+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 165 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 1644
Like Tree560Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

  1. #31
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,586

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by Annastasia B;4071767;
    I just read on CNN that the family is under investigation for bigamy. Not sure how that works since he's technically married to only one of the wives.
    SO much for getting that out in the open. The poor kids!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  2. #32
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Sister Wives

    "At the conclusion of the investigation, the evidence will be forwarded to the Utah County Attorney's Office for review and possible prosecution," says Lt. Darren Paul.

    Police acknowledged that publicity over the show's announcement prompted the case. Bigamy is a third-degree felony in Utah but is rarely investigated.
    Police investigating 'Sister Wives' stars for felony bigamy - CNN.com

    This is the Lehi, Utah police department's investigation - the local cops. I don't think that the cast of the show has much to worry about.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 09-28-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  3. #33
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4071791;
    SO much for getting that out in the open. The poor kids!
    I don't think the kids have much to contend with either, over this. The student body of their school is comprised almost entirely of children of polygamists.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  4. #34
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,586

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4071802;
    I don't think the kids have much to contend with either, over this. The student body of their school is comprised almost entirely of children of polygamists.
    I still wonder why this is able to continue to go on in this country. Granted, it has a to do with not being legally married, so in all honesty, its not bigamy.... so, well, it goes on..... I am still waiting for the woman who will have 3 husbands!!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  5. #35
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4071808;
    I still wonder why this is able to continue to go on in this country. Granted, it has a to do with not being legally married, so in all honesty, its not bigamy.... so, well, it goes on..... I am still waiting for the woman who will have 3 husbands!!
    Me, too! When a woman has more than one husband, it's called "polyandry." It's been practiced in other cultures throughout history.

    Either way, it sounds exhausiting to me.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  6. #36
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    968

    Re: Sister Wives

    I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of this show. I don't care if these people are practicing "FLDS light", without the intensity of the Jeffs cult. The larger issue for me is that TLC is presenting families involved in fringe movements like FLDS and Quiverfull (Duggars) as family entertainment. How much of what we're shown is true and how much is patched together with editing is anyone's guess. Both of these movements involve the exploitation of girls/women, and presenting them as almost normal is far from reality.

    I do wonder about TLC's agenda. If this is supposed to be about "learning," they need to provide the details of both movements in order to provide a balanced story to their audience. An excellent book, "God's Brothel," was written several years ago by a Salt Lake City journalist who also produced a 2-hour documentary on polygamy for ABC. In the book she interviews 18 women who escaped from polygamous marriages. Some were involved in cults, but others were in indepedent families. Their stories indicate a very different kind of reality that deserves the same coverage by TLC as given to Kody & Co.

    According to these news reports, Kody and his sister wives are facing some real reality from the state of Utah, where an investigation has been launched.

    "Sister Wives" program could lead to legal trouble - ABC 4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

    Police probe ‚€˜Sister Wives‚€™ stars for bigamy | The Salt Lake Tribune

    According to the SLC Tribune article, "Utah code defines bigamy through cohabitation, not just through legal marriage contracts." (In Utah, bigamy is a 3rd-degree felony). Utah recognizes common law marriage, and Kody claims he's been "married" to his first 3 wives for 16 years, having children with each of them, so it wouldn't be difficult for a court to find that a common law marriage exists.

    TLC claims not to have known about the investigation and had no comment for the Tribune reporter. I have to wonder why TLC would not have been prepared for this obvious consequence of airing the show.
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 09-28-2010 at 02:14 PM.

  7. #37
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4071819;
    I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of this show. I don't care if these people are practicing "FLDS light", without the intensity of the Jeffs cult. The larger issue for me is that TLC is presenting families involved in fringe movements like FLDS and Quiverfull (Duggars) as family entertainment. How much of what we're shown is true and how much is patched together with editing is anyone's guess. Both of these movements involve the exploitation of girls/women, and presenting them as almost normal is far from reality.

    I do wonder about TLC's agenda. If this is supposed to be about "learning," they need to provide the details of both movements in order to provide a balanced story to their audience. An excellent book, "God's Brothel," was written several years ago by a Salt Lake City journalist who also produced a 2-hour documentary on polygamy for ABC. In the book she interviews 18 women who escaped from polygamous marriages. Some were involved in cults, but others were in indepedent families. Their stories indicate a very different kind of reality that deserve the same coverage TLC has given Kody & Co.

    According to these news reports, Kody and his sister wives are facing some real reality from the state of Utah, where an investigation has been launched.

    Police probe ‚€˜Sister Wives‚€™ stars for bigamy | The Salt Lake Tribune

    Police probe ‚€˜Sister Wives‚€™ stars for bigamy | The Salt Lake Tribune

    According to the SLC Tribune article, "Utah code defines bigamy through cohabitation, not just through legal marriage contracts." (In Utah, bigamy is a 3rd-degree felony). Utah recognizes common law marriage, and Kody claims he's been "married" to his first 3 wives for 16 years, having children with each of them, so it wouldn't be difficult for a court to find that a common law marriage exists.

