+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 177 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118168 ... LastLast
Like Tree694Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

I try to not judge people and make decisions for what is right or wrong morally for others. I do think the state has a vested, legal and moral obligation to protect children. I'm watching Sister Wives and still debating how I feel about it. Nothing is always as it looks on the surface. So if things with them is worse than it appears, my goodness. It is really stressful.

I think that one reason the state is concerned with these large families is the financial obligation the state may bear if the father cannot do it, for whatever reason, (death, disability, refusal,etc.). The overhead for all of them is huge.

Last night as they looked at those 4 houses, I was trying to calculate how much money just the mortgages or rent would be, especially with only 2 adults working full time. What kind of money are they bringing in? You then have healthcare, utilites, food, clothes, cars, insurance, taxes, tags, etc. The cost to support all of them must be out of this world. They must be relying heavily on the income from the reality show.

...They must be relying heavily on the income from the reality show.
    You betcha!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

Last night as they looked at those 4 houses, I was trying to calculate how much money just the mortgages or rent would be, especially with only 2 adults working full time. What kind of money are they bringing in? You then have healthcare, utilites, food, clothes, cars, insurance, taxes, tags, etc. The cost to support all of them must be out of this world. They must be relying heavily on the income from the reality show.
    That is what I was thinking. Relying on the show money. I (for some reason) got the impression that they just were willie nillie running around looking at houses (esp Kody) without a real clue as to how much they cost and what they will need in the line of income to afford these 4 houses. I realize LV has probably the worst housing market and homes prices are really low…..but to have gone all that way to Vegas, look at those brand new homes, dream about living in them as they walked through them, taking videos of them and then to find out that their offers were not accepted. If they have to move in 8 days where in the world are all of them going to go. They left Vegas without a 'back-up' plan if the offers were to fall through.
    At one point I heard Kody state that he wanted a place "where they could have more children". MORE, their 17th one is on the way.
    I was watching Meri's demeanor throughout the househunting they did and she appeared to be very subdued almost as if the 3 of them were looking at homes out of their price range. She barely said anything. She opened and closed doors while Robyn took video. Kody is saying this will be Christine's house…..I really think that Meri was wondering "how can we do this, how can we afford this" ….. JMHO. And she was the one that then stated at the close of the show "our offer was not accepted". And Kody crying.

The 80's party was allot of fun and the whole family had a blast pulling it together and surprising Meri!

Ohhh and I so liked seeing Kody do the dishes and calling to Dayton (Robyn's son) to load the dishwasher and Dayton saying he has done this in years BUT he joined right in and helped out w/o Robyn having to say a word to him!
    KAREN

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I'm curious if people here have a different opinion of polygamy after watching this show. I never thought about it much before, but now I see it like same-sex marriage: why shouldn't it be legal? This family is a lot less dysfunctional than supposed traditional families, and if Kody is allowed to legally have four wives that doesn't affect the rest of us. I'm just wondering why it's so taboo.
    I don't watch this show because, personally, I do not think that polygamy/polyamory is right, good or beneficial in the long run. This is based admittedly on personal taste and experience, and on what I consider common sense - look how hard it is to balance a relationship between two people. Every additional person you add to the mix compounds the complications and adds to the "dance."

But what little I've seen of this show - which is exceptionally little, mostly the last few minutes of an episode waiting for the next show to come on - I have to wonder if my observations and opinion are all that "right."

I do believe that same-sex marriage is not a bad thing, and should be legal. Of polygamy, I'm mostly against, but open to being shown my opinion can be very wrong.

So I'm also interested to see how people who do watch the show would answer Candor's questions.

Yeah, those houses would have probably at least a $2,000.00 -$4,000.00 monthy mortage/rent payment. Multiply that by 4! I just don't see how they can do it.

I guess they figured something out as we know they did move. I have an idea so they can live under one roof. They should check out buying a small hotel/motel. They would have lots of bedrooms and bathrooms and could remodel to provide more than one kitchen if need be. They can set the lobby up as one large living room. Plus, they would have a POOL! I'm really serious. It could work for the short term.

Oh and what about their current home….I am guessing Robyn's may have been a 'rental' but I would have figured their Utah home, they owned. There was no mention selling that home. AND their Utah home was quite unique. How could they afford that home (still paying that mortgage) and then purchase four new homes in Vegas?
    Now I thought I read that each adult was getting around $10,000.00 per show ($50,000 per epi) ….so SW money is a big plus. So if the show money was factored into Vegas….I curious why their offer was turned down.

Debb, "a small hotel" …. BUT I think you are on to something!

Ya, Kody just running like a 7yo to get that listing with the pool. Like I previously said, I believe they are all living in lala land sometimes. Not thinking things through. AND they have 16+ children to think about.
    KAREN

I really don't have an issue what people do in the privacy of their own homes. That is their business & I don't judge. Would I involve myself in a plural relationship...No...but then again I won't share shoes...sharing a man..never happen.

With plural marraiges, my issue is that women have been fighting for equality for centuries. IMHO plural marriage turns women into chatel. Again that is just my feeling. The bigger issue is that where something happen to the main breadwinner the state of Utah or Nevada will be picking-up the bill for a minimum of 15 kids.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I think that many religions subjugate women to men in the family structure, Christianity included. The Western Church's history as it relates to its regard for women is... well, offputting.

The idea of plural marriage (like the one we see on Sister Wives) being legal is fine with me. No one is being enslaved and it's entered into with a woman's free will.

I am not sure the same can be said of plural marriage everywhere else it is practiced in the US. So, I'm on the fence about it. However, I do not feel that such families should be discrimated against in any way - and that includes socially. Maybe especially socially.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You know, what I think is sad is that the women are mentally enslaved from the day that they are born.

I was raised/schooled Catholic, have sat in Baptist churches, and have learned to prefer to forge my own spiritual path. Much more satisfying for me. I've never really had that group/gang mentality, though.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    You know, what I think is sad is that the women are mentally enslaved from the day that they are born.

I was raised/schooled Catholic, have sat in Baptist churches, and have learned to prefer to forge my own spiritual path. Much more satisfying for me. I've never really had that group/gang mentality, though.
    I feel the same way, prhoshay! I was raised from age 9 in a very strict, Baptist home and church. I also attended a private, Christian jr and high school. We wore uniforms and many people mistook us for Catholics when we went on field trips. It was rather Duggar-like IMO. LOL It encouraged girls for only certain roles and boys for others. I considered it unfair.

Anyway, while I still believe that I am a spiritual person, orgainzed religion and some of the traditional teachings from the Baptists, are not for me. I was always a free spirit and independent minded. Personally, I can't even imagine sharing a man. It has an ick factor IMO that I just can't get by and then you have the emotional pain. Even they admit they constantly struggle with jealousy. Why put yourself through that? How can it be healthy to constantly convince yourself that you should not be jealous that your husband is loving on a sister wife? Deep down inside, I think that setup implies that the man is more important than the mulitple women in his life. Granted, we were taught that the Bible does teach that, so what do you do?

IMO the Mormon polygamist like the Browns are doing this for religious reasons. I won't pretend to tell others what is okay to do in the name of their religious faith, as long as the children are not being harmed. I find that I do like the Browns. I don't think it helps anyone to treat them poorly.

+ Reply to Thread