+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 176 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104144 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I have pretty strong opinions about this, but I'm setting them aside for a moment because I have a question that I need to ask (and I hope someone can answer)...

What percentage of these kids have an opportunity to attend college or university? How many of them actually do? Conversely, how many kids raised in a polygamist family marry as soon as the get out of highschool?
    I think the Brown family kids just go to public school. FLDS kids are educated in their own insular communities, in schools staffed by community members, with a curriculum that is very focused on their religious beliefs. (According to what I have read.) Unless I am missing something huge, in practice the Browns are not very different from mainstream Mormons except for the polygamy aspect. I say "in practice" because there must be some big theological differences that allow for the condoning of polygamy, which I know the LDS church is very much against. And mainstream LDS kids go to college and university, so presumably kids from the Brown's church do as well.

I've seen documentaries on families similar to the Browns and yes, the couples are young but not shockingly so. My daughter & I were watching a "Say Yes to the Dress" marathon on TLC and many, many of the brides-to-be were under 25.

sweetpea - I didn't read that book but I did read one about the Bountiful community. They are FLDS and they certainly do use polygamy as a weapon to wield control and power over the women of their faith. The church elders do marry girls that are far too young to be married and have been known to excommunicate young men in order to have more young women available for themselves. I'm very leery of grouping the Browns in with that kind of FLDS community because I think it's like grouping myself, a Catholic, with abortion-clinic bomber extremists when my beliefs are the exact opposite of theirs. I want to be sensitive to the differences that I think are the Brown's motivation for doing the show, but I think they would be better served by striving to explain the theological differences a bit more so we can understand fully understand them.
    nanarama likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    For me, AZ, it is about the aspect.

I really do love a !

So I will be sticking around.
    As an avid smilie collector, I am so stealing your fabulous train wreck! I hope you don't mind.

As for your point, I would be surprised if none of the wives bailed. Of course, they have been together a long time so I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    as an avid smilie collector, i am so stealing your fabulous train wreck! I hope you don't mind.

As for your point, i would be surprised if none of the wives bailed. Of course, they have been together a long time so i could be wrong.
    Go for it!!!!!!!!
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post

sweetpea - I didn't read that book but I did read one about the Bountiful community. They are FLDS and they certainly do use polygamy as a weapon to wield control and power over the women of their faith. The church elders do marry girls that are far too young to be married and have been known to excommunicate young men in order to have more young women available for themselves. I'm very leery of grouping the Browns in with that kind of FLDS community because I think it's like grouping myself, a Catholic, with abortion-clinic bomber extremists when my beliefs are the exact opposite of theirs. I want to be sensitive to the differences that I think are the Brown's motivation for doing the show, but I think they would be better served by striving to explain the theological differences a bit more so we can understand fully understand them.
    I think you are absolutely correct, there are varying levels of extremism with any religion. I was raised a Seventh Day Adventist, but don't practice the faith today. There are some SDAs who are really extreme in their faith, while others like my family were a little more relaxed. I think the people in Bountiful and the people described in Krakauer's book are on a whole different level then it seems the Browns are, and I highly doubt anyone from Bountiful would allow a film crew in to film them for a reality tv show.

I wonder how others who practice this feel about this show? I remember Big Love wasn't very well received.

Ref education of the kids. Last season there was an episode about college. The parents and a few of the older kids took a trip to Tuft's University in Boston. Kody and the wives actually spoke at a seminar there. The kids really loved it and said that visiting the campus and hanging out with college students really made college more real for them. It seems that the oldest son is college bound. They haven't said where he might be attending.

'Sister Wives' Recap: The Browns Go To Boston!

The parents were very supportive of the college route. They acknowledged funding is an issue, but they learned of student aid, scholarships, etc. that might be available. When a parent is supportive of college, it tells me a lot about them. They want their kid to learn as much as possible and learn how to think for themself. I am very suspicious of parents, groups, etc. who believe higher education is dangerous or a bad thing. I know religious groups who feel that way. It's sad really. I think they know that if the kids get out and learn more, they will escape their grasp. Remember the movie Carrie? You know how her mom was?
    Last edited by Debb70; 06-04-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    nanarama likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    This is what I have never understood. He is legally married to one and the others are basically girlfriends but called wives. The woman he is married to just allows him to call the other ones wives or am I crazy in my view point.
    I could be VERY mistaken, but... I think it all boils down to the individual state laws of "common law marriage". If you present yourself as married to the public, even if not officially married, you are considered a common law husband/wife. If you present someone as wife/husband while already married, that is where the bigamy comes in.

I think its ridiculous to try and prosecute for this. Personally, I think they should be left alone to live how they want... They ARE all consenting adults. Prosecution should come with underage brides, etc.
    nennie likes this.

It boggles my mind that this family was approved to buy those 4 new homes since none of the wives have any income. Did I understand that right, that they were approved for some type of alternate financing? According to the real estate agent Kody & Meri were joint applicants, and the other wives applied for their own loans. How do you get a loan with no source of income? Also someone upthread mentioned that they have all filed for bancruptcy in the past. Amazing.

I'm glad they finally explained a bit more of Janelle's thought process on wanting to start a fitness center, that it would be geared toward those who are extremely overweight / out of shape. When they first were talking about this last season it made no sense, who would want to join a gym where the owners / managers were obviously not physically fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    The way I've heard it explained is that in some states, even though the man is only legally married to one of the women, if he and any other women live like they're married and "hold themselves out to be married" then he can be prosecuted for polygamy. In a way, this is almost, sort of like the concept of "common law marriage" in which a couple isn't legally married, but live together "as man and wife" for 7 or more years, at which point they are then legally "married" in the eyes of the law in certain states.

Question: Back to the 'husband' being prosecuted for polygamy --- I wonder why only the man is prosecuted, but the women aren't prosecuted. The man hasn't done anything different from or worse than what the women are doing. . .
    guess I should have read down further lol. Put much better than my blathering.

As far as women being prosecuted, they technically arent the ones "married" to two different people. I would imagine if a woman would take more than one husband, then she would open herself up for prosecution as well

While I feel terrible that Meri could not have more than one child … at 41yo, I think that she should be concentrating more on becoming employed than adding to this already EXTREMELY large family. I am NOT here to insult or make little of her situation AT ALL. That is not my intent AND if she was 31yo, I would agree that she should seek other opinions as to why she cannot concieve. BUT again, with (what appears to me) NO ONE in the house working INCLUDING all the teens … to spend almost a whole show on Meri and Cody's issues in that area is ODD.

I have absolutely NO CLUE how all these people make ends meet. Other than TLC. I think I did read on MTV (Teen Mom&16 and Preg) … after a certain age, 16yo, they will PAY you if you appear in a reality show and speak. So I am guessing that if TLC has the same type of contract as MTV??? That would make the Sister Wives, Kody and then about 4 of the kiddos I think that are over 16yo.

Now the Fitness Ctr … YIKES, they would NEED 1000 members to make a profit. Where are they going to get 1000 members?

And I am not one bit surprised that the Browns needed to come up with 40% down on each piece of property. All that discussion with the Loan Officer tells me they have some finance issues. Like credit scores may not be great. OR the lack of any BANK to check EMPLOYMENT RECORDS…………….

Boogles my mind that they think they can OPEN a gym and BUILD FOUR new homes and have the MONEY do it with NO ONE working.

And next week going back to UTAH … that will be so sad.
    KAREN

Kody Brown has four wives: Meri, 40, Janelle, 41, Christine, 38, and Robyn, 32, who joined the clan at the end of last season, and brought along her three kids from a previous marriage. Total population of the Brown household in Lehi, Utah: 16 kids and five adults. As season two begins, the clouds have yet to gather. The kids are going from home schooling to public schools and a

Damn Janelle is only 41 I thought she was much older than that. I still can't stand Kody. They should slow down spending all the money they are making on TLC. All those women should try and get a job. Why doesn't Janelle get another job she used to work in Utah.

+ Reply to Thread