+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 173 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990130 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 1722
Like Tree653Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

  1. #791
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Sister Wives

    Considering that anti-Semitism is alive and well globally, I don't find the prejudice against Mormons to be all that peculiar. Wrong, but unfortunately not strange. The same is true for Islam.
    Debb70 likes this.

  2. #792
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,974

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Considering that anti-Semitism is alive and well globally, I don't find the prejudice against Mormons to be all that peculiar. Wrong, but unfortunately not strange. The same is true for Islam.
    Funny you say that. Have you seen the previews for a new TLC show? Is called Muslim and American. I could hardly believe it! Now that is right darn bold. With the way many in this country feel about Muslims, I'll admit, I would be afraid to put my life out there on a reality tv show!

  3. #793
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Sister Wives

    I have not seen the previews, but I will definitely check it out. Thanks!

  4. #794
    FORT Fogey Imperfect1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,005

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I don't think I have ever known the general public to be so mean and ignorant about any one religion. It's odd that much of it still goes on today.
    Unfortunately, I think the general public's being mean and ignorant about any unfamiliar religion or way of life is the RULE and not the EXCEPTION. The general public is critical and unaccepting about every lifestyle that is unusual and unfamiliar, whether it be a different religion, culture, lifestyle choice, ethnicity, custom, handicap, body size, fashion choice, or whatever. Sadly, we seem to be a very unforgiving and critical species, and we don't like anything is strange and different. If you're not 'mainstream' you're going to get criticized, or worse. . . sometimes ostracized, sometimes bullied, and sometimes even attacked and seriously harmed.
    Debb70 likes this.

  5. #795
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,974

    Re: Sister Wives

    Here's an article about the the TLC show. It's about several American Muslims who are quite different. One wears a headscarf, one has tattoos and is married to an Irish-Catholic, etc. It airs in early November.

    Muslim Reality Show, All-American Muslim, To Premiere On TLC (VIDEO)

  6. #796
    A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    618

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Unfortunately, I think the general public's being mean and ignorant about any unfamiliar religion or way of life is the RULE and not the EXCEPTION. The general public is critical and unaccepting about every lifestyle that is unusual and unfamiliar, whether it be a different religion, culture, lifestyle choice, ethnicity, custom, handicap, body size, fashion choice, or whatever. Sadly, we seem to be a very unforgiving and critical species, and we don't like anything is strange and different. If you're not 'mainstream' you're going to get criticized, or worse. . . sometimes ostracized, sometimes bullied, and sometimes even attacked and seriously harmed.
    Well, for me personally, one thing the LDS Church could do to help the situation is to quit sending boys half my age to my home to tell me they're right and I'm wrong. I'm all for letting everyone live as they want to, I wish religious folks had the same attitude.

    And to keep this from being a total derail, I have to shake my head when Kody and the gang lament the fact that they had to leave Utah. What did they expect? Didn't the issue of plural marriage jeopardize Utah's statehood bid way back when? Did Kody really expect the state to say, hey, you guys are great people, we'll support plural marriage again, even though its opposed by the rest of the country? And its kind of funny to me that Kody, a man of great spiritual faith and belief, found salvation in a city that thrives on gambling, drinking and has a legal prostitution business or two within driving distance.

  7. #797
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,974

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy View Post
    Well, for me personally, one thing the LDS Church could do to help the situation is to quit sending boys half my age to my home to tell me they're right and I'm wrong. I'm all for letting everyone live as they want to, I wish religious folks had the same attitude.

    And to keep this from being a total derail, I have to shake my head when Kody and the gang lament the fact that they had to leave Utah. What did they expect? Didn't the issue of plural marriage jeopardize Utah's statehood bid way back when? Did Kody really expect the state to say, hey, you guys are great people, we'll support plural marriage again, even though its opposed by the rest of the country? And its kind of funny to me that Kody, a man of great spiritual faith and belief, found salvation in a city that thrives on gambling, drinking and has a legal prostitution business or two within driving distance.
    I get your position on the missionaries, but most all churches have them. They do it because the Bible says to go into the world and teach others about his message. (I'm not suggesting you are Christian, but that's what they base it on.) I will say that when I was a teen, the LDS missionaries in my town, were super nice guys. They weren't pushy at all. They never said we are right and you are wrong. They were quite diplomatic about it.

    I think Kody probably did consider what the repercussions would be of going on tv with his life, but it didn't hit him how serious it would turn out until the criminal investigation was announced. If that had not happened, he would probably have kept the status quo.

    I have often thought of Vegas as sin city too, however, I was surprised to hear what a family friendly area it is from lots of people with families who work in Vegas such as Celine Dion, Donny and Marie Osmond (LDS) and others. It seems there is an entire separate culture of wholesome folk who aren't there for the partying.
    nanarama likes this.

  8. #798
    FORT Fogey PA Snow Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Sister Wives

    PIMguy, for some reason I can't quote you but I agree with you! I have these 2 young gentlemen who stop by my office every month to try & preach to me abou the evils of big business. Cold-hearted, wicked me has to show them the door.
    I don't watch this show mainly because I don't agree with their lifestyle. I feel zero sympathy for Kody & Krew. The solution to not being able to afford the children you already have is to NOT have another child. He drives around in a Lexus & can afford rent on several homes correct? Does TLC pay them per wife or as 1 unit?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

  9. #799
    8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,494

    Re: Sister Wives

    FYI - Robin had her baby.



    'Sister Wives' couple welcomes another baby into the big family
    By Anna Chan

    And baby makes 22!

    According to a People exclusive, "Sister Wives" hubby Kody Brown and wife No. 4, Robyn, welcomed a baby boy on Wednesday morning. The child is the first for the couple, but is the 17th in the plural family.

    Baby Solomon weighs in at 9 lbs, 10.5 ounces and was born in the pair's Las Vegas home, according to People.

    "He’s perfect and we couldn’t be happier," Kody told People about the latest addition. "We are so thrilled."

    The TLC show last season featured the marriage of Brown and Robyn. This season, it has highlighted unhappiness felt by wife No. 3, Christine, in her plural marriage. The family is currently challenging Utah's polygamy law, arguing that its unconstitutional and unfairly applied to polygamists. The state, where the Browns used to live, was investigating Kody for felony bigamy before the family moved to Nevada.

    The show airs on Sundays at 9 on TLC.
    Debb70 likes this.

  10. #800
    FORT Fanatic jenniferboston1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    610

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    PIMguy, for some reason I can't quote you but I agree with you! I have these 2 young gentlemen who stop by my office every month to try & preach to me abou the evils of big business. Cold-hearted, wicked me has to show them the door.
    I don't watch this show mainly because I don't agree with their lifestyle. I feel zero sympathy for Kody & Krew. The solution to not being able to afford the children you already have is to NOT have another child. He drives around in a Lexus & can afford rent on several homes correct? Does TLC pay them per wife or as 1 unit?
    TOP of the line Lexus! <3

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.