+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 171 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696146 ... LastLast
Like Tree631Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4117723;
    They may have contracts regarding the ownership and potential division of property, but any contract between any of them to be married is unenforceable as contracts to do something that is illegal are non-binding. For example, you can't legally enforce a contract by the courts if you contend someone breached a contract to rob a bank or sell drugs.

I guess technically, the women except for Meri could get married to one other woman if they went to a state that allows same sex marriages, but I don't think Utah does that yet.
    I wasn't suggesting that these contracts are pre-nups.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I doubt any of these people are sophisticated enough to realize the necessity of some sort of property agreement or other ownership matters. They are convinced they are in it for Kody, but it's obvious he isn't out to do any of them any favors - other than allowing them to bear his children, of course.

It's really hard for me to understand how these people (Kody and clan) are so popular here. Everywhere they go, they are followed by gaggles of groupies. I mean....I get that they are on tv and such, and people want to stare, but why all the positive treatment from the locals? Are they watching the same show that I am? (Sure I watch the trainwreck of a show, but I wouldn't cross the street to meet any of them.)

I don't know if it was mentioned above, but the reason polygamy is illegal in Utah has nothing to do with religion. The only way Utah was able to obtain statehood was to abolish plural marriage. It's strictly political. Otherwise, I'd probably be sharing this laptop with my sister-wives and our collective children. Ugh.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4117723;
    They may have contracts regarding the ownership and potential division of property, but any contract between any of them to be married is unenforceable as contracts to do something that is illegal are non-binding. For example, you can't legally enforce a contract by the courts if you contend someone breached a contract to rob a bank or sell drugs.

I guess technically, the women except for Meri could get married to one other woman if they went to a state that allows same sex marriages, but I don't think Utah does that yet.
    I wonder if there's a third alternative -- like a "Marvin v Marvin" type of "partnership" agreement like California has, where two people who are living together but not married are essentially considered partners, and can have a partnership-type agreement as to how to divvy the assets if they break up. Then, Utah would have to stretch the concept to two or more people living together. . . not likely, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;4118475;
    I wonder if there's a third alternative -- like a "Marvin v Marvin" type of "partnership" agreement like California has, where two people who are living together but not married are essentially considered partners, and can have a partnership-type agreement as to how to divvy the assets if they break up. Then, Utah would have to stretch the concept to two or more people living together. . . not likely, huh?
    Oh yes, they can contract as to how property will be divided. Most states allow that, but it can not be contingent upon them being married to each other. If marriage was the basis, as stated in the agreement, then I would fear the agreement would be voidable.

It's a good idea for anyone living together and owning property together, even platonic roommates to have a written agreement.

You've heard the saying. "The person you marry is never the person you divorce." People change when the relationship ends. You may have married a nice, fair, reasonable person, but when you split, you often find you are married to a bitter, cold, greedy, unreasonable person. LOL

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4118439;
    I don't know if it was mentioned above, but the reason polygamy is illegal in Utah has nothing to do with religion. The only way Utah was able to obtain statehood was to abolish plural marriage. It's strictly political. Otherwise, I'd probably be sharing this laptop with my sister-wives and our collective children. Ugh.
    Now I'm curious... would you actually enter into a polygamous marriage if it wasn't illegal (and I gather from your quote above that you wouldn't... but do you think it's the familiarity that would make it a more acceptable option?)

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by barbh;4118602;
    Now I'm curious... would you actually enter into a polygamous marriage if it wasn't illegal (and I gather from your quote above that you wouldn't... but do you think it's the familiarity that would make it a more acceptable option?)
    No, it's not a lifestyle I would choose, but I was raised Mormon and still live surrounded by them. (I'm still on the books, but do not practice the religion.) I think the fact that I'm more comfortable with these families living nearby than even others in this thread shows how the familiarity would make it a more acceptable option. Although I have a hard time accepting that it's an "option" at all.

For instance, I think Meri has about had it with the whole thing. In a "normal" family, I'd think she'd be long gone. But there are many unique factors of the relationships that keep her there - these ladies have been indoctrinated into this lifestyle. While they talk about it being an option for them, I don't see that. And I think that's why Meri (among others) has stayed. She sees no other option. I don't see any love between Kody and any of the wives, even the newbie - why opt for that?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hope this doesn't offend....I see some people as willing/accepting of being led, and others willing to take advantage of that.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

My sister worked for the Department of State, and as a result, met people from all over, including men from countries where polygamy is accepted for the royalty/nobility... I think it's pretty interesting how some places do have a legalized form of polygamy, even if it's still fairly restricted. But I also think Prhoshay has it right... Most of the people in these marriages are also in very paternalistic societies.

I can't really watch this show because I feel so much anger and hostility towards Kody. On one hand, I feel he's taking advantage of these women and I start to feel sorry for them. Then I remember that they're adults and entered into this agreement, knowing exactly what they were getting so they're really not "victims."
    I'm sure being indoctrinated in the lifestyle contributes to them entering into it but is it possible that some/all may feel this is the only option they would have had? I don't know the background story as to how old the women were when they hooked up w/Kody and wonder if they worried they wouldn't get another chance to be married and have babies...babies, being the number one desire for them. Maybe this was the only boyfriend they ever had?

The whole thing makes me sad and angry and that's not even considering the possible negative ramifications on the children. But I must admit that without this show, I never would have even thought about all that was involved in polygamy. Definitely and eye-opener.

TheDragonLady, have you ever watched the HBO series Big Love? That show does a great job of showing what that life is like IMO. Having watched that show from day one and watched Sister Wives, I think the show is a very accurate depiction of real life in that lifestyle. It's isn't a walk in the park.

In Big Love, it shows just how stressful it can be on a husband to keep each wife happy and devote time to each kid. It makes me wonder why any man would want to take it on. The guy in Big Love was under so much stress that he started having anxiety and impotence from the stress. He had to go on medication. I like the husband, Bill, on Big Love better than Kody. Of course, Bill has a big ego too.

+ Reply to Thread