+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 176 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4071802;
    I don't think the kids have much to contend with either, over this. The student body of their school is comprised almost entirely of children of polygamists.
    What school do these kids attend? I've heard both that they go to a private school with all polygamist children, and to a public school, where they would definitely not be in the majority. If they were even 1% of the population of the public school I'd be very surprised.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4073499;
    What school do these kids attend? I've heard both that they go to a private school with all polygamist children, and to a public school, where they would definitely not be in the majority. If they were even 1% of the population of the public school I'd be very surprised.
    On the show, they said the kids used to be home schooled but now attend a "community" school where the great majority of the students have "more than one mom" and live in polygamist familes.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I DVRd the first episode of this show and watched it late last night. For me, it was like watching a car wreck. I didn't want to look, because I found it so very odd, but my curiosity got the better of me and I watched every minute of it.

I sensed a bit of jealousy among all three of these women, no matter what they seemed to imply, and I think the addition of a fourth wife (along with other children) will cause more problems then any members of the family anticipates. When you consider they've been together for 16 years without the addition of any other women in the household(s) I belive they're in for a rough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4073487;

In several cultures, the LDS culture included, it was practiced at a time when there were more men than women, women needed a man to help support them and it was not culturally acceptable for women to have children outside of marriage. In most cultures polygamy is/was only praticed in a small portion of the population, in the case of the LDS it was less than 2% of the population and very few of those had more than 2 wives. Interestingly the 2 wives were often sisters, the one sister who married first not wanting to see her sister live her life alone and childless.

Nothing wrong with taking care of unmarried women, its the "Marrying and sleeping" with that bothers me. Can one not "take care" of someone without sex?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox;4073555;
    I DVRd the first episode of this show and watched it late last night. For me, it was like watching a car wreck. I didn't want to look, because I found it so very odd, but my curiosity got the better of me and I watched every minute of it.

I sensed a bit of jealousy among all three of these women, no matter what they seemed to imply, and I think the addition of a fourth wife (along with other children) will cause more problems then any members of the family anticipates. When you consider they've been together for 16 years without the addition of any other women in the household(s) I belive they're in for a rough time.
    There will be jealousy. I would be jealous! And if I had another husband, my husband would be jealous! I don't share! There is a sanctity between the love and marriage of two people (gay or straight) once you have multiple partners it kind of cheapens marriage.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4073614;
    Nothing wrong with taking care of unmarried women, its the "Marrying and sleeping" with that bothers me. Can one not "take care" of someone without sex?
    lol! You are so right Libgirl2! I love how your posts are so often "the voice of reason".

If it is a religious thing, the bible says to take care of widows and orphans. But, it doesn't mention sleeping with them!:nono

I agree with all who have said that adults have the right to choose their lifestyle, as long as they are choosing it. BUT that is not the case in polygamy because the children are not being given the choice on whether they want to live in this environment and they are being indoctrinated into this belief system. The little girls are taught that they cannot get to heaven unless they get there through a husband and that their glory is to bear children. They are also taught that it is wrong to have normal human emotions, such as jealousy, when it comes to sharing their husband. As far as I am concerned, this is not a case of "live and let live". That is like saying it is fine for parents to raise their children to be suicide bombers. If you take a child and groom them for something that will ultimately hurt them, that is abuse in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4073636;
    lol! You are so right Libgirl2! I love how your posts are so often "the voice of reason".

If it is a religious thing, the bible says to take care of widows and orphans. But, it doesn't mention sleeping with them!:nono

I agree with all who have said that adults have the right to choose their lifestyle, as long as they are choosing it. BUT that is not the case in polygamy because the children are not being given the choice on whether they want to live in this environment and they are being indoctrinated into this belief system. The little girls are taught that they cannot get to heaven unless they get there through a husband and that their glory is to bear children. They are also taught that it is wrong to have normal human emotions, such as jealousy, when it comes to sharing their husband. As far as I am concerned, this is not a case of "live and let live". That is like saying it is fine for parents to raise their children to be suicide bombers. If you take a child and groom them for something that will ultimately hurt them, that is abuse in my book.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4073636;

First, rightly or wrongly, children never have a choice in determining what cultural/familial environment they are reared in. I've known plenty of kids raised by single moms, or absentee career moms who would have opted for something else, given the choice. It's not theirs to choose until it's their turn to raise children. Additionally, all kids eventually get to reject their parents' religious beliefs. I know I did.

I do not think the kids in this show are being brainwashed, or at least not more brainwashed than I was (having been reared in Catholicism).

