+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 176 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105155 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    . . . In any event, the show repeats allot throughout the week if anyone wants to see it again.
    Looks like it will be on again on Wednesday night and Thursday night, and will then be repeated before the new episode on Sunday.

I did find a blog where the writer had the same impression that I did - that the comment was in response to a question about the polygamous lifestyle itself, NOT the "coming out" about it. I'll have to try to remember to watch it again just to confirm what they meant.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Looks like it will be on again on Wednesday night and Thursday night, and will then be repeated before the new episode on Sunday.

I did find a blog where the writer had the same impression that I did - that the comment was in response to a question about the polygamous lifestyle itself, NOT the "coming out" about it. I'll have to try to remember to watch it again just to confirm what they meant.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm a little confused. I didn't see all of the episodes last season, so maybe that's why I don't understand the time line from last night. Was last night a rerun from last season? It had Robin and he already being maried, but then showed them going to NBC to announce openly about their family for the first time or that is what Kody said. Why would they be doing that for the first time since they were on national tv all of last season which included their marriage reception?

Please chime in for any who know. The kids were going to the public schools for the first time, except, Merri's daughter who goes to private school. It looked like they were still living in Utah. The previews showed them moving from Utah.

It showed them in a recent trip to central park and to the Joy Behar show, which I saw last week, so that part seems current. I'm trying to understand the sequence of events.
    To my understanding this was shot after the first season, but while the first season was airing (right before it started) and thus that's why they showed all the footage of their first tv appearances, etc.

Also, it is my understanding that they were responding to coming out and not to being in a polygamous marriage.

I am wondering if this whole season is going to be about the backlash from season one?
    They were rehashing everything about coming out as a polygamist family that we already know. I saw them on Oprah and read stories about them in magazines, etc...
    In season one I was intrigued to see what their lives were like because nothing like that had ever been on TV before. So if this season is going to be like last night I don't think I'll keep watching.

Yeah, they were responding to the "Coming out" part.

I watch Big Love and have always wanted to see what THIS show was about so I recorded and watched the marathon yesterday.

Not going to judge but wow and damn! There is no way I could share my husband especially with a girlfriend. Driving 4-5 hours to see her? I don't think so. Did Kody pay for her move and her rent even before they got married?

The whole he picked the dress bomb!! That was just bad. They kept talking about honesty and trust yet Robin said she didn't intend for the sister wives to find out.

Sorry I am jumping all over.

Kody's quote in the intro about how love should be multiplied not divided. Isn't he dividing his love/time with each woman and the kids.

I am glad they said they were jealous cause there is no way you couldn't be even if it is what you signed up for.

I don't know. I'll keep watching.

I haven't gotten to watch the new episode yet but I do agree with those who have wondered why the women do this. To me, the women and children on this show seem very nice and likable. Kody, not so much. I might even be able to some way in the abstract understand this lifestyle if the people involved truly had some deep religious beliefs that guided it, even if I didn't understand those beliefs myself. Yet with Kody, there does not seem to be any of that or at least he doesn't really focus on that on the show, and he seems like an extraordinarily selfish person who is fairly incapable of understanding anyone's needs but his own. I do get that the wives have been brought up in this lifestyle but I can't help but wish they would ask "Why? What is the purpose of living this way?" I just wish they would believe or know or hope that they deserve and could have someone all their own to love and be loved back in return by that one person. That being said, those are my beliefs and hopes, and they have the right to live how they choose to. Again, I really like them all except Kody whose ass I would like to kick.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

From what I understand, they are there to "showcase" their lifestyle, not their religion, although it seems to me that they two go hand in hand. I was speaking with my polygog escapee friend just this morning about this - about why the Browns left Utah. She said they are running from the law. I don't understand this (and many others here in Utah don't), because I don't understand how they are breaking the law. None of the families are on public assistance, and the only legal marriage is between Kody and Meri. The others are spiritual marriages. My friend says the State of Utah would like to make an example of Kody and his wives using the common law marriage rules. I'm not sure that's going to be a valid case, but we shall see, I guess. I'm interested in that aspect of the show, but most of it does nothing for me. And Kody, Kody, Kody - just stop. Really, it's time to go away now.

I posted a conversation with a more detailed explanation previously if you'd like to read my friend's version. She was raised in the polygamous community, her family are polygamists, but she ran away as a teen - she wanted no part of it. She has since made peace with her family and visits them, but she has one husband, he has only one wife, and together they have three kids. She is and was very close friends with the first three wives, they grew up together.
    Last edited by J.D.; 03-15-2011 at 04:47 PM.

See that is the odd part to me- aside from it coming from a genuine religious belief (whether I agree with it or not), what possible reason or justification could be made for polygamy as a lifestyle? It is very baffling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityRealmer View Post
    See that is the odd part to me- aside from it coming from a genuine religious belief (whether I agree with it or not), what possible reason or justification could be made for polygamy as a lifestyle? It is very baffling to me.
    Perhaps a Mormon could answer this better, but I did almost become a Mormon once, the regular LDS not polygamist. Anyway, it has to do with having many family members, children, in the afterlife. Something about men becoming Gods, based on how large their family is. I'm sure I don't have this exactly right, but please jump in and explain if you know. I do recall reading about this. They also believe there are spirit babies waiting to be born and that's why you need to help bring them into this world. I'll see if I can find a link.

Here's one link:
    http://www.mormonwiki.com/Pre-Mortal_Life
    Last edited by Debb70; 03-15-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Yes but those are religious beliefs- I am talking about what reasons OTHER than religious could there possibly be to justify the lifestyle. The Browns don't really talk about their religious beliefs much so I find that baffling, because to me what else other than religious beliefs would cause people to want to live this way. Sorry I may not be making any sense lol

+ Reply to Thread