Closed Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palins Alaska

FORT Fogey

Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

All this just proves that Palin is not fit to be President. She's just alienated a large chunk of the country to satisfy her own urges and ego. Not smart from a strategy standpoint.

And, I can only think what she'd do in serious negotiations with other world powers.

I keep thinking of Rebecca Howe from Cheers in the episode where she delcares "I am too stupid to live!" No that I wish Palin dead or anything...she's just not a bright bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4117558;
    And the idea that only little kids and beginners use spinning rods is even sillier. The vast majority of "serious" fishermen do NOT fly-fish, especially for something as strong as a salmon that will require a very expensive and specialized setup that's useless for anything else, if you insist on fly fishing for them. I've been salmon fishing quite a few times, and the standard set up is a 9 foot spinning rod with a medium large reel--like SP's on this picture.
    I completely agree. I grew up fishing in Alaska and I never fished with a fly rig. In fact, I have rarely seen people fly fish there unless it is in a location where only fly fishing is allowed due to regulations.

The original post on this point said "Real afficianados prefer to fly fish, a more complex and absorbing style of fishing, which takes many years to master." I would have to argue that this kind of fishing may be considered more "artful", but there is still skill involved in bringing is salmon with a spinning rig - lure selection, knowledge of the river, etc. They are a tricky fish to catch! In addition, when people are fishing for subsistence purposes they aren't going to be all that concerned with the "art" behind it. This is why people get dip-netting permits which don't require the use of a fishing pole at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4121327;
    The caribou slaughter- that beautiful majestic animal murdered for the hell of it - made me sick. Palin described the kill as fun; how despicable! If people need to kill wild animals for food to feed their families, well ok, it's legal. But for a multimillionaire to kill just for FUN- that woman is pure solid trash to the core. Anything for face time on tv. It's hateful.
    I never thought I would speak up to defend Palin, but as long as the animal was eaten and not left to rot then I wouldn't say it was "murdered for the hell of it". She may be raking in the big bucks now, but it's not like people can typically buy caribou at the supermarket. I also agree with those who point out that the conditions under which animals are raised to fill our supermarket shelves are deplorable. It is no more humane to buy meat from the shelves that it is to hunt for it yourself.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 12-07-2010 at 10:30 PM.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;4121581;
    It's not a political tool? Your comments certainly sound political in nature-using the Palins alleged self sufficency to critique those who do not share your particular view of what makes someone a good american. By the way, it's kind of hard to go shooting elk and fishing in a river when you are stuck in the middle of a economically deprived city such as Detroit or in the middle of the rust belt.
    To me this is exactly what the people of Detroit (which I live outside of) and the rust belt need to see......to see people through hard work, drive and belief in themselves succeed and if need be do whatever it takes to bring the bacon home......even if its a job (or 2 or 3) beneath you....

.......its not about handouts from the government and becoming lazy in your work ethic from giving up too quickly.

.......its not about handouts from the government and becoming lazy in your work ethic from giving up too quickly.

With all due respect, unemployment is rampant throughout the country right now.
    Where I live, the unemployment rate is over 12.5%.
    I wouldn't exactly consider those affected ....to be .....taking handouts from the government or lazy in their work ethic and / or giving up too quickly.

If that is the message that viewers are getting from this show, I can say that I'm very glad I've never watched it. Ms. Palin and her entire family pose a far greater threat to our nation than those whom they disparage.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4122275;

With all due respect, unemployment is rampant throughout the country right now.
    Where I live, the unemployment rate is over 12.5%.
    I wouldn't exactly consider those affected ....to be .....taking handouts from the government or lazy in their work ethic and / or giving up too quickly.

If that is the message that viewers are getting from this show, I can say that I'm very glad I've never watched it. Ms. Palin and her entire family pose a far greater threat to our nation than those whom they disparage.
    Not all people are lazy or giving up too quickly....some people are truly in dire conditions and have tried every avenue to get ahead...and most have had to do the greatest sacrifice of all to move from their homes where they have lived all their lives to other frontiers....

.......what I was trying to say was some give up too easily and take the handout every month and make do......its those people that I was talking about.

I have no idea how the Palin's are a threat to our nation. On this show it shows a family who from both backgrounds (Todd and Sarah) had parents who instilled in them that hard work and determination will get you places. Todd worked the oil rigs for five months at a time...not easy work. Sarah worked as mayor with four little ones at one time in their lives.

This to me (this show and their lives) was not about politics, but was about knowing that you can do whatever you set your mind to do....even in tough times.

Quote Originally Posted by trisha22;4122286;
    I have no idea how the Palin's are a threat to our nation. On this show it shows a family who from both backgrounds (Todd and Sarah) had parents who instilled in them that hard work and determination will get you places. Todd worked the oil rigs for five months at a time...not easy work. Sarah worked as mayor with four little ones at one time in their lives.

This to me (this show and their lives) was not about politics, but was about knowing that you can do whatever you set your mind to do....even in tough times.
    For me the threat would be if she ever became President. I don't think she has the tact and intelligence to deal effectively on the world stage.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by trisha22;4122286;
    On this show it shows a family who from both backgrounds (Todd and Sarah) had parents who instilled in them that hard work and determination will get you places.
    Hard work? Determination? Sarah Palin? The woman seems to give up quite easily at the sight of the next shiny thing to cross her line of vision. Ask the students at her, I believe, first college whose peer bailed because she "didn't like the weather". Ask the people of Alaska whose governor bailed on them part way through her term for no defensible reason (though it's clear the reason was those appealing famewhore dollars calling her name) .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Alaskans get more in "subsidies" and hand-outs than any other state. For every dollar generated to the federal government, the government provides $1.84 back to Alaska. Alaska has the lowest tax burden of any of the fifty states: there's no state income tax and no state sales tax. From their "oil slush fund," every single resident gets a tax-free check every year for several thousand dollars($3200 in 2008) per year.

The people who suffer terribly in the state are (obviously) not the multi-millionaires like the Palins with their multiple snowmobiles costing tens of thousands of dollars (and leaving a carbon footprint the size of one of those dinosaurs Sarah Palin claims lived at the same time as humans, which she knows because she's seen dinosaur footprints with human footprints inside them) and their own airplanes to fly around at will. Many thousands of the native Alaskans, Eskimos, Aleuts and American Indians have a subsistence existence, and do depend on hunting and fishing to merely survive. I'm sure any one of them would love to get paid a quarter of a million dollars per episode to be on television shooting and gutting a caribou. Shoot, they'd probably do it for free ammunition.
    Last edited by BritLit; 12-08-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

The ratings dropped about 40% for the second episode of Sarah Palins Alaska. So, I was wondering how the show is faring in the ratings now, and if she picked up up some viewers when Kate Gosselin and her eight kids appeared on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4122402;
    Hard work? Determination? Sarah Palin? The woman seems to give up quite easily at the sight of the next shiny thing to cross her line of vision. Ask the students at her, I believe, first college whose peer bailed because she "didn't like the weather". Ask the people of Alaska whose governor bailed on them part way through her term for no defensible reason (though it's clear the reason was those appealing famewhore dollars calling her name) .
    Excellent post. She got a taste of fame and then dumped her job to be a celebrity.

I loathe it when she paints people with such broad strokes. Stating that those who receive unemployment are somehow lazy and don't want to work is ridiculous. Especially coming from someone who quit her job to seek fame.

There are a lof of very good, hard-working people out there without jobs. I highly doubt they'd appreciate being labeled as lazy.

Closed Thread