I would not equate the religious teachings in this family to teaching children to be "suicide bombers" although, in either case, I suppose we are talking about hot button religious issues which don't belong in this discussion.

[mod edit]

Their religious teaching (which I find to be ridiculous) is that somehow a man with multiple wives and many children receives a "higher award" in heaven. I can't believe that none of these kids will say, "Huh? How could you possibly know such a thing?" when they are of age. In the meantime, they are well loved, well provided for, and happy to all appearances.

On the subject of jealousy: it's a base human emotion consisting of equal parts of hatred/anger/hurt. It might be natural, but like any of our lizard-brain emotions, it's not to be indulged. It can be overcome with work, and it should be. Especially if you signed up to be a sister wife.
    Last edited by Mariner; 10-01-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

It's kind of like this guy goes around acting as if he is a single man...looking for women, while his current wives sit home, living a committed life, acting as a married woman should, always knowing and anticipating that the day will come when he will bring home a new wife, most likely a younger one. This reminds me of a guy I dated...I was totally commited to him and the relationship and thought he was too, but I found out he was out there acting as if he was single, hitting on other women! I'm with the others who say..."I don't share!!!"

Another side note...from what I've read and heard...Mormons also teach that a woman cannot get called up to heaven UNLESS she has a husband. So...I guess in their eyes...it's better to be one wife to a man who has many than to be single w/o a husband at all. At least that way they will be called up to heaven by the hubby, along with all the other wives whereas if they were single, that would not happen.

And to the person who said that the 3 wives and him have been a "team" for the last 16 yrs with no new players...I agree...I think after 16 yrs of their closed family, bringing a new wife will definitely cause drama and much jealousy. Does anyone know how old the new wife is?

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4073732;
    It's kind of like this guy goes around acting as if he is a single man...looking for women, while his current wives sit home, living a committed life, acting as a married woman should, always knowing and anticipating that the day will come when he will bring home a new wife, most likely a younger one. This reminds me of a guy I dated...I was totally commited to him and the relationship and thought he was too, but I found out he was out there acting as if he was single, hitting on other women! I'm with the others who say..."I don't share!!!"

Another side note...from what I've read and heard...Mormons also teach that a woman cannot get called up to heaven UNLESS she has a husband. So...I guess in their eyes...it's better to be one wife to a man who has many than to be single w/o a husband at all. At least that way they will be called up to heaven by the hubby, along with all the other wives whereas if they were single, that would not happen.

And to the person who said that the 3 wives and him have been a "team" for the last 16 yrs with no new players...I agree...I think after 16 yrs of their closed family, bringing a new wife will definitely cause drama and much jealousy. Does anyone know how old the new wife is?

OK - I promise I'll sit on my hands after this and not dominate the discussion through my proliferation of posts.

I have no use for any religion that claims 1) it knows exactly what the afterlife will be, and 2) that only members of it's own club will enjoy the plumiest rewards. I'm sorry if I offend anyone here. I don't find any of them credible.

The best explanation of Mormon heaven is that it has 3 levels. Yep. Number 3 is the "exalted" level and, yes, celestial marriage is the rule there. Singles not allowed. Of course, there are 2 other levels... but you can't be a "God" in them. It's unclear to me if the "God" option exists for the lowly female, at all:

Eternal Marriage is essential for exaltation. A key element of Mormon doctrine and the foundation for exaltation in the highest heaven is celestial marriage. Exaltation is the primary goal for each Mormon to achieve. To understand the Latter-Day Saints' desire to enter into an eternal marriage it is important to understand the term "exaltation." Of note is that their current teaching is that celestial marriage is only attainable for couples married in their Temple by a "Priesthood holder." Ok. Joseph Smith's doctrine added multiple wives to the celestial eternal equation. And his was the first, the FDLS would argue.

Exaltation, according to an official Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints publication, "is eternal life, the kind of life that God lives. He lives in great glory. He is perfect. He possesses all knowledge and all wisdom. He is the father of spirit children. He is a creator. We can become gods like our Heavenly Father. This is exaltation."
    Mormon Beliefs about Prophecy, Heaven, and Celestial Marriage (the other 2 levels are explained here, as well, if anyone is interested). No offense to Mormons or FLSD intended, but really.... the concept of plural marriage sounds tedious and complicated to me. Not that I do not understand its appeal to certain men and women.

As for the celestial marriage gig, I have to say that I adore my husband, but I only signed up for "Until death do us part." If there's a heaven, I fully expect to date Errol Flynn, Alexander the Great, and Albert Einstein. They are on top of my all time wish list. So, I guess I won't be leveling up after level 2.

+ Reply to Thread