+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 176 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 1757
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

  1. #361
    FORT Newbie RSTARMARGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    13

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4092552;
    As someone from the bible belt and a very very Christian society, I can absolutely tell you that Christians do not consider Mormons Christians. The only thing the two religions have in common is Jesus Christ. But, Muslims believe in Jesus Christ as well and Christians don't consider them another Christian group either. The three religions are very different to the core. The belief in what heaven, or the afterlife, is so varied between the three, along with the idea of who God is, is so completely different, that the religions are miles apart in belief systems.
    Just wanted to say I wasn't offended by this comment. Sorry must seem irrelevant now, I haven't checked back in a few days, sometimes I don't have the heart to read what people think about us. lol. But it is interesting to learn what people do believe about us Mormons. I have never spent a lot of time in the Bible Belt. I guess I just think of myself as a Christian because I believe that Christ died for my sins, was the Son of God, etc. which I thought is what other Christian groups believe and to me someone who believes those things and tries to live his teachings is a Christian. So maybe just our definitions differ. I would consider Catholics Christians as well...and maybe that's wrong? I think Muslims are little different that Mormons for sure just because they only recognize Christ as a Prophet and not as their Savior. But I agree with you that there are many many differences in the belief systems of Mormons and other Christian groups but I hope that doesn't preclude me from calling myself a Christian. I don't really care if other people or groups think I am or not or recognize our church to be Christian or not. I think any religion that helps someone be a better person, and love their fellow men is a great thing. I can relate to anyone who believes in a higher power and believes they will be held accountable for their actions on this earth. That's what makes us better humans I hope. .
    R MARGS

  2. #362
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    state of denial
    Posts
    152

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by RSTARMARGS;4095187;
    I think any religion that helps someone be a better person, and love their fellow men is a great thing. I can relate to anyone who believes in a higher power and believes they will be held accountable for their actions on this earth. That's what makes us better humans I hope. .
    It's interesting that you say (write) that. I tend to agree with that concept completely. However, I've heard some people who were atheists wonder why "we" feel so good that we "do good" because we're obeying the "will of our god." (definite paraphrasing here!)

    The argument they make is that they (atheists) do things right (i.e., not steal, murder, etc.) because they have values and morals based on their own reasoning.

    It's a very very interesting argument to me. Is their system better because they do right without a "moral imperative" imposed by some "greater being"? It's really given me cause to think.

  3. #363
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: Sister Wives

    I've been scrolling through channels tonight and just ran across the Sister Wives' marathon. I'm a terrible multi-tasker, and missed a lot the first time around. I guess I was distracted by everything else going on (i.e., fake happiness) that I didn't pay much attention to the real sadness. There isn't a lot of joy in these peoples' lives. They do a lot of justifying - especially regarding disagreements.

    I hate the fact that people outside Utah think of us like this.

  4. #364
    FORT Fogey mindy384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,865

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4095284;
    I've been scrolling through channels tonight and just ran across the Sister Wives' marathon. I'm a terrible multi-tasker, and missed a lot the first time around. I guess I was distracted by everything else going on (i.e., fake happiness) that I didn't pay much attention to the real sadness. There isn't a lot of joy in these peoples' lives. They do a lot of justifying - especially regarding disagreements.

    I hate the fact that people outside Utah think of us like this.
    IT would be interesting to know what the exact numbers are...apparently it is hard to nail down numbers for the fundamentalist groups since they are so secluded. I think most people from my area lump all mormons together and basically view Utah as a Mormon state.

  5. #365
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Sister Wives

    Utah is one of the most religiously homogeneous states in the Union. More than 60% of Utahans are reported to be members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as the LDS Church or Mormon Church), which greatly influences Utah culture and daily life. Historically, it also influences legislation.

    [U.S. Religious Landscape Survey 2008, the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, pp 99–100.]

    Newsroom.lds.org. http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsr...tah-membership.

    Of the total 2,784,572 people in Utah, an estimated 30 - 40 thousand adults live in plural marriage. If they live in open polygamy, they cannot be members of the LDS Church.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  6. #366
    signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,557

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4095284;
    I hate the fact that people outside Utah think of us like this.
    Hi J.D.,

    You are changing people's minds - in a good way!

    Rstarmargs - I am glad I didn't offend you! I wasn't meaning to, just trying to share what I hear around my area of the world.

  7. #367
    FORT Fogey Imperfect1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,060

    Re: Sister Wives

    Did anyone see the Sister Wives Special? I was very pleasantly surprised that the network didn't shy away from the tougher issues and seemed to address them directly. And I was further pleasantly surprised that Kody & Co didn't shy away from them either, and seemed to be very honest and forthright in their response to the questions. Even Kody copped to the fact that on several occasions he was very insensitive to his wives' feelings and acted like a jerk.

    All in all, I'm really glad this show was aired and will, I believe, be picked up for a second season. I think the Browns are a very likable family --- it's just the basis of their life style that I can't quite wrap my head around, but I have enjoyed watching them and getting to know a litle bit more about polygamous family life. I personally, could never ever share my husband with anyone, but I don't condemn other women who, for whatever reason, can. I just wish that the REASON they were sharing their husband was just their preference, and NOT their fear of bad things happening in the after-life. . .

  8. #368
    FORT Fan dreamonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    324

    Re: Sister Wives

    Finally a post that nothing to do with the religion or that aspect of the show...saw half of it, but waiting to see the other half, they did ask questions about the money, glad they (the network and the family) did not shy away from many of the questions....only the sex one and honestly it is niot our business what goes on behind closed doors.

    glad to see a new season will be shown, kinda like them, may not agree with their lifestyle and I think Kody is a kid in a man's body...but all in all, they seem decent.

  9. #369
    FORT Fogey mindy384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,865

    Re: Sister Wives

    I still can't get over Kody's response to Meri's question about HER having multiple partners ("the vulagarity of it"). I really wish they had probed further into this matter/statement on the special...I just don't get why it is okay for him, but it is vulgar to even consider the flipside?! And this came after he flat out said this was not a patriarchal or husband-centric situation.... ?

  10. #370
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: Sister Wives

    Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;4096572;
    I still can't get over Kody's response to Meri's question about HER having multiple partners ("the vulagarity of it"). I really wish they had probed further into this matter/statement on the special...I just don't get why it is okay for him, but it is vulgar to even consider the flipside?! And this came after he flat out said this was not a patriarchal or husband-centric situation.... ?
    I agree. I didn't see the special as anything other than a clip show, and an advertisement for the next season. I wonder how restricted Natalie Morales was in the subjects for discussion.

    Obviously, sex lives are none of our business, and I don't find that part particularly interesting anyway.

    They showed the conversation betwen Meri and Kody regarding her having another lover, but there wasn't really a discussion about it.

    I did catch where Kody mentioned the nightly family prayer. That's a biggie for Mormons. Morning prayers and evening prayers are an important part of the life. Kody says he gets the family together once about every 3 days or so for that. (I'd call it a red flag...but whatever.)

    I worry about the fallout from this show. These kids are going to be shunned. And since the leader of this particular group tried to discourage the family going on the show, there will also be fallout from that. Kody's ego has gotten so out of control - he doesn't seem at all concerned about his family. That is sad. Very sad. Even the pictures of them in NYC were disturbing. This family is not prepared for the wall of sh*t that's going to hit their family. But as long as daddy's happy, I guess that's the main thing.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.