+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Say Yes To The Dress: Big Bliss - TLC

Re: Say Yes To The Dress: Big Bliss - TLC

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4085813;
    The bridesmaid dresses would be a good topic---there you are usually dealing with a variety of figures, all basically having to look good in the same dress. I was just at a wedding where about 4 of the bridesmaids were pregnant, from a little (just noticeable) to a lot...all in the same dress... And at another years ago where 4 of the 5 were relatively flatchested while one was at least a D cup (naturally!) but otherwise slim, and on top of that one was 6' tall (not the D cup), again all in the same dress....
    I think I would be more apt to watch an episode of bridesmaids dresses than this show which I watch periodically. Like I said upthread I had such a horrible experience buying a bridesmaid dress I will never be in another wedding ever because I won't go through that again.

On top of the different shaped people (and sometimes limited sizes of dress available) you have different budgets (and how dare I suggest that I couldn't afford one of the dresses that other bridesmaids were looking at). But really I think that would be dripping with drama as brides start getting rid of friends, replacing bridal party members and having meltdowns in general (oh it happens I talked to other bridesmaids in my position for moral support as I went through with this).

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;4085687;
    I am okay with how they are treating this "subject" but I wish they didn't make a whole season out of "big" women. I'm not sure why it bothers me but I suspect it is a combination of the fact that 1) I don't just want to see one identified group, just like I dont want an entire show of ridiculously thin models (thats what runway shows are for)--I like variety, which leads to 2) is it necessary to keep saying "big" and full-figure and press to find women who will say how happy they are about being full-figured? I feel like they are just pushing. and 3) I just want to see a real sample of brides, some tall, some short, some busty, some hippy, whatever, but it would be nice to not be subjected to one group because they feel like they need to focus in for drama or whatever. I love this show and this is my least favorite season by far
    I agree with you on this since I would also just like to watch a show that was reflective of real life and real women of all sizes. I don't feel the need to watch just one type of woman. How boring would it be if they only showed tiny petite women?? or very tall women?

That's why I don't get why they chose this theme for an entire season--what was the motivation? Were they getting a lot of fanmail saying they appreciated the larger brides, or was it because it made for good drama? Either way it is a bit annoying that they are using a whole season to only focus on one type of bride. Like I saqid before, I want to see everybody in the dresses!

I agree, I love Say Yes to the Dress, and i could care less if its a bigger bride, average bride, celebrity bride, different store, different location, what have you...i just LOVE seeing everyone get their moment and finding a beautiful dress for their special day! and a little drama in between doesn't hurt either lol

This show and Four Weddings are definitely my favorite shows on TLC!

FORT Fanatic

I agree that they shouldn't put all the larger brides into their own special series. The wedding dress series has been on for a while - maybe numbers were dropping and they needed a new 'hook.' I believe the current series ends this week.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

The finding of the latest Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index is that 63.1% of adults in the U.S. were either overweight or obese in 2009. Maybe this show is just catering to the majority?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV;4076913;
    I'm glad they are including plus sized brides but I still wish it wasn't a special edition. Why not mix them in with stories of other Kleinfeld's brides? It just feels like TLC is saying "they're not like the others". But they are. No matter the size they are all women who are in love and looking for a dream come true.
    I'm currently a size 14. I used to be a size 1-6 depending on the style of clothing. This summer, before my husband deployed we decided to get married before he left rather than waiting for his return (because in the back of your mind you never know if the person is going to come back). Finding even the most simple, discounted low end dress was impossible. In fact, I was outright ignored in some bridal shops as the employees scurried toward the skinny girls. I spent many long days looking for a suitable dress-nothing extravagant-but even in a department Store (Macy's) the attendants rather than helping me look through the plus sized section simply pointed me in the general direction of those dresses like I was a golden retriever.
    Although I'm nowhere as big as the ladies on this show I totally relate to their experiences and the shame and discomfort they feel when dresses don't fit and they are made to feel they should just settle.
    Looking for a wedding dress ranks as one of the worst experiences , in terms of the emotions it invoked. There were nights I'd come home and just burst out crying and question my beauty and attractiveness. It's not like a size 14 is all that large, but even a box store like David's Bridal didn't carry the size in store-they could only ship it and because i only had six weeks to plan I couldn't take the risk of it showing up late, not fitting right and needing alterations.
    I do appreciate a show focusing on larger women and I can fully relate to some of the sadness and insecurities they display. It's such an awful feeling not being able to wear that special dress you fell in love with.
    Also, I think I experienced frustration in realizing how good i had it back when I could buy and piece of clothing w/o worrying about sizes and that if I were still a smaller size getting a dress aI loved and wanted would have been a snap.
    I eventually bought a simple summer dress on-line-it was lovely 1950's retro Marilyn Monroe style summer dress- I added a few swarski crystals, a sash and made a simple retro style vail. The marriage ceremony was simple but lovely.
    When my husband returns we plan on renewing our vows (as not all family members could make the ceremony in clusding his son and my best friend) and I plan on wearing a real wedding dress that makes me feel beautiful.The experince i had this time around totally kicked the self confidence right out of me in terms of how I look.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Jeez, Redsox, you really took the lemons and made lemonade. Your wedding dress and veil sound beautiful!

