Closed Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palins Alaska

FORT Regular

Re: Sarah Palins Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;4117246;
    Okay, as I read through the article linked above, I'm thinking, "Huh, what is this guy talking about?" (and near the end also wondering why the term red-neck seems to be used so easily and often despite the racial tone)... and the first few comments listed after the article pretty well sum up my feelings. Things like this article, which come across to me as grasping at straws to find fault, I don't understand the reasong behind it.

I don't think Sarah Palin claims to be the best at every activity featured on this show - she'd probably say that title goes to Todd (aka "Capt. America").
    I agree. If you look at the writers bio you'll see he lives in Malibu and divides his time between the Hollywood Hills and the local beach and he writes for a UK site. I asked myself "Is HE an expert at fishing and hunting in Alaska?"

As coltnlasma stated, check out the first few comments after his "Blog".

This is a Mark Burnett show, and if she were truly any kind of novice he would have found a way to highlight it. The only thing that sounds off to me is loading her gun without pointing it at the ground, but I think that speaks to casual negligence, not that she never hunted before she ran for vice-president.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Had to laugh at one sentence in the Sara Palin Revealed discussion- it looks and sounds to me like the most "vulgar weapon" actually is Palin herself. I wish she'd get off the stage; she's giving the world the impression that American women are dunces.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4117270;
    A novice, yes. One who does not even know how to load a gun. Or not to stand up in the boat.
    Where did this guy get his information? Obviously he does not fish, and has never loaded a shotgun.
    Actually, standing up to fish is not a no-no--it's the way any real fisherman does it 90% of the time. You can't cast or fight a big fish worth a durn sitting down! "Don't stand in the boat!" is for little kids and drunks, or in a really, really tiny and narrow boat boat.
    And the idea that only little kids and beginners use spinning rods is even sillier. The vast majority of "serious" fishermen do NOT fly-fish, especially for something as strong as a salmon that will require a very expensive and specialized setup that's useless for anything else, if you insist on fly fishing for them. I've been salmon fishing quite a few times, and the standard set up is a 9 foot spinning rod with a medium large reel--like SP's on this picture.

The shotgun loading is a bit more complicated to explain, but you don't point it at the ground while loading. In fact, there are lots of guns you can't load while pointing at the ground.

I actually saw one episode of this show,, and though SP's voice irritates me, I do like the show and think it shows Alaska off well.
    Last edited by queenb; 12-01-2010 at 03:05 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

We saw an ad last night that shows her and her father tracking caribou and after they spot this glorious living creature in the distance, there is SP hoisting her gun to shoot. It made me cringe. First, caribou is not a predator as perhaps a wolf would be, second these are farmed animals and I wonder just how "wild" this one is and lastly why does she have to kill this beautiful living thing? She doesn't need it for the food, she is a multi millionaire! Why kill??? This show has gone from showcasing the beauty of Alaska to "see that gorgeous wild animal, now see it die!!!"
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Supposedly the ratings have tanked since the very successful first show. In an attempt to do something about that, guess who will be appearing on the show? None other than Kate Gosselin and her eight kids! They will all go camping. I think the show is scheduled for Dec. 12. I wish I could think of something clever to say, but I am speechless.

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4119936;
    Supposedly the ratings have tanked since the very successful first show. In an attempt to do something about that, guess who will be appearing on the show? None other than Kate Gosselin and her eight kids! They will all go camping. I think the show is scheduled for Dec. 12. I wish I could think of something clever to say, but I am speechless.
    What a pair those two will make!!! Priceless!!! TLC must be desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4119917;
    We saw an ad last night that shows her and her father tracking caribou and after they spot this glorious living creature in the distance, there is SP hoisting her gun to shoot. It made me cringe. First, caribou is not a predator as perhaps a wolf would be, second these are farmed animals and I wonder just how "wild" this one is and lastly why does she have to kill this beautiful living thing? She doesn't need it for the food, she is a multi millionaire! Why kill??? This show has gone from showcasing the beauty of Alaska to "see that gorgeous wild animal, now see it die!!!"
    Caribou in Alska are not farmed, plus it's a much lower fat/cholesterol and tastier meat than beef, no artificial hormones or who knows what feeds, and the animal doesn't have to go through factory farming involving being transported to a feedlot, transported again, then processed. It runs wild until the moment it's shot. The wild herds in AK are so big it would not profit anyone to farm them for hunting purposes (although I hate 'game ranches and really don't call that hunting) Unless you are a vegan, your animal products have to come from somewhere.
    I do agree that the ad should not have shown this part because so many people dislike hunting, and are disturbed by the very idea. It's the same reason I think hunters anywhere should keep their deer or whatever covered up until they get it to the processer. I assume people who actually see the show would know they might see hunting and fishing as they are so popular in Alaska, so don't have a problem with it being on the show. I do think the network should choose not to show the caribou on the ad, or just pick another scene to advertise. But I think the network is hoping to make the show sort of controversial, in order to boost ratings. As we all know, Mark Burnett and Sarah Palin cost a lot to hire!
    Today 11:09 AM

ETA: I've never seen the Gosslin's show, but thanks for the heads up--I don't want to see anything with 8 children running wild--I can't even stand it if I accidentally leave the TV where 'supernanny' can come on while I'm busy!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4106844;
    You know what else? Sarah won't run for the presidency - even if they beg her to, which isn't likely. Democrats pray she'll run. But she won't! It would be much too large a pay cut for her to be a public servant again. She's raking in the cash these days!
    Don't be too sure of that. She's been in Iowa twice in the last month and rumor has it she has sent people to Des Moines to check out rental properties for office space. Pay cut or not, just the prestige of being the first female president is too much for her to pass up. Whether her fellow republicans will aid her in her quest is a whole 'nother story though.

To stay on topic, though, I didn't watch the show. I just can't tolerate the sound of her voice. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. But, to each his own, I suppose.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4119946;
    Caribou in Alska are not farmed, plus it's a much lower fat/cholesterol and tastier meat than beef, no artificial hormones or who knows what feeds, and the animal doesn't have to go through factory farming involving being transported to a feedlot, transported again, then processed. It runs wild until the moment it's shot. The wild herds in AK are so big it would not profit anyone to farm them for hunting purposes (although I hate 'game ranches and really don't call that hunting) Unless you are a vegan, your animal products have to come from somewhere.
    I do agree that the ad should not have shown this part because so many people dislike hunting, and are disturbed by the very idea. It's the same reason I think hunters anywhere should keep their deer or whatever covered up until they get it to the processer. I assume people who actually see the show would know they might see hunting and fishing as they are so popular in Alaska, so don't have a problem with it being on the show. I do think the network should choose not to show the caribou on the ad, or just pick another scene to advertise. But I think the network is hoping to make the show sort of controversial, in order to boost ratings. As we all know, Mark Burnett and Sarah Palin cost a lot to hire!
    Today 11:09 AM

ETA: I've never seen the Gosslin's show, but thanks for the heads up--I don't want to see anything with 8 children running wild--I can't even stand it if I accidentally leave the TV where 'supernanny' can come on while I'm busy!
    I know my animal products come from somewhere, but I don't kill cows or chickens for "sport". I do't find killing an animal "fun" but a necessary part of life, not one to be celebrated, just done as humanely as possible. I don't wear leather products. I found this ad inappropriate to run during What Not To Wear and am considering writing TLC to let them know. Though I am not sure what is more offensive that ad or the one showing KG on the show!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Closed Thread