+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 173 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117167 ... LastLast
Like Tree653Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I'm guessing wives number 2, 3, and 4 have to file as single heads of households, as all single moms do.
    Which would amount to SIGNIFICANT tax breaks, credits, refunds, etc. In other words, the rest of us are supplementing their income.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I'm guessing wives number 2, 3, and 4 have to file as single heads of households, as all single moms do.
    Hmmm you think Kidy's ego would allow that? I thought the male was always considered the head of the household, for the lack of better phrasing, in these types of relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Hmmm you think Kidy's ego would allow that? I thought the male was always considered the head of the household, for the lack of better phrasing, in these types of relationships.
    Unfortunately, there are different definitions for different situations. I'm willing to agree that there are tax breaks for the other moms to be found by filing head of household, since they are technically "unmarried parents" and, the other moms can be "head of household" for several different kinds of social service programs, from medical to food, even if the father in the home is the "head of household" in fact.
    "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."
    Joseph Brodsky: (1940-1996) Russian-US poet

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

I would imagine that due to their situation, they are very careful to follow all tax laws to the letter. If how you file and what you claim is legal, then I don't have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I would imagine that due to their situation, they are very careful to follow all tax laws to the letter. If how you file and what you claim is legal, then I don't have a problem with it.
    AND if Janelle is the one doing all the paperwork and meeting with tax accountants, I am so sure they do exactly that "follow all the tax laws to the letter". She seems very organized and very 'on top of things'.
    KAREN

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I'd be willing to bet they have a good professional tax planner. There are some very lucrative legal "loopholes" for taxpayers with of a lot of dependents.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

if their marriage was considered legal, then they wouldn't be filing separate.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Your dependents have nothing to do with legal marriage. Fifteen kids are fifteen tax deductions whether you are married or not. I highly doubt that Kody files a joint return with anyone but Meri, his legal wife.

Although legally married, I file separately from my husband. I get a better return.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I know a bunch of legally married folk who file separately for the better return (I did). Being married doesn't help your tax situation much. As for dependents either parent can claim them. Lots of divorced/never married parents will alternate years on which they claim the children. I would guess they sit and look at how to maximize the children or have sat down and looked at that.

I'm curious if people here have a different opinion of polygamy after watching this show. I never thought about it much before, but now I see it like same-sex marriage: why shouldn't it be legal? This family is a lot less dysfunctional than supposed traditional families, and if Kody is allowed to legally have four wives that doesn't affect the rest of us. I'm just wondering why it's so taboo.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread