+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 178 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797147 ... LastLast
Like Tree696Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

Not all of the wives were brought up with polygamy, and even those that were were exposed to the normal American culture and were free to not choose it so indoctrination doesn't really seem to fit in this case. Some of the polygamists are cultish with no access to outside information, no contact with the world outside of the cult. Those are the ones who marry the young girls, kick out the boys etc. but I don't see that being the case here at all.

Those cults also believe a man MUST be polygamous, but I don't think we've heard if that's what this group believes or not. In most cultures that practice polygamy it is a choice not a MUST and a low percentage actually practice it. When the Mormon church practiced it less than 2% of the population actually were involved in polygamous marriages. I can't remember the exact statistics for other cultures where it's practiced but it was about the same.

As I did my research I discovered that polygamy is not the picnic for men that some think it is and many men given the option don't choose it. That said I reiterate that I find Kody creepy and sceezy, but I don't think that means all men who choose to live polygamy in cultures where it is accepted choose it for lecherous and/or selfish reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4119246;
    TheDragonLady, have you ever watched the HBO series Big Love? That show does a great job of showing what that life is like IMO. Having watched that show from day one and watched Sister Wives, I think the show is a very accurate depiction of real life in that lifestyle. It's isn't a walk in the park.
    No, I never did watch that show for the very same reason I can't watch this show. It's not that I'm against it due to morals or religion, it's because just based on human behavior and instincts, I can't see how this can result in a happy relationship. Even though, I'm sure a lot of them would call their marriage happy. I can really only speak for myself and I would hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4119729;
    No, I never did watch that show for the very same reason I can't watch this show. It's not that I'm against it due to morals or religion, it's because just based on human behavior and instincts, I can't see how this can result in a happy relationship. Even though, I'm sure a lot of them would call their marriage happy. I can really only speak for myself and I would hate it.

If you watch Big Love, you'll see that those wives are many things, but I wouldn't call them happy! LOL You have to see it to know what I mean. The new season comes on soon, but it would probably be helpful if you watched some of the older seasons so you have basic knowledge of who everyone is.

The show is so funny, bizarre and heart wretching, that you don't have much time to get upset with the husband. He's usually being pulled every which way you can imagine. His wives can be quite sneaky and end up putting him in bad situations. The show's executive producer is Tom Hanks. He lived in Utah for awhile gowing up. I guess that's what gave him the idea.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4121225;
    If you watch Big Love, you'll see that those wives are many things, but I wouldn't call them happy! LOL You have to see it to know what I mean. The new season comes on soon, but it would probably be helpful if you watched some of the older seasons so you have basic knowledge of who everyone is.

The show is so funny, bizarre and heart wretching, that you don't have much time to get upset with the husband. He's usually being pulled every which way you can imagine. His wives can be quite sneaky and end up putting him in bad situations. The show's executive producer is Tom Hanks. He lived in Utah for awhile gowing up. I guess that's what gave him the idea.
    This is Big Love's last season and I will miss it. I've watched it from the beginning, too, and have come to really love a couple of the characters. They are all flawed, but all very loving. My favorite one is Nicky, the wife who grew up on a compound and learned, somehow, to fit in (more or less).

Many of their conflicts are mirrored, or implied, on Sister Wives. I don't think I would have been interested in seeing "real life" plural marriage without having seen, and tried to understand, the relationships depicted on Big Love.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4121225;

Now I'm intrigued. although the last thing I need is another tv show to record and watch! I feel guilty as it is right now, especially with all the trashy reality I watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4121251;
    This is Big Love's last season and I will miss it. I've watched it from the beginning, too, and have come to really love a couple of the characters. They are all flawed, but all very loving. My favorite one is Nicky, the wife who grew up on a compound and learned, somehow, to fit in (more or less).

Many of their conflicts are mirrored, or implied, on Sister Wives. I don't think I would have been interested in seeing "real life" plural marriage without having seen, and tried to understand, the relationships depicted on Big Love.

REF. Big Love
    Niki is my favorite too. I just love the actor and the character. I always root for her no matter what scheme she is into. LOL

I also love Lois! She cracks me up. She even makes me laugh when she's trying to kill someone. That's pretty rare. LOL

DragonLady, Big Love is quality tv IMO. It is well written and acted. It is far from trash tv. There may have been one curse word on the show ever. There is no drinking or smoking. It's very tame. I think my parents would approve, except for the polygamy thing. The thing is that it shows polygamy with warts and all. I wouldn't say that it paints it in a very good light. It is about love of family, but it shows how much you suffer when in a plural marriage. At least that is what I taken from it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I took a quiz that said I was the most like Nicki! Great! I think she's ultra-neurotic.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4121776;
    I took a quiz that said I was the most like Nicki! Great! I think she's ultra-neurotic.
    That means you're crazy and loveable, pro.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Thanks! I guess I resemble that remark.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4121760;
    REF. Big Love
    Niki is my favorite too. I just love the actor and the character. I always root for her no matter what scheme she is into. LOL

I also love Lois! She cracks me up. She even makes me laugh when she's trying to kill someone. That's pretty rare. LOL

DragonLady, Big Love is quality tv IMO. It is well written and acted. It is far from trash tv. There may have been one curse word on the show ever. There is no drinking or smoking. It's very tame. I think my parents would approve, except for the polygamy thing. The thing is that it shows polygamy with warts and all. I wouldn't say that it paints it in a very good light. It is about love of family, but it shows how much you suffer when in a plural marriage. At least that is what I taken from it.
    Yes! Lois is hilarious, love her! And her husband, Frank, who is Bill's dad (played by the inimitable Bruce Dern). They are perfect foils for each other.

+ Reply to Thread