    TLC claims not to have known about the investigation and had no comment for the Tribune reporter. I have to wonder why TLC would not have been prepared for this obvious consequence of airing the show.
    Actually, courts do not impose the status of "common law" marriage on people. People ask the court to recognize it when seeking the rights of married partners.

    As to prosecuting people for cohabitation? It will not happen. Not even in Utah.

    By the way, the posted URLs are reprints of the same article below. A local police department decided to "investigate." It will forward it's findings to the state AG. Who will promptly place it in the circular file. Unless he/she is willing to try 40-60 thousand other people in Utah who cohabitate under the same circumstances. And lose.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 09-28-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  8. #38
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    968

    Re: Sister Wives

    By the way, the posted URLs are reprints of the same article below.
    Oops, I've corrected my post to delete the duplication and include the ABC4 article.

    courts do not impose the status of "common law" marriage on people. People ask the court to recognize it when seeking the rights of married partners.
    True, the existence of a common law marriage is not imposed, it's a finding of the court based on the evidence presented. That evidence can be presented in the course of legal action by an individual seeking rights, or by authorities pursuing legal action in a bigamy case in Utah, since that state recognizes both cohabitation as well as legal contract as grounds for bigamy.

    A local police department decided to "investigate." It will forward it's findings to the state AG. Who will promptly place it in the circular file. Unless he/she is willing to try 40-60 thousand other people in Utah who cohabitate under the same circumstances.
    I'm certainly not an expert on what the Utah authorities may or may not do in this case, so you could be right. But a local defense attorney, quoted in the ABC4 article has a different viewpoint.

    "If people are flaunting polygamy, a very serious crime in their jurisdiction, they’ll do something about it,” says Skordas.

    Skordas believes the Attorney General and the state’s attorney in Utah county is watching this show closely, and probably subpoenaing taped interviews of the adults.
    I think the difference in this case is that, unlike the 40-60 thousand other people in Utah who may be in polygamous relationships, Kody & Co. are flaunting it on national TV and claiming they don't care what laws their violating.
    Last edited by MizDaisy; 09-28-2010 at 02:39 PM.

  9. #39
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4071829;
    True, the existence of a common law marriage is not imposed, it's a finding of the court based on the evidence presented. That evidence can be presented in the course of legal action by an individual seeking rights, or by authorities pursuing legal action in a bigamy case in Utah, since that state recognizes both cohabitation as well as legal contract as grounds for bigamy.
    In over 30 years of practicing law, I have never heard or read of this happening, when neither party to the alleged "marriage" seeks it - in any kind of proceeding, including criminal.

    A common-law marriage can still be contracted in the District of Columbia and ten states: Alabama, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Texas. New Hampshire law provides for posthumous recognition of common-law marriage in probate cases. Utah will recognize a common-law marriage if the parties get a judicial decree to the effect a common law marriage exists or existed between them. Otherwise, common-law marriages can no longer be contracted in any of the other states, eleven of which never permitted this form of irregular marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4071829;
    I'm certainly not an expert on what the Utah authorities may or may not do in this case, so you could be right. But a local defense attorney, quoted in the ABC4 article has a different viewpoint.

    "If people are flaunting polygamy, a very serious crime in their jurisdiction, they’ll do something about it,” says Skordas.
    I sincerely hope they decide to "do something about it." It should be hilarious.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 09-28-2010 at 03:17 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  10. #40
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,586

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4071819;
    I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of this show. I don't care if these people are practicing "FLDS light", without the intensity of the Jeffs cult. The larger issue for me is that TLC is presenting families involved in fringe movements like FLDS and Quiverfull (Duggars) as family entertainment. How much of what we're shown is true and how much is patched together with editing is anyone's guess. Both of these movements involve the exploitation of girls/women, and presenting them as almost normal is far from reality.

    I do wonder about TLC's agenda. If this is supposed to be about "learning," they need to provide the details of both movements in order to provide a balanced story to their audience. An excellent book, "God's Brothel," was written several years ago by a Salt Lake City journalist who also produced a 2-hour documentary on polygamy for ABC. In the book she interviews 18 women who escaped from polygamous marriages. Some were involved in cults, but others were in indepedent families. Their stories indicate a very different kind of reality that deserves the same coverage by TLC as given to Kody & Co.
    I have read the book you mention as well as several others, no every woman who escaped polygamy was in a "cult" like the Jeff's one. And actually the Jeff's cult evolved over time and worsened to the point they are at. They didn't exactly start so bad. Same with the LeBaron families.... things went from people living "the principle" to cult status, murder, child brides etc.... all it takes is one or more people in control who are vying to be the prophet and what they say goes.

    TLC could present both sides of stories, but wait... then they actually would be The Learning Channel!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.