Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palins Alaska

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4107283;
    But is Alaska?
    Given the amount of time she actually spends there these days, I think so.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter;4106805;
    You all will probably want to skewer and roast me over an open flame for this...but I like her and I enjoyed the show. I didn't say I agree with her politics...but I love Sarah's personality. She's upbeat and positive in an "aw shucks by gosh" kind of way...and for whatever reason is embedded deep in my psyche...if she was around me..I'd gravitate to her. The family seems fairly typical...teenagers, preteens, young ones and attitudes. Todd seems ever patient and supportive. The scenery is positively spectacular.

And as for that book writing nosey neighbor.....I'd smile, wave even pose for photos as I strolled by. Of course I might occasionally have my middle finger extended......ha ha!!!

Here's to you Palins..and the beautiful state of Alaska.
    Definitely no roasting or skewering! I support your right (and anyone else's) to like whomever you want. It's important to remember that here at FORT. I hate it when I see others attack someone for their likes or beliefs. Having different opinions is what makes this site so interesting and fun. How boring if we all agreed on everything.

Ok, forgive my last post....I sound very high and mighty, lecturing others on proper behavior.
    sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4106504;
    Not if you want the perspective of an "outdoorsy" woman who thinks it's fun to shoot wolves from a helicopter. National Geographic might actually appreciate the wildlife its filming.
    Just to set facts straight Palin never shot wolves from a helicopter or said anything about it being fun. Another rumor gone wild by a media with a "story line" about someone. Wolves are occasionally culled by this method in Alaska for environmental reasons.

and it was Obama who said "lipstick on a pig", not Palin.

The Discovery Channel has a few shows about and shot in Alaska that I've always enjoyed and will continue to enjoy. I will most certainly not be watching the toxic Sarah Palin in anything.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4107777;
    Just to set facts straight Palin never shot wolves from a helicopter or said anything about it being fun. Another rumor gone wild by a media with a "story line" about someone. Wolves are occasionally culled by this method in Alaska for environmental reasons.
    I feel the need to further straighten the facts here. Saying that aerial wolf hunting is done for "environmental reasons" is rather euphemistic. The program was put in place so that wolves wouldn't kill as many moose and caribou so that there would be more available for people to hunt. I have no idea if Palin has ever shot a wolf from a plane. However, I do know that this program is extremely controversial and she strongly promoted aerial wolf hunting in Alaska by offering a "bounty" to hunters that turned in a leg from the wolves that they killed.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;4107905;
    I feel the need to further straighten the facts here. Saying that aerial wolf hunting is done for "environmental reasons" is rather euphemistic. The program was put in place so that wolves wouldn't kill as many moose and caribou so that there would be more available for people to hunt. I have no idea if Palin has ever shot a wolf from a plane. However, I do know that this program is extremely controversial and she strongly promoted aerial wolf hunting in Alaska by offering a "bounty" to hunters that turned in a leg from the wolves that they killed.
    Thank you. The facts as you state them were well-publicized and documented. Sarah Palin had one of the worst records on the environment of any governor in the country.

You are right, I was speaking off the cuff. More accurately, while she was governor she offered a $150 bounty for any hunter who shot a wolf aerially then hacked off a leg and brought it in as proof. She was encouraging the general public - not government Fish and Game employees - to bring the wolf population down. Maybe it's an overstatement to say she thinks it's fun, but she is a cheerleader for hunting of any sort, including aerial hunting.

The science behind these "environmental" reasons is questionable and even S.P. herself didn't claim it has anything to do with the environment. It's strictly because she sees human hunters to be in competition with wolves over moose and caribou, and wants to even it out in favor of hunters.

Last year, 172 scientists signed a letter to Palin, expressing concern about the lack of science behind the state's wolf-killing operation. According to the scientists, state officials set population objectives for moose and caribou based on "unattainable, unsustainable historically high populations." As a result, the "inadequately designed predator control programs" threatened the long-term health of both the ungulate and wolf populations. The scientists concluded with a plea to Palin to consider the conservation of wolves and bears "on an equal basis with the goal of producing more ungulates for hunters."

Apparently Palin wasn't fazed. Earlier this year she introduced state legislation that would further divorce the predator-control program from science. The legislation would transfer authority over the program from the state Department of Fish and Game to Alaska's Board of Game, whose members are appointed by, well, Palin. Even some hunters were astounded by her power play.
    Her deadly wolf program - Sarah Palin - Salon.com
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

and it was Obama who said "lipstick on a pig", not Palin.
    And to clarify that, he did say it but he wasn't talking about her. She didn't grasp what he was saying, assumed he was speaking of her and ran with it. I watched his speech where that comment was made and he was absolutely not talking about Palin.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fanatic

I don't get the National Geographic Channel. If the current series were made without Palin, I might watch it. But not with her in it.

Closed Thread