Closed Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 187

Thread: Sarah Palins Alaska

  1. #101
    FORT Fogey Prism's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,633

    Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

    The caribou slaughter- that beautiful majestic animal murdered for the hell of it - made me sick. Palin described the kill as fun; how despicable! If people need to kill wild animals for food to feed their families, well ok, it's legal. But for a multimillionaire to kill just for FUN- that woman is pure solid trash to the core. Anything for face time on tv. It's hateful.
    Last edited by Prism; 12-06-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

    Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

  2. #102
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,040

    Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

    I'm not a hunter, and I can't wrap my mind around the "sport".

  3. #103
    Kip
    Kip is online now
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,599

    Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

    I haven't seen the show, but here's my defense of huntiing.

    My father and brothers fished and hunted (deer, pheasant, ducks, doves). Growing up, I refused to eat anything they caught or shot - I didn't like thinking about where that meat on my plate had come from. I never went hunting. My dad took me fishing a couple of times until at age 4 or 5, I said "Daddy, let's not kill any more fish."

    In my twenties, I came to the conclusion that hunting and eating what you killed is a lot more honest than going to the supermarket and buying meat in plastic and not acknowledging to yourself where that meat came from. Hunters I know, take great pains not to waste meat - not because they're thrifty, but because they are very aware that an animal gave its life for their meal, so they don't like to see meat thrown out.

    How about fishing? Is that okay? If so, why is a trout or salmon any less noble than a caribou?

    Hunting in most places is regulated by state fish and game departments and is used to control wildlife populations. When populations are up, hunting limits are up; when populations are down, hunting season is limited;

    In many areas, the natural predators of hunted animals have disappeared. That's true of deer where I live. Deer live in populated areas here and there are virtually no mountain lions here anymore (thank goodness!). The deer's only predator now is motor vehicles. Herds have grown because there are no predators to keep their population down, and the deer are emaciated and starve to death.

  4. #104
    FORT Fogey redsox girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    live in the now
    Posts
    2,469

    Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by lithargic;4116957;
    The show is beautifully done and it is not a political tool for Republicans. Watching Sarah shoot a gun and catch fish reminds me of the self sufficiency on which this great country was built. Now we seem to have a country filed with people who think the government should take care of them. Kudos to Sarah and the entire Palin family for showing us how beautiful Alaska is and how wonderful life can be when we work hard to achieve success.
    It's not a political tool? Your comments certainly sound political in nature-using the Palins alleged self sufficency to critique those who do not share your particular view of what makes someone a good american. By the way, it's kind of hard to go shooting elk and fishing in a river when you are stuck in the middle of a economically deprived city such as Detroit or in the middle of the rust belt.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

  5. #105
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4121573;
    I haven't seen the show, but here's my defense of huntiing.

    My father and brothers fished and hunted (deer, pheasant, ducks, doves). Growing up, I refused to eat anything they caught or shot - I didn't like thinking about where that meat on my plate had come from. I never went hunting. My dad took me fishing a couple of times until at age 4 or 5, I said "Daddy, let's not kill any more fish."

    In my twenties, I came to the conclusion that hunting and eating what you killed is a lot more honest than going to the supermarket and buying meat in plastic and not acknowledging to yourself where that meat came from. Hunters I know, take great pains not to waste meat - not because they're thrifty, but because they are very aware that an animal gave its life for their meal, so they don't like to see meat thrown out.

    How about fishing? Is that okay? If so, why is a trout or salmon any less noble than a caribou?

    Hunting in most places is regulated by state fish and game departments and is used to control wildlife populations. When populations are up, hunting limits are up; when populations are down, hunting season is limited;

    In many areas, the natural predators of hunted animals have disappeared. That's true of deer where I live. Deer live in populated areas here and there are virtually no mountain lions here anymore (thank goodness!). The deer's only predator now is motor vehicles. Herds have grown because there are no predators to keep their population down, and the deer are emaciated and starve to death.
    Thank you, Kip. I also feel that the hunted animal is killed far more humanely than a commercially grown one, 98% of the time. I think "mistakes" in slaughterhouses occur at almost the same percentage rate as bad hunting shots. And the slaughterhouse animal has a far longer "bad time" than a deer that was eating acorns five seconds before it died. .
    Also, when hunters I know say it's a "fun" sport, I think what most really mean is that they enjoy getting outside, seeing nature, etc, and get satisfaction from providing for themselves and family, plus knowing they could do so for however long necessary if there were some kind of national emergency or something. (NO, I don't think we are about to be out of food in this country, I'm just saying something COULD happen someday to disrupt the supply) . I've never heard anyone mentioning that they actually find it amusing or funny to kill animals for the heck of it. I hope that's what Sarah Palin means when she says it's fun to hunt, and I'm reasonably sure it is.
    I do enjoy this show, and if some of the people who are commenting without seeing it at all watched at all, they would have seen this past episode where the family worked on their fishing boat. I thought it was great that the whole family did so well together when for the most part, the fishing days it showed didn't really result in very many fish in the nets after a ton of hard work. I don't like the political Sarah Palin, and i hate her speaking voice, but this family seems a lot more grounded and united than most I see on TV to me.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  6. #106
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,040

    Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4121573;
    I haven't seen the show, but here's my defense of huntiing.

    My father and brothers fished and hunted (deer, pheasant, ducks, doves). Growing up, I refused to eat anything they caught or shot - I didn't like thinking about where that meat on my plate had come from. I never went hunting. My dad took me fishing a couple of times until at age 4 or 5, I said "Daddy, let's not kill any more fish."

    In my twenties, I came to the conclusion that hunting and eating what you killed is a lot more honest than going to the supermarket and buying meat in plastic and not acknowledging to yourself where that meat came from. Hunters I know, take great pains not to waste meat - not because they're thrifty, but because they are very aware that an animal gave its life for their meal, so they don't like to see meat thrown out.

    How about fishing? Is that okay? If so, why is a trout or salmon any less noble than a caribou?

    Hunting in most places is regulated by state fish and game departments and is used to control wildlife populations. When populations are up, hunting limits are up; when populations are down, hunting season is limited;

    In many areas, the natural predators of hunted animals have disappeared. That's true of deer where I live. Deer live in populated areas here and there are virtually no mountain lions here anymore (thank goodness!). The deer's only predator now is motor vehicles. Herds have grown because there are no predators to keep their population down, and the deer are emaciated and starve to death.
    Yep. I get all this. But, what I still don't get is the mentality behind thinking that killing a defenseless animal is enjoyable. I don't mean to badmouth "hunting" because it really is engrained in some people. And, it can be (isn't always) far more humane than 99% of the commercial operations.

    All I can come up with is that there is a genetic throwback to earlier times at play for some people and not for others.

    And, I don't get how I can still eat meat even though the commercial operations are so disgraceful and inhumane.

  7. #107
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,790

    Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

    Is anyone familiar with Temple Grandin? She is the autistic woman a doctor of animal science and professor at Colorado State University, bestselling author, and consultant to the livestock industry on animal behavior. She devised a system to humanely slaughter cattle by reducing stress for animals on their way to slaughter, proving the industry can do things much better then it does. She also has devised ways to improve standards at livestock farms.

    "I think using animals for food is an ethical thing to do, but we've got to do it right. We've got to give those animals a decent life and we've got to give them a painless death. We owe the animal respect."
    —Temple Grandin
    Last edited by libgirl2; 12-07-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  8. #108
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4122049;
    Is anyone familiar with Temple Grandin? She is the autistic woman a doctor of animal science and professor at Colorado State University, bestselling author, and consultant to the livestock industry on animal behavior. She devised a system to humanely slaughter cattle by reducing stress for animals on their way to slaughter, proving the industry can do things much better then it does. She also has devised ways to improve standards at livestock farms.

    "I think using animals for food is an ethical thing to do, but we've got to do it right. We've got to give those animals a decent life and we've got to give them a painless death. We owe the animal respect."
    —Temple Grandin
    HBO took the movie Emmy for Temple Grandin this year. I bought her book Thinking in Pictures after seeing it.

    About 1/3 of all cattle in the US, UK, New Zealand, Australia, and Japan are handled (feeding, delousing, and slaughtered) in humane handling systems designed by Dr. Grandin. She makes the point that domesticated beef, buffalo and pigs would not exist, if not to feed us. And that is true. We owe them dignity and a death free from pain or terror. Her systems deliver that.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 12-07-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  9. #109
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

    Sarah did not exactly look like a crack shot in this kill. It took her several tries to bring the cariou down and it was not clear that they were all "clear" misses, not woundings.

    Sarah Palin and Her Father Hunt and Kill a Caribou (VIDEO)

    ...Sarah herself wears a hunting cap with the words "Girls and Guns" embroidered in pink.

    And Sarah Palin is the first person to make a kill. After missing several shots, Sarah takes dead aim through the sight of her rifle, squeezes off a final round, and kills the enormous animal. The caribou suddenly crumples to the ground. "Dere ya go, baby!" Mr. Heath yells to his daughter.

    "When you're shootin', everything seems to be happening very, very quickly," Sarah says. But then, Sarah does pause -- and in her voice-over speech she quotes controversial conservative activist Ted Nugent. "In the words of Ted Nugent," she says, while standing over the dead caribou's body, "we thank that mighty animal for living a good life and now sustaining a nice family."....
    This woman is clearly part political animal... the hinder most part.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 12-07-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  10. #110
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    3,810

    Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

    Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4121327;
    The caribou slaughter- that beautiful majestic animal murdered for the hell of it - made me sick. Palin described the kill as fun; how despicable! If people need to kill wild animals for food to feed their families, well ok, it's legal. But for a multimillionaire to kill just for FUN- that woman is pure solid trash to the core. Anything for face time on tv. It's hateful.
    ITA!

    Disturbing to watch. I was disgusted.
    KAREN

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.