Closed Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palins Alaska

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

This article addresses the political aspects of the show, as well as the current ratings:

'Sarah Palin's Alaska' appears to be using animal hunting controversy to improve TLC's ratings

Is Mama Grizzly willing to kill just to improve her "Sarah Palin's Alaska" ratings?

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals thinks so.

The activist group believes the ex-Alaska governor is spending so much small screen time clubbing halibut and quartering caribou because she is trying to improve her TLC show's numbers.

"Sarah seems to think that resorting to violence and blood and guts may lure people into watching her boring show, but the ratings remain as dead as the poor animals she shoots," PETA's Vice President Dan Mathews said in a statement on Monday, following an episode in which Palin shot and graphically took apart a caribou.

Though "Sarah Palin's Alaska" premiered with 5 million viewers -- the highest program launch numbers in TLC history -- its second episode, in which the politico and her daughter Bristol clubbed halibut, only reeled in 3 million.

But Palin appeared to cash in on the negative press surrounding the halibut episode - which In Defense of Animals labeled a "snuff video” – ramping up controversial tweets surrounding her hunting escapades.

"Tomorrow-'Sarah Palin's Alaska' we slay salmon. A bunch of 'em. (Watch the Left's reaction to that, if harvesting halibut freaked them out!)," she tweeted on Nov. 27.

The tactic seemed to work as the TLC show's numbers rose to 3.5 million in the third episode.

Palin's most recent tweet, on Friday, appeared to bait PETA into responding to her expedition with her father.

"PETA: yes, that is responsible hunting you see in 'Sarah Palin's Alaska' video tease for Sunday night. Remember - we eat, therefore we hunt," she tweeted ahead of the episode's air date.

"Tonight's hunting episode of Sarah Palin's Alaska "controversial"?" she added later on Facebook. "Really? Unless you've never worn leather shoes, sat upon a leather couch or eaten a piece of meat, save your condemnation of tonight's episode. I remain proudly intolerant of anti-hunting hypocrisy. "

The tweet seems to subtly confirm a blog post by Tim Heffernan of Esquire.com that suggests Palin is using hunting as a political act.

"[It's] simply a fact of modern American life that hunting, in part as a subset of Second Amendment activism, is a politicized act," he wrote on Monday. "The 5 percent of Americans who hunt belong to communities where Sarah Palin is most popular, which is why every shot she lands on SPA, every fish she hooks, will draw her tighter to their hearts -- and further from the mainstream."

Read more: 'Sarah Palin's Alaska' appears to be using animal hunting controversy to improve TLC's ratings
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4122530;
    Excellent post. She got a taste of fame and then dumped her job to be a celebrity.

I loathe it when she paints people with such broad strokes. Stating that those who receive unemployment are somehow lazy and don't want to work is ridiculous. Especially coming from someone who quit her job to seek fame.

There are a lof of very good, hard-working people out there without jobs. I highly doubt they'd appreciate being labeled as lazy.
    THANK YOU!!!

I spent over 30 years in the work force, helped raise 3 children, and NEVER drew one dime in government or state aid. Now, through no fault of my own, I've been laid off, and suddenly I'm some kind of dead beat who's sitting on my butt raking in a huge welfare check every month! I've got a job. I make $4.55 per hour plus tips part time. I also attend college full time in order to make myself (at age 51, not a desirable age for most employers) more marketable. If that's lazy, I'll take the old days of working a 40 hour a week job with decent pay, benefits, and a little respect from my fellow human beings!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4122748;
    THANK YOU!!!

