+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 172 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree633Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

FORT Fogey

Re: Sister Wives

Utah will recognize a common-law marriage if the parties get a judicial decree to the effect a common law marriage exists or existed between them.
    Utah’s bigamy statute:

A person is guilty of bigamy when, knowing he has a husband or wife or knowing the other person has a husband or wife, the person purports to marry another person or cohabits with another person. ...

Utah Code: 76-7-101
    Kody & Co. are on record confirming they've cohabitated for 16 years. I'm not an expert on Utah legal procedures, but I think those who are pursuing this matter do know the state laws.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

It isn't only Mormons who practice polygyny (polygamy being the broader term that also includes polyandry, mentioned above). It's actually quite common outside the "Western" world. Polyandry is a lot rarer, but certainly occurs. I seem to recall from a long ago anthro class that it is often associated with life in very tough circumstances... subsistence farming in poor soil kinds of lives...where it may take several men to support one woman's children....and frequently involves being married to several brothers...so all the kids are (from the male viewpoint) either your sons/daughters or your nephews/nieces. Of course that's not to say the marriage pattern suddenly changes when the environmental circumstances do, but that those are the kinds of circumstances associated with its origins.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

This story is all over radio and television news today. Several investigations have begun regarding this family and the issue in general.

It has just been reported on a local news station that prosecution for bigamy and polygamy is especially tough to prosecute for many reasons, including religious freedom. Prosecution is usually only initiated in cases involving the marriage of underage children and other more serious crimes. Even people like Warren Jeffs wasn't successfully prosecuted for polygamy. I doubt Kody & Co. (I love that nick-name, btw) will be prosecuted for anything at all, and any investigation will be for appearances only. IMO, of course.

Why the investigations are only starting now should surprise me, but it doesn't. These people do not live in secrecy. It is widely known where the polygamist communities and neighborhoods are. They are usually left alone since they appear to be productive and financially successful (i.e., not living on public funds). If it hasn't been discussed already, Kody Brown is an advertising salesman.

I'm sure if the IRS hasn't already looked into these families, they will be involved soon. Like today.

And while it's an interesting story, I don't think I'm interested enough in this goofy family enough to watch them again.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

There is no way I will watch this "family" in action. It is an obvious agenda to promote a lifestyle that is degrading to women and children. These women are not pod-people. They have the same emotions and feelings that we have, and they are trying to say that they don't. Nobody should have to share their spouse. A woman should be able to be the only one in her husband's life. She should be cherished and secure, knowing that they have a unique bond. Her daughters should not have to grow up knowing that she will have to share a husband too. It devalues women. It's so very sad.

I have read many books and accounts of women who have left polygamy and they say that there is tons of competitiveness and jealousy between the wives. Of course there is! Those are normal human emotions.

Also, when the first wife is the legal wife, then the others are less and everyone knows that inside. The children of the other wives are illegitimate, and I'm sure that comes up in the meanness of kids sometimes.

I'm so glad that these people are being investigated for this. I truly hope he goes to jail and the practice of polygamy is hurt, not helped, by this show. We, as a society, should not put up with this and act as if it is just another "alternative lifestyle", because it is not. It is a destructive lifestyle to innocent women and children who are being exploited and manipulated by religious beliefs that were started by some unsavory men who were simply out to get all of the sexual partners that they could and used "God" as an excuse to enslave women. It's really disgusting.

FORT Fogey

I doubt Kody & Co. (I love that nick-name, btw) will be prosecuted for anything at all, and any investigation will be for appearances only.
    JD, you may be right.

The Utah attorney general's office has investigated the state's secretive polygamous communities, but focused its efforts on cases involving allegations of abuse, sexual assault and fraud, not bigamy.

"It has been our office's position not to pursue cases of bigamy between consenting adults," the attorney general's spokesman, Scott Troxel, said Tuesday. "We want to use our resources wisely."
    Utah police investigate plural family for bigamy - Yahoo! News

Also from the article:

Utah last prosecuted a polygamist for bigamy in 2001. Tom Green, who was married to five women and drew the attention of Utah authorities after promoting his lifestyle on national TV talk shows, was convicted on bigamy, criminal nonsupport and child rape charges. He spent six years in prison and was released in 2007.
    So unless the investigation uncovers other crimes, like tax evasion, fraudulent use of the welfare system, etc., Kody probably won't be prosecuted for bigamy alone. It's an election year and these people are flaunting their lifestyle on national TV, so the least local authorities can do is go through the motions of taking some type of action.

We, as a society, should not put up with this and act as if it is just another "alternative lifestyle", because it is not. It is a destructive lifestyle to innocent women and children who are being exploited and manipulated by religious beliefs that were started by some unsavory men who were simply out to get all of the sexual partners that they could and used "God" as an excuse to enslave women. It's really disgusting.
    Well said, maude flanders.

I watched the episode, and was surprised to find myself not that offended (for lack of a better word) by how their household ran, at least among the first three sister-wives. It seemed very strange to imagine those four adults in their relationship together early on before children, but I could see the positive points of how things work now and how each woman both contributes and benefits to a degree from the situation. I'll never understand "the lifestyle", but I can sort of understand how a woman who is brought up in it may desire it for herself. For me, the most heartbreaking aspect showed itself when Wife#1 mentioned struggling with jealousy and knowing she must try to work on that... just the thought of these women going through such normal feelings, but yet thinking it is some kind of fault or weakness in their character or their spiritual growth, is so sad.
    remember to play

I think religion in itself is rediculous. But Polygamy is definately the most rediculous. It was dreamed up by a man that got caught having multiple affairs and to cover his ass, he came up with this nonsense that "god" came to him and told him to start this "religion". It's nothing more than a "cult".

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;4072150;
    For me, the most heartbreaking aspect showed itself when Wife#1 mentioned struggling with jealousy and knowing she must try to work on that... just the thought of these women going through such normal feelings, but yet thinking it is some kind of fault or weakness in their character or their spiritual growth, is so sad.
    Sorry to shorten your post but wanted to address this point. I had never thought of it in that way and you're so right. How sad that she feels that she is the one doing wrong for feeling a perfectly natural response. That's just not right. :nono

The news said he has 4 wives, so has he married a new one recently? And the promo for next week shows him dating.....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4072551;
    The news said he has 4 wives, so has he married a new one recently? And the promo for next week shows him dating.....
    There is a 4th wife now. The show is depicting their "courtship" of her now.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread