palin herself hunts wolves from a helicopter for fun.

Yes she supported it as a form of predator control, so do many many others. It's not just Alaska that does this, but as govenor of Alaska she supported public policies that she felt were the best for her state, but she didn't go around personally shooting wolves from a helicopter.

I don't know where other federal politicians stand on this, but in Alaska it's universally popular.
    Do you live in Alaska? I did for many many years and I completely disagree with the assertion that this policy is "universally popular". It is as controversial an issue in Alaska as it is Outside.

Here is just one example of a problematic turn with the program from earlier this year...
    Fish and Game tight-lipped on killing of collared wolves: Wolves | adn.com

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;4112699;
    Do you live in Alaska? I did for many many years and I completely disagree with the assertion that this policy is "universally popular". It is as controversial an issue in Alaska as it is Outside.

Here is just one example of a problematic turn with the program from earlier this year...
    Fish and Game tight-lipped on killing of collared wolves: Wolves | adn.com
    I know that "reintroduction" programs provoke great controversy. In Montana and Wyoming people suggest that if you want to reintroduce wolves into ecosystems, why not begin in Central Park.

Maybe Alaska could round up it's "extra" wolves and relocate them.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I loved the scenery in episode 1, and loved watching Bristol and Tripp in episode 2. Tripp is super adorable. Looks like episode three is going to make me cry. This show has made me want to travel to see Alaska and I learned something new. I had no idea what a cravasse was so I googled it and learned a lot about glaciers. I am a conservative, so Sarah's politics don't bother me. I read her first book and agreed wholeheartedly with her on every major issue. I don't think she should run from President, though, because she is too polarizing (why I don't know, she just is.) I want to see more of this show.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;4112673;
    Actually, according to the Hollywood Reporter, the show lost 40% of its premiere night viewers this week, and of the 3 million who did watch, only 885K are from the preferred 18-49 age bracket.
    A drop of 40% in viewership from Episode One to Episode Two is very telling. I am sure that there were a lot of people who were just curious to see what her reality tv show was all about, and many of those people decided not to tune in to see the second episode.

It will be interesting to see if the trend continues and to hear how Sarah will spin this to somehow make it all the mainstream media's fault.....some kind of conspiracy. Maybe she needs to factor this in while she is "figuring out the lay of the land" in her quest for a run in 2012.

Another number she needs to figure in: 67% of voters do not think that she is qualified to be President of the United States.

Being a hardened liberal... I did tune into the show just to see what an ass she would make of herself. How in the world this woman thinks she qualified to run for President is beyond me. Can't understand why anyone supports her. I agree with the comment above... She's just too "polarizing".

The scenery was very pretty but I can get that on National Geographic. Since I love my flat screen TV and want it to stay in once piece... I won't be watching this show again.

Closed Thread