+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 176 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4074606;
    Actually in the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible it does talk about the levirate, the tradition/requirement that if your brother dies and leaves a widow you should/must marry her (and take care of any children left behind) and support her--and presumably you would also have sex with her.
    There is a difference in marrying your brothers widow (though Henry VIII would disagree with this one after he met Anne Boleyn) and marrying women several women at the same time!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4074584;
    Although the people on this show are not in the same sect as Jeff Warren, they are living the same belief system with Celestial Marriage in the next life, therefore polygamy in this. The extreme groups are not going to be represented on television, it is going to be the cleaned-up version - the ones we may possibly accept. It is very smart on the polygamist's part. But, down at the core of this is a belief system that is against the law - and for good reason (in my opinion). A polygamous society is always going to eventually run into a problem of a shortage of women. The normal ratio for male to female humans is .9375 males to 1 female. That is pretty close! Certainly not enough for every man to have more than one wife without there becoming a shortage pretty quickly. That is why the polygamist societies end up getting rid of the teenage boys. The numbers just wouldn't work out if they kept them around. There are groups that exist just for the purpose of saving these poor boys from the side of the road, where they are dumped in the name of God.

So, my strong objection to polygamy is because I see it as an illegal, harmful practice. I truly hope that this show does not help bring a better public opinion to this practice or change laws that stop it.
    The numbers can't add up when a man has 4 or more wives..... there are only so many women to go around. There are too many "lost boys".

I agree with your last point. I feel this is an attempt to make polygamy palitable (sp?) to the general public and I don't like that! It is not right... I don't care how many thousands of years people have been doing it... how it is some religious right... let us not forget how many years slavery was "okay" or how many years ago women couldn't vote... Just because something was considered okay at some point doesn't make it okay!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Originally Posted by PWS
    Actually in the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible it does talk about the levirate, the tradition/requirement that if your brother dies and leaves a widow you should/must marry her (and take care of any children left behind) and support her--and presumably you would also have sex with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4074809;
    There is a difference in marrying your brothers widow (though Henry VIII would disagree with this one after he met Anne Boleyn) and marrying women several women at the same time!
    Actually, this ancient Hebrew law did apply to marrying your deceased brother's wife even if you already had one (or more) wives. It was a primarily nomadic society (before the establishment of the kingdom of Israel) where plural marriage was the norm, and children were "wealth."

To another poster's point, they also kept slaves.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 10-02-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Although the people on this show are not in the same sect as Jeff Warren, they are living the same belief system with Celestial Marriage in the next life, therefore polygamy in this. The extreme groups are not going to be represented on television, it is going to be the cleaned-up version - the ones we may possibly accept. It is very smart on the polygamist's part.
    Exactly. TLC wants a sanitized version of polygamy to add to its line-up of freak shows and there's no way to sanitize pervy old men "marrying" 12 year old girls a la Jeffs. So they found some normal looking people (versus women who wear prairie dresses and have never cut their hair) who didn't sound too crazy describing their lifestyle and voila, another addition to the extreme theme programming. They've become part of the TLC side show which includes everything from the very small (tiniest people! little people!) to the very tall (world's tallest people!), from the very large (half-ton man/woman/ teen!) to the overpopulated (19 kids! Sextuplets & twins!), physical anomalies (tree man! mermaid girl!) and the mentally unstable (Hoarders!). In TLC-land, Kody & Co. is just another freak show—guy with 3-going-on-4 wives and 16 kids!

I don't care how many thousands of years people have been doing it... how it is some religious right... let us not forget how many years slavery was "okay" or how many years ago women couldn't vote... Just because something was considered okay at some point doesn't make it okay!
    If TLC is actually a "learning" channel, what are young girls who watch Kody & Co. supposed to be learning? That a polygamous family is like a TV sitcom—Three's Company-plus—where all the wives are fun-loving "sisters", all the kids are happy (until the boys are eventually chased off), and the family patriarch is busily adding new wives and impregnating them? (Cue laugh track). "Yes, we're kinda goofy and crazy, but c'mon, don't we look like everyone else? We're normal! Honest! Those creepy old child molesters are polygamists too but we're the nice polygamists! Hey kids, don't forget to add a polygamous marriage to your list of possible life choices!"

Unfortunately for TLC the creepy child molesting polygamists are avoiding TV appearances post Tom Green, so they can't present a balanced view of polygamy. Plus, showing grandpa with his underage wives and "dating" a 12 year old is bad for ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4075014;
    Exactly. TLC wants a sanitized version of polygamy to add to its line-up of freak shows and there's no way to sanitize pervy old men "marrying" 12 year old girls a la Jeffs. So they found some normal looking people (versus women who wear prairie dresses and have never cut their hair) who didn't sound too crazy describing their lifestyle and voila, another addition to the extreme theme programming. They've become part of the TLC side show which includes everything from the very small (tiniest people! little people!) to the very tall (world's tallest people!), from the very large (half-ton man/woman/ teen!) to the overpopulated (19 kids! Sextuplets & twins!), physical anomalies (tree man! mermaid girl!) and the mentally unstable (Hoarders!). In TLC-land, Kody & Co. is just another freak show—guy with 3-going-on-4 wives and 16 kids!

If TLC is actually a "learning" channel, what are young girls who watch Kody & Co. supposed to be learning? That a polygamous family is like a TV sitcom—Three's Company-plus—where all the wives are fun-loving "sisters", all the kids are happy (until the boys are eventually chased off), and the family patriarch is busily adding new wives and impregnating them? (Cue laugh track). "Yes, we're kinda goofy and crazy, but c'mon, don't we look like everyone else? We're normal! Honest! Those creepy old child molesters are polygamists too but we're the nice polygamists! Hey kids, don't forget to add a polygamous marriage to your list of possible life choices!"

Unfortunately for TLC the creepy child molesting polygamists are avoiding TV appearances post Tom Green, so they can't present a balanced view of polygamy. Plus, showing grandpa with his underage wives and "dating" a 12 year old is bad for ratings.
    I so agree with you! It is kind of like saying back in the day "I own slaves, but I don't beat them!". How delightful!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4075014;
    Exactly. TLC wants a sanitized version of polygamy to add to its line-up of freak shows and there's no way to sanitize pervy old men "marrying" 12 year old girls a la Jeffs. So they found some normal looking people (versus women who wear prairie dresses and have never cut their hair) who didn't sound too crazy describing their lifestyle and voila, another addition to the extreme theme programming.

So true! I had to laugh at your description, but it is really very sad!

(Oh, by the way, I noticed that I had that creepy polygamist, Warren Jeff's name wrong - sorry!)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I find what they are doing gross. Eeeewwwwwwwwwwwww............. .....
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just ran across a video where the wives were talking about the addition of the 4th wife. One of them was particularly upset because the husband had sealed their engagement with a kiss. Apparently, earlier wife didn't kiss him until the altar because kissing a married man is wrong. Yeah, my irony meter is going off here...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I thought it was interesting when 2 of the teenaged daughters used the word "wierd" to describe how they felt about the addition of a 4th wife. One of the daughters did not look too happy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just watched my DVRed first episode of this. While I wouldnt personally enter into that lifestyle, I'm going to watch a few more episodes to see how the show forms. I saw this family on The Today Show (the 4th is now a wife), what I found interesting in the first episode is it seemed Meri was the one talking most of jealousy, etc., but what they stated on The Today Show is that Meri is the one that found #4.

On a side note, on the pending investigation/charges. I believe someone in one of the earlier pages posted case law in Utah as to what is considered bigamy. I'm wondering if their "loophole" is going to be that each sister wife has their own "apartment", so he technically isnt living with all of them. I'd take a bet (and probably win), that his primary residence is with wife #1.

I'm not disgusted by the thought... I kind of think of it along the same ways as same sex marriage. Would *I* do it? No. Would I want a law to prevent *others* from doing it? No.

+ Reply to Thread