I wouldn't worry about finding a dress for your vow renewal? You'll have time to research the manufacturers who carry your size and order it in, if necessary. You could even take it to you own seamstress and avoid the condescending, nasty bridal shop glamazons. I wish you and your hubby the very best!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;4092071;
    I'm currently a size 14. I used to be a size 1-6 depending on the style of clothing. This summer, before my husband deployed we decided to get married before he left rather than waiting for his return (because in the back of your mind you never know if the person is going to come back). Finding even the most simple, discounted low end dress was impossible. In fact, I was outright ignored in some bridal shops as the employees scurried toward the skinny girls. I spent many long days looking for a suitable dress-nothing extravagant-but even in a department Store (Macy's) the attendants rather than helping me look through the plus sized section simply pointed me in the general direction of those dresses like I was a golden retriever.
    Although I'm nowhere as big as the ladies on this show I totally relate to their experiences and the shame and discomfort they feel when dresses don't fit and they are made to feel they should just settle.
    Looking for a wedding dress ranks as one of the worst experiences , in terms of the emotions it invoked. There were nights I'd come home and just burst out crying and question my beauty and attractiveness. It's not like a size 14 is all that large, but even a box store like David's Bridal didn't carry the size in store-they could only ship it and because i only had six weeks to plan I couldn't take the risk of it showing up late, not fitting right and needing alterations.
    I do appreciate a show focusing on larger women and I can fully relate to some of the sadness and insecurities they display. It's such an awful feeling not being able to wear that special dress you fell in love with.
    Also, I think I experienced frustration in realizing how good i had it back when I could buy and piece of clothing w/o worrying about sizes and that if I were still a smaller size getting a dress aI loved and wanted would have been a snap.
    I eventually bought a simple summer dress on-line-it was lovely 1950's retro Marilyn Monroe style summer dress- I added a few swarski crystals, a sash and made a simple retro style vail. The marriage ceremony was simple but lovely.
    When my husband returns we plan on renewing our vows (as not all family members could make the ceremony in clusding his son and my best friend) and I plan on wearing a real wedding dress that makes me feel beautiful.The experince i had this time around totally kicked the self confidence right out of me in terms of how I look.
    I was thinking as I read your post that Marilyn was a size 14 and she was considered one of the most beautiful women ever. And then you said what you did about your dress. I am sure you were just beautiful. And congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4092098;
    Jeez, Redsox, you really took the lemons and made lemonade. Your wedding dress and veil sound beautiful!

I wouldn't worry about finding a dress for your vow renewal? You'll have time to research the manufacturers who carry your size and order it in, if necessary. You could even take it to you own seamstress and avoid the condescending, nasty bridal shop glamazons. I wish you and your hubby the very best!
    When I made the trip down the aisle I want to say I was like a size 18/20 (I never pay that much attention since sizes are very arbitrary these days).

Honest to goodness if you have a budget and you're buying the plus size stuff you are relegated to some really not that great looking dresses. I equated it to the poor, overweight girl trying to buy a prom dress. There just frankly isn't any selection because of what people think looks great on people who aren't thinner.

I stopped looking for traditional dresses and found some speciality goth store and got something there.

Even the manufacturers that make plus size dresses limit you in style or fabric choice and god forbid if you slap a budget on it then you're just screwed.

I had forgot about that (as I've tried to forget that entire relationship ever existed) until I read redsox girl's post and my heart broke. It's demeaning to want to have a nice day and have to walk into dress shops only to be todl you're too big for their dresses. Or they send you off on your own to the dusty corner of the store where they have a couple styles from the early 90's or late 80's laying around. God forbid you ask for help.

That's how I felt getting the bridesmaid dress too. Absolutely demeaned.

I don't know. Next time I make the trip I won't set foot into a bridal shop. I certainly won't ask any bridesmaids to step foot in one because I value my self esteem and don't want uppity people to bring me down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast