+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 178 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree695Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4072562;
    There is a 4th wife now. The show is depicting their "courtship" of her now.
    How touching! I was confused because in the add she is a brunette and the clip I saw of them on the news she is now blonde.... guess he likes blondes....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4072581;
    How touching! I was confused because in the add she is a brunette and the clip I saw of them on the news she is now blonde.... guess he likes blondes....
    Really, you mean the new wife-to-be that has dark brown hair as we saw in the previews on Sunday night is now BLONDE???
    KAREN

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harleyswife;4072386;
    I think religion in itself is rediculous. But Polygamy is definately the most rediculous. It was dreamed up by a man that got caught having multiple affairs and to cover his ass, he came up with this nonsense that "god" came to him and told him to start this "religion". It's nothing more than a "cult".
    Your point about religion is well taken. It's a hot button, too, so it would seem a bad place to take this thread. The history of polygamy through the ages has been touched upon earlier here and I have nothing to add to it, except to say that it is still quite legal in 50 countries. It's a tried and true social construct in other societies. Not here, though.

Which brings me in a roundabout way to my point. I find this family's exposing themselves to commentary and prosecution quite interesting. I have been a fan of Big Love and that series mirrors, fictionally, the issues that Sister Wives is trying to raise: that love between consenting adults is not the business of the state - barring child abuse and tax evasion, and other violations of the law. I can look back 30 years and remember that gay couples fought this same battle, and are still fighting it. Interracial couples faced the same legal barriers. I find this element of the show thought provoking, and will continue to watch it.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 09-29-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Okay I just don't get this at all, the husband sharing thing. I won't share my clothes with anyone so I am sorry but I can not fanthom sharing my husband with another woman. Not that I have a husband (thank you GOD) but I'm just sayin!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;4072701;
    Okay I just don't get this at all, the husband sharing thing. I won't share my clothes with anyone so I am sorry but I can not fanthom sharing my husband with another woman. Not that I have a husband (thank you GOD) but I'm just sayin!

Too funny Snow Bunny! I know what mean. My man and I have lived together 8 years. No need to marry...but not sharing him either. If he wants someone else, so be it. He'll just have to find another roof to live under.

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;4072626;
    Really, you mean the new wife-to-be that has dark brown hair as we saw in the previews on Sunday night is now BLONDE???
    It looked alot lighter to me!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harleyswife;4072386;
    I think religion in itself is rediculous. But Polygamy is definately the most rediculous. It was dreamed up by a man that got caught having multiple affairs and to cover his ass, he came up with this nonsense that "god" came to him and told him to start this "religion". It's nothing more than a "cult".
    I don't think all religion is ridiculous, but I definitely think that this is a case of religion being used for man's gain. Polygamy should not be glamorized as an "alternative lifestyle". It is abusive towards women and children and should be prosecuted as strongly as the law allows. This guy touting around these wives on television and saying that he can get away with it because he didn't legally marry the others is not good enough. I hope they prosecute him. I'm sure there are other "loopholes" he is taking advantage of in his taxes and possibly government aid. I hope the government gives him the financial equivalent of a full body cavity search to find his other dirty secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4072562;
    There is a 4th wife now. The show is depicting their "courtship" of her now.
    Wow!! That just leaves me speechless and I'm not even considering religious or moral aspects! I'm just amazed that the other women don't care about this happening or if they do, it doesn't matter.

Personally, I don't care what anyone does in their bedroom, whether it's demeaning to women or any of that. It's their choice if they go along with that kind of relationship but I hate that children are involved. No matter what the outcome, some kids will be hurt by this situation, somehow, someway.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4071674;
    The principle of plural marriage was dropped as doctrine because of political reasons. It was necessary for the survival of their church and, some would argue, the granting of statehood to Utah. When these parents say they are "fundamentalists," I think they mean that they still hold fast to the belief that "The Principle" is divine revelation. Their children are free to choose whether or not they will live as adults in that particular way.

I think that all people of faith realize that mature faith is based on an individual decision and a commitment at some point in the lives of their children. We hope they commit themselves to the faith we have raised them in. But the "choice" is necessary. Without it, they are just spouting and parroting what they were taught. With it, they choose and truly embrace a spiritual path.

Our oldest son is a devout member of the Society of Friends. Our yougest is a devout Bhuddist. Neither chose the faith they were reared in. Both are happy in their choices.
    I did a semester long report on polygamy in a research class and it has been throughout history and is still practiced in many cultures, but is not currently allowed by the LDS church. If a member of the LDS church practices polygamy they are not allowed to continue to be a member of the LDS church.

In several cultures, the LDS culture included, it was practiced at a time when there were more men than women, women needed a man to help support them and it was not culturally acceptable for women to have children outside of marriage. In most cultures polygamy is/was only praticed in a small portion of the population, in the case of the LDS it was less than 2% of the population and very few of those had more than 2 wives. Interestingly the 2 wives were often sisters, the one sister who married first not wanting to see her sister live her life alone and childless.

Polyandry, having more than one husband, seems the way to go to me though lol Having many men who will support the children of one woman and none of whom knows who the actual father of the child is, so each treats them as his own. This was often practiced with brothers all marrying the same woman so as to keep the farm land all in one piece and in the family.

Personally I have no problem with this as long as the wives are adult and fully informed. At least the man is taking responsibility and there for all his children, unlike those that practice serial polygamy, marrying and divorcing or impregnating and abandoning women.

FLDS and similar polygamy groups are another story entirely and need to be stopped. The children are allowed no contact with the outside world, don't understand there are other choices and have no choice in what happens to them.

I have to agree with those who say this guy creeps them out, but these women seem to have made an informed adult decision and I think they should be free to live as they choose.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 09-30-2010 at 04:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread