+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 176 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121171 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

I really think there was more to the move than was said. I understand people lost their jobs and supposedly the police were coming (I think in his own mind)BUT if the family had not put their lifestyle out on main street none of this would have happened. I could easily see the places they worked for letting them go, for business reasons. Whether we approve or not of their lifestyle it all comes down to did the companies lose business (which transforms to money) because of their choices. Why would they not have thought this through and realized there would be consequences for their actions. The ones to feel sorry for are the children.
    There's no place like home!

The family has seen many negative things happen as a result of them coming out, however, I would guess it was a risk they felt worth taking. They may have under estimated the reaction they would get.

Perhaps they should have considered the legal implications a little bit more. I will say that because they feel so strongly in their faith and its teachings, I think they approached this as a stand that someone needed to make. If no one ever sat at the lunch counter or sat in the front of the bus, then civil rights for blacks may not have progressed the way it did. Remember, while it was called civil disobedience, there were laws in place that prohibited blacks from doing certain things. I realize that it is not the same thing as promoting polygamy, however, I can see the similarities. If no one ever has the courage to step forward, then nothing will ever change. People who stood for civil rights had their houses bombed, their life threatened and some were beaten and even killed. The families were not even safe.

If you had told me 20 years ago that any state would recognize same sex marriage, I would not have believed you. Look at where we stand today. I guess the Browns are trying to promote their type of marriage so that 20 years from now, their kids can have a legal polygamous marriage if they choose to.

No, I have not adopted their cause, but I just wanted to present a different perspective on the matter.
    Last edited by Debb70; 05-24-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    It really is wrong that people have to runaway like some sort of Murderers on the lam. I never have understood why we are so fascinated by the sexual dealing of others and who and why they have sex. These people are a nice family that is being uprooted because of Ignorance.
    They have lived a nice quiet life together with no issues from LE. Now that they choose to do a reality tv show netting them $50,000 an epi … all he$$ breaks lose.
    They.brought.this.on.themselve s. I am so guessing they DISCUSSED this prior to filming SW. But sometimes (allot of) money clouds peoples thinking…..
    KAREN

50k an episode? seriously? wow
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    50k an episode? seriously? wow
    $10,000 per adult.
    KAREN

Something I forgot about... Did they even talk about Janelle and her job in Utah? It sounded like she made a good living at her job. Did they ever discuss how she felt about leaving that job, because it seems like she had the job for awhile and enjoyed it?
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Something I forgot about... Did they even talk about Janelle and her job in Utah? It sounded like she made a good living at her job. Did they ever discuss how she felt about leaving that job, because it seems like she had the job for awhile and enjoyed it?
    No, there was no discussing Janelle leaving her job or what her and Kody will do once they are in Vegas. I am sure all 4 (Meri and Robyn) will get jobs. Christine will stay home and there are enough older kiddos to help her with all the little ones to allow Robyn (although she is preggers) to get employment.

Sheesh, with no one working, how are they affording medical/dental/eye care for 5 adults and 16+ kiddos………????
    KAREN

FORT Newbie

I was watching this last night and it was the first time I got very uncomfortable with this show. I consider myself a pretty tolerant person, but the way this whole move has been portrayed, I found very sloppy and with no regard to the childrens emotional well being. I wanted to slap Kody numerous times. I understand this had to be rushed due to legal issues, but to tell your children you're moving in three days and you can't tell anyone...
    This is what I am confused about. Where is the evidence? I mean I don't see anyone saying "We're going to arrest these people" either in the news (surely we'd hear about it...) or on TLC. (they would surely milk it!) Are they really on the run? Are they? Or do they want us to think they are?

I think Kody simply wanted to move to Las Vegas. The wives had no choice but to go. I hope this isn't the start of a collapse as I do like the women. Kody, no.

This is my guess. I have no proof of it, but it's just my feelings. I believe it is very possible that the state felt they had to prosecute Kody, because he was flaunting his lifestyle on national tv. Mormons don't like that kind of thing, because it reflects poorly on them, in their mind. It was announced publically that people in their community had complained. How can the state just sit by and do nothing? It makes them look as if they are weak or condoning it. So, the only option was for Kody to leave the state. If he leaves the state, then Utah doesn't have to charge him. And if anyone questions it, the state can say, hey it would cost the state thousands of dollars to have him extradicted from Nevada. Let Nevada take care of him. Good riddance. I think the state hestitated to prosecute him, because it would turn into a media circus and Kody is not like the mean, old perverts. He could have become a martyr. I don't think they wanted the publicity. (Children and wives crying for their daddy in jail everyweek.) NO way.

So, once the state's representative informed Kody's attorney of their plan, Kody realized he had to leave or they would get charged. So, they played it up like they did for the cameras. That IMO is why Kody really could not listen to opinions about them not leaving. There really was no choice about it. Stay and get charged or leave and be free.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    This is my guess. I have no proof of it, but it's just my feelings. I believe it is very possible that the state felt they had to prosecute Kody, because he was flaunting his lifestyle on national tv. Mormons don't like that kind of thing, because it reflects poorly on them, in their mind. It was announced publically that people in their community had complained. How can the state just sit by and do nothing? It makes them look as if they are weak or condoning it. So, the only option was for Kody to leave the state. If he leaves the state, then Utah doesn't have to charge him. And if anyone questions it, the state can say, hey it would cost the state thousands of dollars to have him extradicted from Nevada. Let Nevada take care of him. Good riddance. I think the state hestitated to prosecute him, because it would turn into a media circus and Kody is not like the mean, old perverts. He could have become a martyr. I don't think they wanted the publicity. (Children and wives crying for their daddy in jail everyweek.) NO way.

So, once the state's representative informed Kody's attorney of their plan, Kody realized he had to leave or they would get charged. So, they played it up like they did for the cameras. That IMO is why Kody really could not listen to opinions about them not leaving. There really was no choice about it. Stay and get charged or leave and be free.
    I agree with you, completely, Debb BUT why did they make it look like LE was right on their tales . leaving the Utah home in complete disarray . bizarre how they handled all of it.

ITA that Kody is a total media hound. Maybe not at the beginning, but once season 1 was off and running, everywhere they went (Kody/wives) their was someone there (from TMZ to fans) snapping their pictures. Kody LOVES it.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread