+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 177 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105145 ... LastLast
Like Tree692Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

I think the first episode of last season, Kody talked about why they had trouble with regular jobs. I think he said that people have issues with them due to their high profile. I guess that if you are running a store you may not want it represented by a member of a publically known Plural marriage member. I would think Las Vegas would be open to things like that, but maybe not. Do prospective employers really hold it against them when hiring?

Also, I think that the money they can make at a regular job is peanuts compared to the TLC income. I'm just speculating.

I have another idea too. I wonder if the secret plural families give the Brown family funds to support them since they are helping the cause by going public. Many other polygamous famlies really cannot come out of the closet, for fear of reproach, such as doctors, lawyers, law enforcement, etc. Maybe they pay Kody to do what they are afraid to do. That could explain their unexplained income and why they don't want to discuss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think the first episode of last season, Kody talked about why they had trouble with regular jobs. I think he said that people have issues with them due to their high profile. I guess that if you are running a store you may not want it represented by a member of a publically known Plural marriage member. I would think Las Vegas would be open to things like that, but maybe not. Do prospective employers really hold it against them when hiring?

Also, I think that the money they can make at a regular job is peanuts compared to the TLC income. I'm just speculating.

I have another idea too. I wonder if the secret plural families give the Brown family funds to support them since they are helping the cause by going public. Many other polygamous famlies really cannot come out of the closet, for fear of reproach, such as doctors, lawyers, law enforcement, etc. Maybe they pay Kody to do what they are afraid to do. That could explain their unexplained income and why they don't want to discuss it.
    Did you watch Season 1, Debb? Meri had a great job in Utah. I am not sure what she did. But she stated on Oprah (when the family did her show) that even though she had been with THAT company for many years, once the show hit TLC, TBTP approached her and told her that while they hated doing this to Meri, the employer just did not want any publicity due to Meri working there and doing SISTER WIVES. Meri teared up while retelling this on Oprah BUT Meri did state that she understood completely.
    KAREN

Wasn't Meri some type of counselor / social worker that dealt with children? I do remember her talking about how she was let go from her employer after the show aired.

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    Wasn't Meri some type of counselor / social worker that dealt with children? I do remember her talking about how she was let go from her employer after the show aired.
    My understanding was that Meri worked more in an aid/tech capacity with children and back to school stuff rather than a professional counselor/social worker sort of job. It was incredibly sad to see her talking about losing her job because of how high profile she became. Reality is places don't want to deal with someone that publicly controversial and I would imagine for as long as she's on TV she is going to have a bit of difficulty finding working in a human services field.

I have found prospective employers are incredibly judgmental if you live any sort of out of the norm lifestyle. It's actually quite disgusting to me to think that perfectly capable people are turned down for jobs because maybe their lifestyle is different.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    Actually, I think her job was not that remunerative but she loved it very much. She said she was devastated when she was canned for PR reasons. Janelle is the wife who really earns - probably much more than Kody. I've read that she is a truly successful entrepreneur with 3 profitable businesses.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm speculating here, but having seen the bankruptcy filings online, wherein Kody and each of the original 3 wives had huge credit card debts with inadequate income for the size of their families, it would be hard to imagine they are unique in the polygamous world. Most married men have a hard enough time supporting one family - let alone multiple wives and lots of children. How much extra money are they likely to have that they can give someone like Kody who still drives around in a Lexus chick magnet and has all of his wives in individual - very nice - rental properties?

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Actually, I think her job was not that remunerative but she loved it very much. She said she was devastated when she was canned for PR reasons. Janelle is the wife who really earns - probably much more than Kody. I've read that she is a truly successful entrepreneur with 3 profitable businesses.
    Did Janelle have to give up those businesses when they moved from Utah, or is she still involved with those?

Yes, I recall in Season 1 when Meri lost her job. I guess I was thinking that Las Vegas would be different though. I would imagine that a good percentage of the community works in adult themed jobs, dancing, gambling, clubs, etc.

FORT Fan

Why don't they just buy a plot of land and build one big house and convert it into 4 separate living areas like they had in Utah? That way he is only applying for one mortgage?
    Shoepie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonds78 View Post
    Why don't they just buy a plot of land and build one big house and convert it into 4 separate living areas like they had in Utah? That way he is only applying for one mortgage?
    That would make way too much sense . Plus, we would miss out on all the drama and hardship of them being forced to live in four separate houses... blah blah blah.

They should just buy a small motel or old school and convert that into a home for all of them. I suppose zoning laws would prohibit that though.

+ Reply to Thread