+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 176 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899139 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

it
    Quote Originally Posted by diamonds78 View Post
    I remember reading a autobiography on a mormon girl that escaped from one of Jeff Warrens compounds and in it she said the phrase that everyone used was "keep sweet". I felt like Meri was pretty much saying this to Christine, keep sweet, shut your mouth and act happy.
    Did anyone notice Meri's Restoration Hardware bedroom set? A little different from the discount furniture store they were shopping in last season. Got to love those TLC dollars.

For them all being one big family, the work load definitely isn't evenly shared. Janelle's two boys who are constantly arguing maybe they should be split up for a while. Meri is in that big house alone without all the chaos if they are all of the children's mothers then why doesn't she take one of the boys and have some other kids stay over?
    As some who is "Mormon" (a nickname. The correct name is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.) I'd like to clarify that you probably read a book about someone from a splinter group. Warren Jeffs is not a member of the "Mormon" church and we don't have "compounds." It might seem picky, but it's a very important difference for someone like me!
    nennie and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonds78 View Post
    I remember reading a autobiography on a mormon girl that escaped from one of Jeff Warrens compounds and in it she said the phrase that everyone used was "keep sweet". I felt like Meri was pretty much saying this to Christine, keep sweet, shut your mouth and act happy.
    Did anyone notice Meri's Restoration Hardware bedroom set? A little different from the discount furniture store they were shopping in last season. Got to love those TLC dollars.

For them all being one big family, the work load definitely isn't evenly shared. Janelle's two boys who are constantly arguing maybe they should be split up for a while. Meri is in that big house alone without all the chaos if they are all of the children's mothers then why doesn't she take one of the boys and have some other kids stay over?
    I only have one Mormon friend but have done a fair bit of reading about fundamentalist Mormons, and I think this family would be horror-struck at being compared in any way to Warren Jeffs' sect. Christine is not oppressed and does not have to fear being banished from her church, her community or worry about losing her children if she takes the option of leaving her marriage. It just looks to me like the dynamic of the family has changed dramatically with the addition of Robyn and it doesn't suit Christine's needs in regards to her spouse.

Also...I get that they do function as one large family in some ways but I personally would not send a child away because he/she was having some behavioural issues. My husband comes from a large family and my MIL has "taken in" kids/teens and this is just me, but I don't approve of it. I think it's often a cop-out on the parent's part and in this case, I think it's hugely unfair to saddle Meri with the responsibility of an extra child in her house because she "only" has one biological child. I can't even think of a situation where I'd farm out one of my kids, especially if it was because she was fighting with her sister.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    it

As some who is "Mormon" (a nickname. The correct name is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.) I'd like to clarify that you probably read a book about someone from a splinter group. Warren Jeffs is not a member of the "Mormon" church and we don't have "compounds." It might seem picky, but it's a very important difference for someone like me!
    Didn't mean to offend. This is the book I read it was very good:

Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs

From what I remember seeing in some past episodes and appearances on other shows they have worked extremely hard to seperate themselves from the Warren Jeff's sect and child bride debacles that occur in separatist groups like that. They and most people I've met involved with that church do not in anyway want to continue to be associated with those extremist groups.

Polygamy and child brides are two whole different animals. Just because a group or culture believes in polygamy or any form of polyamory does not mean they will be or are child molesters and it's unfortunate I think in the Mormon community that is how it ends up always publicized. You never hear about the functional stories. But then again since people who walk out of the polyamory closet are obviously persecuted (like Kody and his folks were) I suppose it makes it more difficult to come out and share the good stories.

I still feel incredibly bad that this family was chased out of their state/community.
    Imperfect1 and sparklete like this.

I thik that if you can't protect your child from battery, you need to place them somewhere safe, until you can. I do think they should deal with the problem head on, but they don't seem to be that concerned with it. Kody gets it. He stated the boys need to understand that when you assault people as adults, you go to prison. I heard Meri intervene once when some of the kids were bullying one of Robyn's kids. I think she gets it.

Rarely, there can be a child within a family that is physically dangerous, but I am not seeing it here. Brothers (and sisters) can go through a phase where they lash out physically at each other. It could be that Kody & Janelle are punishing the boys appropriately and we just haven't seen it. But I didn't like how Kody failed to intervene at the scene we did see and appeared to leave it all up to Janelle.
    ButterflyFaery likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

As far as last night's epi (5/27) I am glad Christine and Robyn have worked through whatever issues Christine had with Robyn and realized it was Cody that Christine has the problems with.

Cody is a spoiled brat. New MacBook and could care less. Ugh.

I love Logan, Janelle's oldest son. What a great young man he has grown up to be. I am guessing that any issues that Janelle's other two son's have with each other, they will work them out in time. Janelle has proven to me that she is a great Mom.

Robyn's baby is HUGE. Yikes. almost 16 pounds at 3 months. And there is no way I would ever guess that Robyn weighed around 160 pounds. She looks great and carries it well.

OK I have a question from LAST week's epi (5/20) why why why was Meri, who admitted to never skiing before, why did she NOT have any poles???? Cody who seems to know what he is doing was using poles, yet Meri NONE! And yikes, she falls and snaps her knee. Who wants to be laid upn with a broken knee all because she was not given or chose not to use ski poles UGH.
    KAREN

....I have a question from LAST week's epi (5/20) why why why was Meri, who admitted to never skiing before, why did she NOT have any poles???? Cody who seems to know what he is doing was using poles, yet Meri NONE! And yikes, she falls and snaps her knee. Who wants to be laid upn with a broken knee all because she was not given or chose not to use ski poles UGH.
    It's been years, but... When somebody took me skiing for the first time I was told to rent these very very short skis. They were called "progressive" skis...or something like that. (I'm probably mistaken about what they were called. *sigh*) They didn't come with poles which, at the time, I thought was odd but the way it was supposed to be.

First and last time I ever skied.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    It's been years, but... When somebody took me skiing for the first time I was told to rent these very very short skis. They were called "progressive" skis...or something like that. (I'm probably mistaken about what they were called. *sigh*) They didn't come with poles which, at the time, I thought was odd but the way it was supposed to be.

First and last time I ever skied.
    Thanks, TB for your post.

I hope someone with skiing experience will weigh in here because I just do not see the POINT of NO poles. Short skiis or not I think you NEED poles. (This coming from me, a non skier.)
    KAREN

I happened to catch the moment with the laptop and it bothered me when Robyn said that she knew Cody didn't really want one. It was probably nothing, but I saw it as one of those passive-aggressive things people do.
    nanarama and its_glinda_now like this.

+ Reply to Thread