+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 165 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119 ... LastLast
Like Tree560Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    At one point I heard Kody state that he wanted a place "where they could have more children". MORE, their 17th one is on the way.
    I absolutely love this show. I think I missed this tho.... one of the wives are pregnant?

Quote Originally Posted by lilcountriegal View Post
    I absolutely love this show. I think I missed this tho.... one of the wives are pregnant?
    Yes, they recently stated that Robyn is expecting, due I believe in the Fall.
    KAREN

wow. I totally missed that. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I'm curious if people here have a different opinion of polygamy after watching this show. I never thought about it much before, but now I see it like same-sex marriage: why shouldn't it be legal? This family is a lot less dysfunctional than supposed traditional families, and if Kody is allowed to legally have four wives that doesn't affect the rest of us. I'm just wondering why it's so taboo.
    I have to admit that for me it has, at least for this family. It isn't a lifestyle I would ever choose for myself, but they have the right to live the way they want to as long as they aren't hurting anyone else. My previous stereotypes of a polygamous family included children being abused and wives being treated (and acting) like objects without minds of their own. I believe that from what we have been shown in this family, neither of those factors are at play. They seem to me to be good people, and I have not been able to help falling in like with them. Yes Kody is hard to take but I have even grown to like him a bit. I like the wives- they are nice, not catty, and voice their opinions- and honestly they seem happy. I particularly like the kids- they seem happy, well adjusted and just plain old good kids. I love how the family finds joy doing things together and put a lot of energy into planning these activities. They are being raised with more love and structure than many other kids living in so-called traditional families. So I admit- I like them! They should not have to move away from their home or be split up.

It does suck if they are having to move because of prejudice against their lifestlye. Does anybody know what they have stated the reason is for the move? Is it possibility of actual legal trouble, or just the feeling they are going to be shunned? I'm not clear on why they are making the move.

I get one thing though: it's going to be tough for them to find housing. Their situation is not that common.

These kids do seem very "normal" from what I've seen; however I think this kind of lifestyle can be hard on kids and I don't like that. I don't believe in telling people how to lead their personal lives though.

I don't really know what to make of this family these days. Lol. I watched a little bit and some of the women are actually likeable. I don't like the husband though, because he seems very childish and egotistical to me.

I cannot imagine ever choosing this lifestyle for myself. But that's mainly because I couldn't handle a family that big. Too many people, and I tend to be a bit of a privacy freak and a loner.

Not sure I would want to share a man either.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I know I wouldn't volutarily share my husband with other women. (It appears I was sharing him unknowingly, however. Ick.) But having the choice to share or not seems - well, private. It's up to them. We Mormons frown on it since it is immoral and not chaste. Other than the moral judgment, I don't understand why the lifestyle is illegal. The whole argument about a man not being allowed to live with more than one woman who he is having "sexual relations" with just doesn't make legal sense to me.

I can't speak about the tax benefits they may receive - I'm not really up on the tax codes, although I can't imagine the Browns having any legal issues if only Kody and Meri are actually married and are not committing some sort of fraud. It seems they could file either jointly or separately - whichever legally suits them best. I would assume the other "wives" file as single heads of household and receive tax benefits afforded them by that filing status. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they are audited by the IRS, if they haven't been already.

Although it has been mentioned previously in this thread, I want to reiterate that the Browns are Fundamentalist Mormons, and are NOT considered members of the Church of Latter Day Saints ("Mormons") at all. So while the Browns were semi-celebrities in the beginning - which bothered me to no end - I think as locals watched the show and got more familiar with the Browns' lifestyle, the family became more and more left out of the social circles and activities. Mormon neighborhoods are pretty tight and clique-ish. And very judgmental. (I'm just speaking from my experience as a Mormon growing up in a "regular" Mormon area.)

My kids were not active in the church when they were little, and were not baptized at the age of eight as is common practice. Prior to their baptism, they were sort of shunned, not invited to slumber parties, left out of carpools, that sort of thing. My ex (not the one mentioned above) and I divorced when our kids were fairly young, and he had them baptised for the sole reason of socal acceptance. Not a good reason to join a church imo, but also not uncommon here. My girls went along with it...so I didn't raise a fuss over it, but I also didn't attend the "festivities". (My girls are adults now, and neither are active Mormons, but are still on the list of members. It's nearly impossible to be removed from the list.)

Just a side note - I worked as a paralegal in Salt Lake City for about 20 years, and worked on several wills/estates and other directives. Boy can those things get complicated! The sister wives are listed as just that - sister wives. Or sister aunts, etc., you get the idea. Although I was uncomfortable with the relationships, I've never seen any of these cases contested or even having probate issues - so as weird as these relationships seem to the rest of us - they must have something going for them. I've also never seen or worked on a divorce case where this is an issue, so I guess they have that going for them as well. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I haven't seen it.

I apologize for any redundancies - and although I live right in the thick of it, I'm still trying to process some of the relationsip issues - the whys and hows of the lifestyle.
    Last edited by J.D.; 05-23-2011 at 05:44 AM.

Thanks for your info on Mormons J.D. I am a little confused. Why were your kids left out of social events as you described above? I don't follow.

When I was a teen, I wanted to join the LDS church because of the Osmonds. I was a huge fan and thought it seemed like a great faith, since they were Mormon. I wanted to attend BYU too, but it didn't work out. I still respect the Osmonds though. I now have more questions about the church, but don't judge them.

Well, last night's episode was about more auto problems. I didn't catch whether they kept getting flats was because they picked up a nail or their tires were not good. I can't imagine going through that with so many kids on the road! How stressful! When he said they just went up the road and got a hotel room for the night,l I cringed. Even a cheap room for that many people would have cost them at least $500.00, plus another $500.00 for 3 tires. Spending that much money when you are all unemployed is pretty scary IMO.

I wonder if the good people of their hometown feel safer now that they are gone?

In Under the Banner of Heaven Jon Krakauer follows several fundamentalist Mormon sects and one thing he describes is the philosophy of getting as much government assistance as possible because they believe it's corrupt, so why not milk it for all you can? Whether or not you believe that, it does seem pretty clear that that a big flaw in polygamy is how one husband can provide for so many wives and children. Definitely in the groups he followed, they weren't able to sustain themselves without welfare.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Newbie

Last night I picked up a very different "vibe" about Janelle. She does not seem like herself. When Robyn was wailing on the red couch I swear Janelle wanted to smack her but maybe that's just my slanted view....?

The camera didn't show enough of Janelle to really know but she seems different.

About this move to Nevada...how did all four women agree to move to Nevada? I mean not one wife disagreed? Did they disagree in private but for the "sake of the tv show" agree to agree? Maybe it's the cynic in me but I am shocked all four women agreed to move to Nevada... ALL FOUR??? Did I miss an episode or something?

Quote Originally Posted by LovesSnowCO View Post
    Last night I picked up a very different "vibe" about Janelle. She does not seem like herself. When Robyn was wailing on the red couch I swear Janelle wanted to smack her but maybe that's just my slanted view....?

The camera didn't show enough of Janelle to really know but she seems different.

About this move to Nevada...how did all four women agree to move to Nevada? I mean not one wife disagreed? Did they disagree in private but for the "sake of the tv show" agree to agree? Maybe it's the cynic in me but I am shocked all four women agreed to move to Nevada... ALL FOUR??? Did I miss an episode or something?
    Yeah, Janelle did have a big turn around in her desire to move IMO. She seemed really stressed out. That is one reason I think his attorney must have given him the UNofficial word to get the heck out of town or else.

It was Wife number 3, her name slipped my mind, but she has the baby, who was the most opposed to moving. She finally got on board though. Kody made it clear, it was not open to a vote. He made the decision. I think that is one reason Kody wanted them to all go at once. I think it was scared that if left behind, some of them may not have followed.

And is is just me or does it seem like the daughter Kody has with Meri is pampered more than the other children? She is the only one to go to private school too. Maybe she has special needs we are not told about.

+ Reply to Thread