+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Say Yes To The Dress: Big Bliss - TLC

Re: Say Yes To The Dress: Big Bliss - TLC

Fluff, I have to disagree with you on the $800 dress. In that case, I thought the $2800 looked a whole lot better on her.
    It does feel good to see people who might be discouraged about the dress shopping experience find a perfecct dress. What was her name? Chris? That was heartwarming.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4080527;
    Fluff, I have to disagree with you on the $800 dress. In that case, I thought the $2800 looked a whole lot better on her.
    It does feel good to see people who might be discouraged about the dress shopping experience find a perfecct dress. What was her name? Chris? That was heartwarming.
    I thought she looked uncomfortable in the less expensive dress (she said it was heavy and looked like the top was the problem.) While a very nice dress for the price and I was pleased they had something less than $1,000 (I paid $500 for mine 17-years-ago, thank goodness it was the year previous' design), she did not look comfortable in it. Would she have felt different if she hadn't have seen what a $2,800 dress felt like? I think so. I really do not think she should have tried on that more expensive dress. But once she did, it was too late. You could tell it was her dress.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4080527;
    I thought she was clearly more comfortable in the more expensive dress I really didn't like the bust area of the dress. I felt it looked awkward and ill-fitting, but obviously she still has to have it fitted to her. I felt the cheaper dress, while clearly heavier and of lesser quality was more flattering to her body. I would have liked to have seen her try a dress with the shape of the cheap dress but of the quality of the more expensive one.

I really liked Chris's final choice, thought it was very flattering.
    It's hard to get a good read on whether the dresses suit when they can't be done up properly. It was lively to see her have a fun experience shopping for a dress and I was so pleased that she found one that made her feel so good.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4080556;
    I thought she was clearly more comfortable in the more expensive dress I really didn't like the bust area of the dress. I felt it looked awkward and ill-fitting, but obviously she still has to have it fitted to her. I felt the cheaper dress, while clearly heavier and of lesser quality was more flattering to her body. I would have liked to have seen her try a dress with the shape of the cheap dress but of the quality of the more expensive one.
    OK, Fluff. Now you are going to make me watch it again in rerun! lol I am wondering if that $800 was a rare find and perhaps they didn't have any styles like that in her price-range? I know normally they cringe when they hear any price less than $3,000. ESPECIALLY if they bride has expectations.

I wish they would do something similar for bridesmaids dresses. I know I will never be a bridesmaid again after having to go through the embarrassment of pouring myself into a dress that was not meant to hold anyone with a butt or chest area. It was such an uncomfortable experience for me I never want to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;4080751;
    OK, Fluff. Now you are going to make me watch it again in rerun! lol I am wondering if that $800 was a rare find and perhaps they didn't have any styles like that in her price-range? I know normally they cringe when they hear any price less than $3,000. ESPECIALLY if they bride has expectations.
    I think the $800 was a rare find, exactly.
    I didn't notice the tag, but as they've said many times that their dresses start at $1500 my guess would be that the dress was a sale item.
    When they have a definite budget I imagine the consultants always bring them dresses at the higher end of that.
    I suspect there was no option to show her of a better quality dress in her price range that was a similar silhouette to the $800 dress.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I'm late coming to this show. So far, I've watched one and have 3 more on my DVR to watch. I didn't realize it was filmed at Kleinfield's or I would have tuned in sooner. I love that place, love the people (from what I've seen on TV).
    So glad to see that it was exactly like Say Yes to the Dress and not something that would be offensive or make fun of larger women, even tho I'm a petite size. That's why I didn't watch it from the begining. I don't like it when people are showcased negatively because they're different but this is handled as well as Little People, Big World.

I was never one of those little girls that always dreamed of a big wedding, gown, reception, etc. Been married twice, both quiet and small. First one with 10 people there and my last and present one, we eloped. So no big fancy dress or party for me. But I sure enjoy watching these girls and sometimes, older women find the perfect dress and I really love the sales people at Kleinfields and how well they treat all the women, even the bratty ones.
    Glad FORT has these forums so I can learn about new shows.

As far as the bride with the $800/$2800 dollar dress delimna, there are those who can't picture how a dress will look on them unless the sample fits pretty well, while others see the style on them and can envision it with the dress fitting properly. (Because, in reality, few wedding gowns fit perfectly without alterations anyway, even if it's in your size.) I've actually had some brides who try on a dress and say they can't order that dress because they can't imagine how it would look in a different color -white vs ivory! I think the key was her reaction to herself in the dress. No amount of money manufactures that look and that joy. She looked as though she felt pretty and she felt like a bride.
    As I asked a budget conscious bride Saturday, "What's more important, the price or the dress?" She had a very strict budget but the dress she fell in love with was more than her second choice. She said that she was pragamtic enough that she knew she didn't like the more expensive dress $200 more than #2, so #2 was what she bought. (Notice also we're talking 100's and not 1000's like at Kleinfeld.)
    As far as the price range there, I had a bride who called them for an appointment and they told her on the phone to plan on spending $3,000 and up. That discouraged her from making the trip. Actually, I don't understand that because they have brides on the show who want to spend $2000-$2500. Maybe they try to discourage those brides because, honestly, it takes as much work to sell a cheaper dress as it does to a less expensive one. And the show must have generated a lot of people who call in for an appointment so they can have the Kleinfeld experience but don't have the Kleinfeld budget. The $800 dress must have been an anomaly for them. It was most certainly not silk at that price, as most of their dresses are.

I am okay with how they are treating this "subject" but I wish they didn't make a whole season out of "big" women. I'm not sure why it bothers me but I suspect it is a combination of the fact that 1) I don't just want to see one identified group, just like I dont want an entire show of ridiculously thin models (thats what runway shows are for)--I like variety, which leads to 2) is it necessary to keep saying "big" and full-figure and press to find women who will say how happy they are about being full-figured? I feel like they are just pushing. and 3) I just want to see a real sample of brides, some tall, some short, some busty, some hippy, whatever, but it would be nice to not be subjected to one group because they feel like they need to focus in for drama or whatever. I love this show and this is my least favorite season by far

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The bridesmaid dresses would be a good topic---there you are usually dealing with a variety of figures, all basically having to look good in the same dress. I was just at a wedding where about 4 of the bridesmaids were pregnant, from a little (just noticeable) to a lot...all in the same dress... And at another years ago where 4 of the 5 were relatively flatchested while one was at least a D cup (naturally!) but otherwise slim, and on top of that one was 6' tall (not the D cup), again all in the same dress....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast