+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Say Yes To The Dress: Big Bliss - TLC

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

Re: Say Yes To The Dress: Big Bliss - TLC

As someone who owns a bridal shop, let me say that discrimination against the voluptuous woman does happen, but it doesn't happen everywhere. (I do hear horror stories all the time.) I would honestly call shops before you go and ask frankly what sizes they carry and explain what you're looking for and what your budget is. Many shops specialize in plus sizes - it's a (pardon the pun) growing need.
    Also, I have found that, for bridesmaids, often the other members of the bridal party can be quite rude to the larger women. After measurements are taken I like to privately discuss with each person where they fall on the size chart. Leave it to the skinny little sisters to pester to find out what size the heavier girls ended up ordering. My reply is, "none of your business what size anyone orders."

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeOne;4092289;
    I was thinking as I read your post that Marilyn was a size 14 and she was considered one of the most beautiful women ever. And then you said what you did about your dress. I am sure you were just beautiful. And congrats!!
    But that size 14 is probably a size 8 now. Only swim & bridal wear have been immune from this form of downsizing that is intended to flatter the American woman.

Of course, Marilyn would be considered chubby by current stick-thin standards.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;4093710;
    But that size 14 is probably a size 8 now. Only swim & bridal wear have been immune from this form of downsizing that is intended to flatter the American woman.

I agree 100 percent. I have a size 4 dress from about 12 years ago that is smaller than any size 2 out there now. I also had a size 6 pair of jeans that were the same size as a size 2 I bought about 10 years later.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

So true!

I really did enjoy this season and hope it will return.
    As I said earlier, I liked that they did an entire show for larger ladies. I wish they'd been able to put every lady in the right size dress because quite often it was difficult to know how exactly the dress would look on them when they had to use rubber bands and additional material in the back to cover the fact the dresses couldn't be properly fastened.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Newbie

I think everyone needs to see "My Big Friggin Wedding" it is seriously the funniest wedding show there is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;4093710;

I have a question-just out of curiosity why did you feel the need to `correct' the poster who was obviously trying to make me feel better (which I appreciated). What did you gain from correcting her? I'm curious.
    Incidentally, Marilyn went through period during her marriage to Arthur Miller when she was attacked by the press because she was `fat.' Her response was to simply say " MY husband likes me this way."
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4092098;
    Jeez, Redsox, you really took the lemons and made lemonade. Your wedding dress and veil sound beautiful! I wouldn't worry about finding a dress for your vow renewal? You'll have time to research the manufacturers who carry your size and order it in, if necessary. You could even take it to you own seamstress and avoid the condescending, nasty bridal shop glamazons. I wish you and your hubby the very best!
    Thank you for the words of support. You know, it's interesting, it's women who know how to mess with your head when it comes to size. They are usually the ones who want to bring you down a notch because they are More obsessed with the number on a dress or a pair of pants than a man is. So, maybe int he future I'll find a bridal shop run by a man rather than dealing with all of these insecure women who never got past being in junior high. Men react to presence, how you carry yourself, well, men worth knowing. I'm very secure about who I am and I know I am beautiful. I've know I am desirable for a multitude of reasons and men gravitate toward me probably because I've focused on all aspects of my being. It's women who have issues with my size-who treat me with disrespect. Most men I've met regardless of age or size get along with me quite well. I think I intimidate a lot of women, especially those who are tinier-they tend to resent the fact hat a larger girl like me gets more attention. Again, I am a size 14 and tall, so maybe I just carry it off better, being taller than most women. Beauty comes from within as cliché as that sounds, it's true. if you truly believe you are beautiful and you carry yourself with dignity, grace and style you will command attention in a room, positive attention. being able to carry on a conversation about a multitude of subjects, not having a potty mouth, being open to having a lot of fun without being coarse or crass, men really respond to that. Again, it's women who seem more obsessed about size in regards to other women.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 11-07-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeOne;4092289;
    I was thinking as I read your post that Marilyn was a size 14 and she was considered one of the most beautiful women ever. And then you said what you did about your dress. I am sure you were just beautiful. And congrats!!
    During the height of her sex appeal she was larger than the average woman of her time. her weight fluctuated constantly due to stress, anxiety, chronic illness, operations and addiction. But all three of her husbands felt Marilyn looked her best, her loveliest, when she weighed more. Toward the end of her life, when she was shooting her last movie, she was underweight and this alarmed her ex Joe DiMaggio, who still maintained contact with her. What horrified him and those who knew her well is that fans and the media talked about how gorgeous she looked even though she was gaunt, frail and sickly. It did a numbe ron marilyn's head.
    Gloria Steinem wrote "Marilyn Monroe was the last American woman allowed to have a stomach." But, I think it's women who have bought into the notion being soft is unattractive. While being obese is unhealthy I know being a size 14 doesn't make me Quasimodo (although again, it's women who try to make me feel this way-that was brought home by the wedding dress debacle).

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4092518;
    As someone who owns a bridal shop, let me say that discrimination against the voluptuous woman does happen, but it doesn't happen everywhere. (I do hear horror stories all the time.) I would honestly call shops before you go and ask frankly what sizes they carry and explain what you're looking for and what your budget is. Many shops specialize in plus sizes - it's a (pardon the pun) growing need.
    Also, I have found that, for bridesmaids, often the other members of the bridal party can be quite rude to the larger women. After measurements are taken I like to privately discuss with each person where they fall on the size chart. Leave it to the skinny little sisters to pester to find out what size the heavier girls ended up ordering. My reply is, "none of your business what size anyone orders."
    I'm a size 14 and quite tall- so I guess it was a hard cold slap in the face to have women behave so arrogantly-and trust me they weren't all lookers by any means. I just want to know why my local run shop wouldn't have a size 14 since more women these days fall into that size range. I honestly thought my issue would be `Boy, your'e tall, the dress won't fall right.' Not `we only have this or that in a size eight.'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast