+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 176 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484134 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

It is kind of nice to have a lively and intelligent, rational conversation on the topic!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4093068;
    It is kind of nice to have a lively and intelligent, rational conversation on the topic!
    I agree. Religion (FLDS, specifically) is the undercurrent of this thread. Kody & CO are living their lives in expression of their religious beliefs, and we find it fascinating. Partly because the history of their sect is fascinating, but also because they choose to step outside their safety zone to air these issues. I would have loved a better exploration of these themes on the show, itself.

There is also our somewhat lurid curiosity about the working human dynamics of plural marriage. It's simply so alien to our mainstream perception of how marriage is supposed to work. We just cannot put ourselves in their shoes. We are forced to stretch some inactive emotional viscera to understand them, and we grow a little in that process.

Religious beliefs are, fortunately or not, germane to this topic. I, for one, have found it very engaging and I have learned a lot from the generosity of shared viewpoints.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4093067;
    Well, that's certainly true. I do post, however, on another message board, more of a fan forum for a musician, and we do have both religion and politics threads, where we have quite lively discussions. It can be done. Guess it's up to the mods to decide.
    Just thinking about Scientology makes me think we should have a thread for Comparative Religion, and separate topics for all of them

I find that religious topics are much more sympathetic and inclusive than politics. But both are emotionally charged.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4092857;
    So, please forgive me if I've offended anyone. I certainly didn't mean it that way!
    Hey, I hope I didn't offend also. I'm much more of a "spiritual" being now, as opposed to the Catholic I was raised. I've watched people near me using religion as a battering ram. "My faith is more strong than yours." etc. etc.

I meant well, but I hope I didn't come on too strong. I honestly believe faith is such a personal thing that unless we're willing to accept each other without imposing our own structure to their beliefs, we'll never progress. (But that's a story for another day!)

Boy does this show bring out some interesting conversations! (That being said, I really couldn't stand the wedding show. Kody seemed oblivious to the pain the other women tried, not very well, to hide.

FORT Fan

Wow, Poppy! I absolutely love that letter your son sent. Can I steal it?

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4093058;
    I haven't watched the show but the comments are fascinating. I do agree, though, that perhaps we should leave religion out of it and just stick to the show. Is there a thread here on FORT about comparative religions? Perhaps it would be a good idea to start one. I do think it's a fascinating topic, worthy of rational discussion.
    I have to say, I thought we didn't go too far. I like what I'm reading. I'm a big girl. No one is throwing around insults. We're just stating opinion. I hope, as long as it's civil, that we can discuss the parts of the show that are part of the complex draw/appeal of the show.

I firmly believe in demystifying religion, sex, politics, etc. Everyone has an opinion that should be respected. I hope again, that I've tried to show respect in my postings.

mods said we can have a comparative religion thread but it has to remain civil ...said we can open it under the C.E. thread...don't know if we can have separate threads for each one but we will have one for the discussion
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I like the way everyone here has handled this discussion--you should see the threads the mods have had to close in the past (im thinking of jon and kate +8, it got brutal in there). And, whether we like it or not, Poppy hit the nail on the head:the underlying theme of this show is religion so I am enjoying watching and hearing fellow forters talk about our personal experiences and education regarding the subject. I especially appreciate two posters who have (or had) specific ties to the 'Mormon' church and have shared their stories with us. It has also been interesting to compare notes with others who live in different areas of the country and practice varying religions.

Sometimes this show makes me a bit quesy (not because of the polygamy...its more bc I find Kody to be smarmy) but I love coming here to take in a bit of intellectual discussion on topics generated by the show.

Quote Originally Posted by barbh;4093122;
    Wow, Poppy! I absolutely love that letter your son sent. Can I steal it?
    Sure.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

LOVED your son's letter from God, Poppy. I think it was BRILLIANT!!!!! If only all people would read and take heed. . .
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 10-29-2010 at 08:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread