+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 176 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980120170 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Re: Sister Wives

JD - thanks for the info. I really found it very interesting.

Very sad episode but as far as this "not being the America" Robyn learned about in school, umm, Robyn, I don't recall learning that polygamy was a lifestyle that was embraced when I was in school.

They brought this all on themselves when they chose to do the show. They have been in Utah since they all got married and was never bothered by anyone. They choose to do the show and with that brings tons of media attention which then sparks the law to start looking into their lifestyle.

That one part when Kody was so frustrated with the move, got mad at Janelle and was whining to Christine about "her sister wife" when Christine snapped back quickly, "she is your wife" … Kody replies, "not today" …. oh.dear.Lord.

I felt horrible for those kids. Horrible. To uproot them from all their friends with as much as a 3 day notice. Horrible.

Then did anyone notice how Kody was running around packing HIMSELF up from each wife's bedroom. He shows up at Robyn's, while Robyn is busy packing her kiddos and Kody is talking to the camera stating how he has come here to pack HIMSELF up … no mention to Robyn about helping her with her 3.

That business with all the flat tires. Just so poorly organized.

ONE MONTH RENTAL and on the road AGAIN….????
    KAREN

I was watching this last night and it was the first time I got very uncomfortable with this show. I consider myself a pretty tolerant person, but the way this whole move has been portrayed, I found very sloppy and with no regard to the childrens emotional well being. I wanted to slap Kody numerous times. I understand this had to be rushed due to legal issues, but to tell your children you're moving in three days and you can't tell anyone... i just felt sick to my stomach for the kids. How unprepared can you be? You don't know where you're going to be living and then you can't make up your mind what day you are leaving. He keeps preaching about the family staying together, but they'll be four homes that everyone will be living in. That's not together. Like I said I understand why they are moving, but I feel sick how it has been handled. Very rushed and unprepared. Kids need stability and that whole episode reeked of emotional distress.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Yeah, it was a mess, but I wonder if they had to do it that way because of legal advice they got. If you notice, they haven't said much of anything about checking with their attorney. If I was in Kody's shoes, I would have been on the phone with my attorney asking, have they called you yet? Have they said they are pressing charges? Will they call you first, so I'm not awakened in the middle of the night? We heard none of that. That's why I think the lawyer was giving them secret advice as to what they should do and they were told to keep it quiet, not to even mention it on their tv show. That's just my take on it.

I thought it was pretty nice of TMZ to give them 24 hours notice before they ran the story of their move. Wonder who reported it to TMZ? Hmmmmmm.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Thanks for your info on Mormons J.D. I am a little confused. Why were your kids left out of social events as you described above? I don't follow.

I wonder if the good people of their hometown feel safer now that they are gone?

There are several areas here that are more *uppity* than others. We just happened to live in one of those areas.

When I was a child going to church, we were taught that LDS church was the "only true church." More than taught, but rather indoctrinated. Most people are aware of the missionaries who leave the area and travel around the world recruiting members. Well, even the children are taught that we are all missionaries of the church, and we should bring as many into the fold as possible. I'm not sure how far the church has backed off that teaching, but I know it's not as pervasive as it used to be. Back then it was a pretty standard mindset - we are the only true believers, and only those who join us will receive salvation. At that time, my girls were not members - they were not even active participants, and therefore were basically shunned. It wasn't outright bullying - it was more of a passive-agressive act.

The idea is that if the neighbors aren't members in good standing, there must be a reason why. They must be sinners, and will therefore be outcasts.

Rather than have our kids left out of social events and just daily activities with other children, our kids were baptized to be part of the group. It's a sad way to live, but that's the reality.

This was 20 years ago, however - and I'm pretty sure this is not so prevalent anymore.

The Osmonds were/are the perfect poster children for Mormonism. I don't know the family personally, but they do represent the church well.

I think I should make it clear that I'm only speaking from my own experience. Obviously I can't speak for others -

And many (most, actually) really do have hearts of gold and really good intentions. They are reliable, loyal and charitable. It's just those few bad apples....

Your question about the neighbors feeling safer now that the Browns have moved away is interesting. I don't know that the Browns posed a threat - other than the camera crews who must have always been around shooting. They seem to be nice enough people - although I don't care for Kody - I think he's just more annoying than anything else.

