Closed Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palins Alaska

FORT Regular

Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4108770;
    Environmental reasons meaning: to control the wildlife population, to increase wildlife population available for hunting, to protect livestock...

Hunting is an important source of food for many Alaskans and is also a large source of tourism dollars for the state. Controlling of the wolf population has been done for a long time, before Palin ever entered the picture.

I think many people believe things about Palin that are just media myths, like that she enjoys shooting wolves from helicopters or said she could see Russia from her house etc etc

Someone was attributing the phrase lipstick on a pig to Palin when it was Obama that said it during the election. I'm sure lots of people has used the phrase as it is an American saying. I saw Obama's speech and when he said that, before there was any media outcry, and I thought it was in poor taste and his speech writers should have realized how it would sound.
    While I agree that it could "sound" like he meant it for Palin (but didn't) it was McCain who used the phrase first...here is the chronological order:

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin referred to herself at the Republican National Convention as being a pit bull with lipstick.

Arizona Sen. John McCain in May 2008 called Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care proposals "lipstick on a pig."

Illinois Sen. Barack Obama told a gathering in Virginia in September 2008 that McCain's "change" message was "lipstick on a pig."

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4108723;
    Also, it's what the people of Alaska want. Wolves aren't endangered there, I even saw one as road kill within the Anchorage city limits when I visited. So in the more accessible hunting areas, where the wolf shooting was allowed, they are seen in much the same way as many people see coyotes in the lower 48. At least that seemed to be the opinion of people I met there.
    It wasn't illegal when Sarah Palin took office. I never said she created the program out of nowhere. She just upped the ante, showed what an enthusiastic non-subsistence hunter who enjoys hunting she is by offering a bounty program to the general public for aerial wolf hunting. (By the way, the bounty program was shut down almost instantly so how many Alaskans were clamoring for it?)

Also, I love Alaska and its people, and want to visit again and possibly even work there some summers when I finish school. But I would strongly encourage anyone who is disturbed by hunting, fishing, seeing furs and hides of varios animals, etc. to stay home, or if you do go stick to a cruise where you don't have toi see much byond tourist traps in the port cities.
    Is that what we've come to, telling people to stay home if they don't like something? I personally consider aerial hunting by helicopter to be a cowardly way to hunt. It's not people hunting as a traditional way of life. It's not even a call to make it safer for human populations. It's simply for - well, I think we've had a problem defining what it is for. Officially it was so that human hunters would have access to more moose and elk. I don't see all hunting as equal, and this was taking place in areas that are federal lands, so my opinion as an American citizen does have valid weight even though I do not live in Alaska.
    I think many people believe things about Palin that are just media myths, like that she enjoys shooting wolves from helicopters or said she could see Russia from her house etc etc
    You've said this twice now. There's no reason for anyone to defend Sarah Palin on this point. She is proud of this stance. Yes, it was already legal - but she was the one who took it a step further by offering to pay anyone $150 who could prove they had done it. It's not a "media myth".
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4108891;
    You've said this twice now. There's no reason for anyone to defend Sarah Palin on this point. She is proud of this stance. Yes, it was already legal - but she was the one who took it a step further by offering to pay anyone $150 who could prove they had done it. It's not a "media myth".
    The myth, that was perpetuated in the media and this thread, is that Palin herself hunts wolves from a helicopter for fun.

Yes she supported it as a form of predator control, so do many many others. It's not just Alaska that does this, but as govenor of Alaska she supported public policies that she felt were the best for her state, but she didn't go around personally shooting wolves from a helicopter.

I don't know where other federal politicians stand on this, but in Alaska it's universally popular.

Quote Originally Posted by www;4108785;
    While I agree that it could "sound" like he meant it for Palin (but didn't) it was McCain who used the phrase first...here is the chronological order:

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin referred to herself at the Republican National Convention as being a pit bull with lipstick.

Arizona Sen. John McCain in May 2008 called Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care proposals "lipstick on a pig."

Illinois Sen. Barack Obama told a gathering in Virginia in September 2008 that McCain's "change" message was "lipstick on a pig."
    Thanks for the chronology. Downthread, I referred to Palin saying "lipstick on a pig" over and over and over ad nauseum. She didn't say it first, but she repeated it like a parrot with a 30 word vocabulary.

Alaska is beautifully filmed in the TV show, Palin and Co. look good; she is very pretty, she sounds on the show as if she could possibly have a brain when we all know she doesn't; and for her duration on the political stage, I for one wish to god she'd get educated about U.S. history and current world events. She is better suited to being managed by friendly TV producers and book ghost writers.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4109042;
    Thanks for the chronology. Downthread, I referred to Palin saying "lipstick on a pig" over and over and over ad nauseum. She didn't say it first, but she repeated it like a parrot with a 30 word vocabulary.

Alaska is beautifully filmed in the TV show, Palin and Co. look good; she is very pretty, she sounds on the show as if she could possibly have a brain when we all know she doesn't; and for her duration on the political stage, I for one wish to god she'd get educated about U.S. history and current world events. She is better suited to being managed by friendly TV producers and book ghost writers.
    Prism, your post is pure perfection!

When I heard Palin's speech at the Repub convention, I was impressed. Then I learned it was written by Matthew Scully at the request of John McCain before his VP running mate was even chosen.

Scully, after GW Bush left office, said it was difficult to write Bush's speeches, Bush's mountaintop raping and national park logging deforestation being anathema to Scully. Scully learned about Palin, then gamely added Palin references and finished the speech. The hockey mom tripe was about the only thing in the speech that actually was Palin's.

We soon learned what Scully and McCain already were realizing- that Palin has no business being in a position of leadership. She does, however, appeal to the Rushblow Slimebaugh bunch, and the rest is history. I don't believe Palin is a conservator of Alaska at all, nor is she cognizant of the role wildlife plays in the environment. I don't believe she is anything like the character she plays in the television series. She's a total fake.
    Last edited by Prism; 11-19-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

A Change in the Wind: Sarah Palin Has Her Way with Matthew Scully

What was said awhile back about Palin/Scully.
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4109507;
    When I heard Palin's speech at the Repub convention, I was impressed. Then I learned it was written by Matthew Scully at the request of John McCain before his VP running mate was even chosen.

Scully, after GW Bush left office, said it was difficult to write Bush's speeches, Bush's mountaintop raping and national park logging deforestation being anathema to Scully. Scully learned about Palin, then gamely added Palin references and finished the speech. The hockey mom tripe was about the only think in the speech that actually was Palin's.

We soon learned what Scully and McCain already were realizing- that Palin has no business being in a position of leadership. She does, however, appeal to the Rushblow Slimebaugh bunch, and the rest is history. I don't believe Palin is a conservator of Alaska at all, nor is she cognizant of the role wildlife plays in the environment. I don't believe she is anything like the character she plays in the television series. She's a total fake.
    She would drain Alaska dry for oil and to h--- with the wildlife (of course she would have shot many of them by then). The whole shooting wolves fro a helicopter reminds me of when the white man would travel west and shoot buffalo from the trains for "sport". I don't think she gives a care for conserving natures beauty. I would rather this show be presented by someone who has worked in environmental concerns.... not worked against them.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Saw an excerpt from a CNN interview with Barbara Bush and former Pres. GHW Bush. Barbara was asked what she thinks of Sarah Palin as a possible presidential contender. Barbara smiled and said she had met Sarah at a dinner and thought she was very beautiful, but hopes she stays in Alaska! Go Barbara!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4110139;
    Saw an excerpt from a CNN interview with Barbara Bush and former Pres. GHW Bush. Barbara was asked what she thinks of Sarah Palin as a possible presidential contender. Barbara smiled and said she had met Sarah at a dinner and thought she was very beautiful, but hopes she stays in Alaska! Go Barbara!
    Gotta love Momma Bush!!!

KAREN

Closed Thread