+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 177 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888138 ... LastLast
Like Tree694Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

FORT Newbie

Re: Sister Wives

I thought it was a pretty soft ball interview myself. I really wanted them to be asked about whether or not they accepted government benefits as "single moms" ... I mean, really, that large a family and now only Kody and Janelle work???

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4095284;
    There isn't a lot of joy in these peoples' lives. They do a lot of justifying - especially regarding disagreements.
    They look sad. If you watch their eyes and facial expressions carefully you can see it. I guess they accept this because it's "normal" to them but I wonder if being exposed to the world (via Reality TV) is showing them another possible life. Meaning that most women in the USA do not share their husbands....(and why should they?) It will be interesting to see what the next Season brings.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I saw the interview and thought it was more like advertising for next season. She asked a couple of supposedly tough questions, but it was obvious that they knew what to expect and had their answers all ready. After all, this was a TLC special, and it's a TLC show. They are not trying to "expose" these people doing anything wrong. They are trying to drum up viewership.

I found it interesting that the third wife wanted to be a third wife. She said that the first wife has too much work, the second wife is a wedge between the first wife and her husband, and the third wife is the best spot to be in. Um, okay...

Also, I think it was sad when Kody said that he was reluctant about taking the fourth wife because there was a "yuck factor" since she had been divorced and had kids. What a horrible thing to say in front of her! He found her distasteful but submitted, oh so reluctantly, to God's will. That is typical male dominance behavior. Keep the woman insecure so that she will keep pandering to you, trying to win your love and approval. Disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4098167;
    I saw the interview and thought it was more like advertising for next season. She asked a couple of supposedly tough questions, but it was obvious that they knew what to expect and had their answers all ready. After all, this was a TLC special, and it's a TLC show. They are not trying to "expose" these people doing anything wrong. They are trying to drum up viewership.

I found it interesting that the third wife wanted to be a third wife. She said that the first wife has too much work, the second wife is a wedge between the first wife and her husband, and the third wife is the best spot to be in. Um, okay...

Also, I think it was sad when Kody said that he was reluctant about taking the fourth wife because there was a "yuck factor" since she had been divorced and had kids. What a horrible thing to say in front of her! He found her distasteful but submitted, oh so reluctantly, to God's will. That is typical male dominance behavior. Keep the woman insecure so that she will keep pandering to you, trying to win your love and approval. Disgusting!
    I am sure he just forced himself to be with her.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by LovesSnowCO;4098142;
    They look sad. If you watch their eyes and facial expressions carefully you can see it. I guess they accept this because it's "normal" to them but I wonder if being exposed to the world (via Reality TV) is showing them another possible life. Meaning that most women in the USA do not share their husbands....(and why should they?) It will be interesting to see what the next Season brings.
    Given that about one-fourth of American men admit to marital infidelities (with estimates as high at 60% as to how many actual ARE having relationships outside the marriage), sadly...many women in the USA, perhaps even most women, do share their husbands....most of them are just not aware of it.
    Girls will make passes
    At boys who lose their glasses
    I'll find them for you.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LovesSnowCO;4098142;
    I don't think these women are unsophisticated, uneducated, or ignorant. They know what the rest of America does, and they know they are living a "niche" lifestyle. They are not forced, culturally, into choosing polygamy. It's something they wanted. That's my impression, anyhow.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4098366;
    I don't think these women are unsophisticated, uneducated, or ignorant. They know what the rest of America does, and they know they are living a "niche" lifestyle. They are not forced, culturally, into choosing polygamy. It's something they wanted. That's my impression, anyhow.
    Absolutely. They know what the world is about, and have made the choice to live the "lifestyle". They claim they are offered a choice, but I believe that choice is frowned upon. That's why my friend left home at 15, never to return. (Well, until she was an adult and could stand up against the pressure.)

I was surprised the term "God's will" wasn't used more. They seemed to talk more about tradition and (their own interpretation of) logic and convenience. Besides, the first three wives were already friends - since childhood - so why not rope them in as well, Meri. Kody may have seemed to have been a real catch back then.

I also think Robyn is sort of an honorary babysitter - and she didn't count on that. I don't know if that's the way it usually works in those families, but she seemed overwhelmed by all the little ones in her house.

I neglected to mention earlier how annoying and disrespectful I thought it was of the family to all (20 of them, plus cameras and crew) go traipsing into the maternity ward in the middle of the night to see the new baby. If I had been a new mom in that unit, I'd have been more than annoyed - and angry. They seem to feel entitled to special attention because they are, after all, polygamists. Ugh.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4098167;
    I think it was sad when Kody said that he was reluctant about taking the fourth wife because there was a "yuck factor" since she had been divorced and had kids. What a horrible thing to say in front of her!
    Especially in light of the fact that Janelle was also divorced before she married Kody --- although without children. So how must Janelle have felt when Kody said (in so many words) that the ick factor was because Robin had been intimate with another man before him. Duh, Kody!!! So had Janelle!!!

JD: My daughter is in University and doing her rotation in Obstetrics, and they don't allow more than 2 people in with mom at a time, and you have to specify beforehand. I think this is really common. I'm not sure how they got around that rule. No hospital would normally allow that many people in at a time, and especially not a maternity ward. Not in Canada, at least.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4098694;
    JD: My daughter is in University and doing her rotation in Obstetrics, and they don't allow more than 2 people in with mom at a time, and you have to specify beforehand. I think this is really common. I'm not sure how they got around that rule. No hospital would normally allow that many people in at a time, and especially not a maternity ward. Not in Canada, at least.
    Actually it's pretty common now in many hospitals across the US for large groups of people to come into the labor room (while waiting for the mother to get fairly close to the time of delivery --- although most of them are asked to leave during the actual delivery) and then again, after the baby is born. When my first grandbaby was born, there were about 10 of us waiting with the mom in the labor room, and back again as soon as he was born.

On the Sister Wives show, I remember the whole gang going from the car(s) into the hospital, but I don't remember a shot of them all actually in the room with Christine. Did they show them all in the room itself?

+ Reply to Thread