I spent over 30 years in the work force, helped raise 3 children, and NEVER drew one dime in government or state aid. Now, through no fault of my own, I've been laid off, and suddenly I'm some kind of dead beat who's sitting on my butt raking in a huge welfare check every month! I've got a job. I make $4.55 per hour plus tips part time. I also attend college full time in order to make myself (at age 51, not a desirable age for most employers) more marketable. If that's lazy, I'll take the old days of working a 40 hour a week job with decent pay, benefits, and a little respect from my fellow human beings!
    Fantastic post Lil Bit! On topic, I have no desire to watch this show. I don't care about this woman, her life, her kids.....She is no more relevent to me than Kate Gosselin.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4122585;
    This article addresses the political aspects of the show, as well as the current ratings:

'Sarah Palin's Alaska' appears to be using animal hunting controversy to improve TLC's ratings
    It sounds like Sarah Palin is doing what she is best at ...... stirring things up. I refuse to watch even one minute of this woman's show on TLC, so that I won't ever be a part of the 5 million or even the 3.5 million people who watch it.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Big Truck Adventure Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar

I just saw the hunting clip and I'm not going to weigh in on the pro or anti hunting issue. The one thing that distrubed me the most was her trigger discipline. When her dad(?) handed her the second rifle, after she missed with the first rifle, she immediatly put her finger inside the trigger guard and kept it there while she moved the rifle all around, looking for a good base to shoot from. The best way to avoid a negligent discharge is to keep your finger off the trigger until your are ready to shoot, and experienced hunters and shooters know that. Mrs. Palin doesn't appear to be the frontier gunslinger that she wants us to believe she is.

I will say I know nothing at all about guns or hunting at all. But I said to DH while watching "why are they doing all this whispering to each other while attempting to shoot that Caribou and then the gun goes off and it is so thunderous"...BOOM. Then Palin misses and they are all whispering again and then... BOOM, more whispering and more... BOOM.

Why are they whispering?

Disturbing episode.
    KAREN

FoRTer

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4121593;
    ...Also, when hunters I know say it's a "fun" sport, I think what most really mean is that they enjoy getting outside, seeing nature, etc, and get satisfaction from providing for themselves and family, plus knowing they could do so for however long necessary if there were some kind of national emergency or something. (NO, I don't think we are about to be out of food in this country, I'm just saying something COULD happen someday to disrupt the supply) . I've never heard anyone mentioning that they actually find it amusing or funny to kill animals for the heck of it. I hope that's what Sarah Palin means when she says it's fun to hunt, and I'm reasonably sure it is. I do enjoy this show, and if some of the people who are commenting without seeing it at all watched at all, they would have seen this past episode where the family worked on their fishing boat. I thought it was great that the whole family did so well together when for the most part, the fishing days it showed didn't really result in very many fish in the nets after a ton of hard work. I don't like the political Sarah Palin, and i hate her speaking voice, but this family seems a lot more grounded and united than most I see on TV to me.
    I agree, and usually shooting/archery/fishing skills are learned from a parent or grandparent; so multi-generational bonds and great memories are often tied to these sports. I know that's true in my family, and I find it sad to read that some people think it's trashy or despicable. I think of it as a cultural tradition - one that is not to be shared or appreciated by all, but perhaps could be respected.

Initially I wasn't sure I'd like watching the whole family in this show, but turns out that it does give a really nice dynamic. I like it.

FORT Fogey

As a vegetarian living in an extremely pro-hunting community, I respect hunting. The hunters I know, though, legitimately do it for food. They use almost every part of the animal, they never take more than they need, etc. And the fun part does not necessarily come from the actual killing - the shooting, maybe, but not the actual death of the animal - but the bond they've developed with the people they hunt with. Boys go out to hunting cabins with their fathers and grandfathers and their friends, girls go hunting with their dads, it's really kind of lovely in a way. Also, the deer population here is so rampant that they (hunters) sort of provide a service to the community. I don't associate it with "trashy" at all.

I do, however, associate Sarah Palin with ignorance, fame mongering, and just have an utter disdain for her.

Well, you know what, from everything I've seen of Palin and heard out of her mouth, she now could roll away a stone, rise up and fly out with a halo hovering over her pretty little face, and I'd still despise her. I suspect she has a forked tail.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

FORT Fogey

Oh I totally agree. I just did want to defend hunting, and separate it from that idiot a bit.

Closed Thread