Closed Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palins Alaska

FORT Fanatic

Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4124852;
    As a vegetarian living in an extremely pro-hunting community, I respect hunting. The hunters I know, though, legitimately do it for food. They use almost every part of the animal, they never take more than they need, etc. And the fun part does not necessarily come from the actual killing - the shooting, maybe, but not the actual death of the animal - but the bond they've developed with the people they hunt with. Boys go out to hunting cabins with their fathers and grandfathers and their friends, girls go hunting with their dads, it's really kind of lovely in a way. Also, the deer population here is so rampant that they (hunters) sort of provide a service to the community. I don't associate it with "trashy" at all.

I do, however, associate Sarah Palin with ignorance, fame mongering, and just have an utter disdain for her.
    Sarah Palin seems to have a respect for hunting that was passed down to her from her dad and grandfather. Her husband being part Eskimo has had hunting passed down to him from his dad and many prior to him going way back in history.

She often talked of the bond she and her dad had when hunting together, and now her son is a part of that bond.

On the show after the shooting they processed the meat just like mentioned and used every part of the animal. She mentioned how this winter they will have meat in the freezer to make all her meat dishes.

I didn't see any more "joy in killing" than I do here in the north country where I live and guys/girls go hunting.....she seemed just like any other hunter when they actually after sometimes waiting for days finally get their animal. She was nothing more, nothing less in that regard.

I don't see where she was any different than the million+ hunters in the USA...I did see the bond she had with her dad and how much they loved each other and the respect she feels toward him...which some choose to ignore....

Her show to me is giving people all over insight in how the people of Alaska live and how the outdoors and nature is such a large part of some of their lives....Great show!

FORT Fogey

My disdain for her comes not from hunting, believe me. I'd actually probably like her if she wasn't a politician. But I can't agree with her politics, and I find her to be woefully ignorant in many respects. How respectful of a hunter she is, her bond with her father (not sure where that came from), or how good her show is won't change what I think of her in that respect, nor should it. I don't believe any of this matters when it comes to whether or not she should be running our country - and I don't believe her politics have to affect her show.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4125407;
    My disdain for her comes not from hunting, believe me. I'd actually probably like her if she wasn't a politician. But I can't agree with her politics, and I find her to be woefully ignorant in many respects. How respectful of a hunter she is, her bond with her father (not sure where that came from), or how good her show is won't change what I think of her in that respect, nor should it. I don't believe any of this matters when it comes to whether or not she should be running our country - and I don't believe her politics have to affect her show.
    As I watched her show tonight I feel that she is giving back to Alaska. I feel she is doing this show to get people who had never thought of going to Alaska want to vacation there. Or for some who have thought about it, but never tried now have a desire to see this state because it is beautiful with so much natural beauty all around you. If you love the outdoors this is the place.

If you love the city life then maybe this is not for you in the upfront and personal way (camping, fishing, climbing mountains, etc) but maybe just to experience it by sightseeing would be enjoyable..

...I think that is the point they got across with Kate G. and her kids on the show. The kids were having fun, but the adult who was conditioned to a certain lifestyle was miserable with actually really experiencing the state.

I don't think doing this show has to do so much with politics, but a desire by her to motive people to step out of their comfort zone and try it in Alaska...

I don't feel this lady is ignorant...just the opposite......[mod edit]

...and I do get how some find her way out of their "comfort zone" so to speak.
    Last edited by hepcat; 12-12-2010 at 10:44 PM.

FORT Fogey

I think you're misunderstanding me... I don't dislike the show, I'm not saying it's a bad show, I think it's a great concept. Alaska is gorgeous, and a lot of people don't really know much about it. It's also very threatened by climate change, and if more people see its beauty hopefully more people will want to preserve that beauty.

I thought she handled the Gosselin situation pretty well, btw. But I can't ignore her saying things like "we should stand with our North Korean allies." As long as she sticks to showing people how wonderful Alaska is, I've got no issue with her.

Glad to find this thread; didn't know there was one until I went in search of some place to discuss tonight's trainwreck. "Kate Gosselin goes camping in Alaska." Bad, bad idea on Kate's PR's part.

I've been watching all of these episodes, except I change the channel during the gory parts. The scenery is really beautiful, and I like the family dynamic of the show. But tonight's episode was in a whole 'nother category. That was the most hilarious thing I have seen in a long, long while on TV.

Kate was obviously out of her element, and I can understand that to a point. I'm not much of an outdoors girl myself. However, the way she acted was both shameful and hilarious all at the same time. Permanent look of disdain on her face, refused to come out from under the tent covering to do anything with her kids. Complaining incessantly. Left Sarah, Todd, Willow, Piper, Sarah's dad Chuck, and Sarah's brother in charge of her 8 children while she did absolutely ZIP. Chuck comments that the kids had fun and never once complained. Also seemed well behaved to me. Todd finally (and wisely!) gets the heck out of dodge and fishes in an out of the way spot, away from the whinefest.

Then Kate has a grade A hissy fit about how she's cold and wet and hungry and "...just can't take it anymore!!!", complete with throwing something to the ground. The last straw? Not having paper towels, hand sanitizer and clean as snow kiddies after they made Smores (again with no help from her). So, she announces they're done and won't actually camp, but the children want to stay. To which she says (paraphrasing): "Fine, you're a Palin now. You're not a Gosselin anymore." They look upset and one of the girls then says she'll leave. Kate looks totally po'd and put off. Piper, a fan of the K+8 show, is asked by Sarah if she wants to walk them back to the plane, to which she gives the most hilarious look of disgust at the suggestion. Needless to say, she declined.

One of Kate's other choice comments, re: camping? "Why would you want to pretend to be homeless?!!!" In the words of Bugs Bunny: What a maroon.

I hope Tony Dovolani watched this show! He should get a kick out of it. She actually managed to make herself look even worse than she did on DWTS.

EW has a good take on it here: Sarah Palin's Alaska met the whining fury of Kate Gosselin . See paragraph 5, sentence 2 in particular.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4125443;
    I think you're misunderstanding me... I don't dislike the show, I'm not saying it's a bad show, I think it's a great concept. Alaska is gorgeous, and a lot of people don't really know much about it. It's also very threatened by climate change, and if more people see its beauty hopefully more people will want to preserve that beauty.

I thought she handled the Gosselin situation pretty well, btw. But I can't ignore her saying things like "we should stand with our North Korean allies." As long as she sticks to showing people how wonderful Alaska is, I've got no issue with her.
    Tears and rain......I do understand some people do find her strange to say the least....and I never heard her say that about North Korea...

...we all have different opinions about her.......not to say that my ideas are the right ones...nor yours....just different....I hope I did not offend you....but from what you have stated you just do not like her politics and never will....

fine.....I was just bringing up some nice things about her show and her family.

FORT Fogey

And I was defending her hunting on her show, because it's a lifestyle I'm familiar with and respect although I do not take part in it. I have been trying to agree with you, with the exception of what she stands for politically. On this show she mostly stands for Alaska, and I've got nothing against Alaska, although I do detest the cold.

Your opinions don't offend me at all, but I don't understand why you're acting as if I'm attacking you or disagreeing with you. I have been agreeing with you except about her politics.

I do simply dislike her politics. I will never change my mind about that. But that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with her show.

By the way, just you know, she did not make that statement about North Korea on the show, I apologize for being unclear.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4125452;
    And I was defending her hunting on her show, because it's a lifestyle I'm familiar with and respect although I do not take part in it. I have been trying to agree with you, with the exception of what she stands for politically. On this show she mostly stands for Alaska, and I've got nothing against Alaska, although I do detest the cold.

Your opinions don't offend me at all, but I don't understand why you're acting as if I'm attacking you or disagreeing with you. I have been agreeing with you except about her politics.

I do simply dislike her politics. I will never change my mind about that. But that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with her show.

By the way, just you know, she did not make that statement about North Korea on the show, I apologize for being unclear.
    T & R..........Got ya....then we agree the show is pretty good ..... politics in her regard we differ...

..just wanted to make sure I didn't make it sound like I was insulting you because of you not being on board with her because I truly like a discussion even if we differ....to me you get all sorts of thoughts that you would never know about if everyone agreed.

Aside from her politics, the issue I have with her right now is her lack of parenting. She 'chose' to have these children, yet she is running around the country like a chicken with her head cut off, promoting her show, her book, her political aspirations, instead of actually watching what her kids are doing. My question is this...who is caring for Trig while she's off galavanting? I have a close friend who has a daughter with DS. She needs a stable environment and gets upset easily if her routine is disrupted. If she's traveling with him, that can't be good for him. If she's leaving him at home, she's letting someone else raise this child. And I won't even get into what's wrong with Willow. Yikes. I just don't understand her at all.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Here I was channel surfing and came across two woman I can't stand Sarah Palin & Kate Gosselin. Did I really hear that fishwife, Kate equate camping with pretending to be homeless?Wow just wow. I was hoping a grizzly would come across the two of them and make a meal of them. Then I didn't want to cause a bear a upset stomach for chewing on varmints of their ilk.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Closed Thread