Now that I think about it - if I were Meri, I might consider having a few sister-wives just to get him out of my hair now and then.

J.D, thanks for the clarification. It's not right to feel you HAVE to be of a certain faith or you are frowned upon. That's not right, no matter who it is IMO. My experience with forced religion is that it spoils you for later in life. Because I was so forced into the Fundamental Baptist faith, I have an issue with organized religion today.

The church my family attended was also very narrow minded. Eveybody else was wrong....etc.. My cousin and I, in addition to a mutual friend, who's dad was LDS, actually met the LDS missionaries in our small town. They were super nice and we tried to flirt a litte, while I could tell they knew it was not allowed. LOL They were older than we were as we were in high school. We actually attended what they called lessons that my cousin's mom allowed to take place in her home. If you completed the lessons succuessfully, you could get Baptized, I think. My friend did, but my cousin and I were not allowed, because we didn't have parental consent.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    There are several areas here that are more *uppity* than others. We just happened to live in one of those areas.

When I was a child going to church, we were taught that LDS church was the "only true church." More than taught, but rather indoctrinated. Most people are aware of the missionaries who leave the area and travel around the world recruiting members. Well, even the children are taught that we are all missionaries of the church, and we should bring as many into the fold as possible. I'm not sure how far the church has backed off that teaching, but I know it's not as pervasive as it used to be. Back then it was a pretty standard mindset - we are the only true believers, and only those who join us will receive salvation. At that time, my girls were not members - they were not even active participants, and therefore were basically shunned. It wasn't outright bullying - it was more of a passive-agressive act.

The idea is that if the neighbors aren't members in good standing, there must be a reason why. They must be sinners, and will therefore be outcasts.

Rather than have our kids left out of social events and just daily activities with other children, our kids were baptized to be part of the group. It's a sad way to live, but that's the reality.

This was 20 years ago, however - and I'm pretty sure this is not so prevalent anymore.

The Osmonds were/are the perfect poster children for Mormonism. I don't know the family personally, but they do represent the church well.

I think I should make it clear that I'm only speaking from my own experience. Obviously I can't speak for others -

And many (most, actually) really do have hearts of gold and really good intentions. They are reliable, loyal and charitable. It's just those few bad apples....

Your question about the neighbors feeling safer now that the Browns have moved away is interesting. I don't know that the Browns posed a threat - other than the camera crews who must have always been around shooting. They seem to be nice enough people - although I don't care for Kody - I think he's just more annoying than anything else.

Now that I think about it - if I were Meri, I might consider having a few sister-wives just to get him out of my hair now and then.
    I think we've been through this before and were asked to take the ex Mormons bashing Mormons to another thread since these people aren't Mormon.

I think Christianity gets a bad rap these days for thinking they are superior and most churches don't teach that, but teach that we should love everyone and that we are all children of the same God. Of course they teach that what they are preaching is the truth. If you don't believe that what your church teaches is true why would you go there?

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    I think we've been through this before and were asked to take the ex Mormons bashing Mormons to another thread since these people aren't Mormon.

I think Christianity gets a bad rap these days for thinking they are superior and most churches don't teach that, but teach that we should love everyone and that we are all children of the same God. Of course they teach that what they are preaching is the truth. If you don't believe that what your church teaches is true why would you go there?
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was bashing. It certainly wasn't intentional. I don't have anything against mormons in general - as my post states. In fact, I thought I was speaking highly of mormons in most of my post.

I was just explaining part of the culture here - mormon or not. I don't consider myself an ex-mormon - just an inactive one. I also wanted to clarify the difference between LDS and fundamentalists, I made note that things have definitely changed - evolved - in the last twenty or so years.

None of my comments were meant to offend anyone - I wanted to simply answer a few questions. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.

Hi everyone, yes, could we get back to discussing Sister Wives. Thx.
    KAREN

It really is wrong that people have to runaway like some sort of Murderers on the lam. I never have understood why we are so fascinated by the sexual dealing of others and who and why they have sex. These people are a nice family that is being uprooted because of Ignorance.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread