+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 176 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080130 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

FORT Fan

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880;4089031;
    I predict that in a few years we will read an announcement that Meri is filing for divorce--her child will be out of the house, which takes away her reason to stay, and she will be on her way to being self-sufficient. I hope she gets the strength to do so. I bet number 2 will follow--not sure about number 3.
    Number 3 aint going anywhere!!!

Number 1 seems miserable. I think she will go soon.

I think number 2 is content with the lifestyle and I have the impression that she does not need Kody financially. For some reason, from a comment she made, I think she contributes to the family's finances. I could be wrong.

Do you think Kody likes big women, or the first three wives got bigger over the past twenty years?

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4090185;
    Because they believe it's the right thing to do.
    But it is a must if you want to get into celestial heaven.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

According to what the men say.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Within the context of Christianity, isn't the term "celestial heaven" redundant? What is non-celestial heaven, according to FLDS?
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4090315;
    But it is a must if you want to get into celestial heaven.
    Actually, it's marriage, not necessarily plural marriage, that is required by Mormon doctrine to reach the "celestial," or highest level of the 3 levels of heaven. So, being single wouldn't be an option for those who want to attain that level. This is still true today.

The teachings regarding plural marriage were abandoned by the Church of LDS before the turn of the last century. Fundamentalists, or the FLDS, correctly cite political coercion as the reason for the abandonment of this teaching. For Utah to attain statehood, the Church of Latter Day Saints had to formally abandon and eschew the practice of plural marriage, along with its teachings that plural marriage sealed a man and his many wives (and dozens of children) together as a family in the highest level of heaven. FLDS still hold with the old doctrine, abandoned by their former church (in their opinions/testimony) solely for political reasons.

At least, this is my understanding of their teachings, and the history of this church. If you are married (even to only one spouse), you can attain celestial marriage in the 3rd level of heaven where men can be gods. Women however, cannot. They can be eternally married to one, though.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 10-25-2010 at 06:14 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;4090390;
    Within the context of Christianity, isn't the term "celestial heaven" redundant? What is non-celestial heaven, according to FLDS?
    Mormons consider their church to be Christian. Think in terms of "celestial marriage" rather then celestial heaven. Their doctrine is completely unique in Christian churches, describing the highest level of heaven to be attainable only by couples married and sealed in their own Temples.

Personally, I consider myself to be a Christian. However, I've found no church/sect that defines heaven in anything other than self-serving terms. My personal belief that being "saved" is the only promise you get as a Christian, and that we don't get to second-guess God on the particulars of what that means in terms of the experiential. More importantly, we don't get to define who is "saved." That would be in the domain of a higher authority than the human.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4090409;
    Actually, it's marriage, not necessarily plural marriage, that is required by Mormon doctrine to reach the "celestial," or highest level of the 3 levels of heaven. So, being single wouldn't be an option for those who want to attain that level. This is still true today.

The teachings regarding plural marriage were abandoned by the Church of LDS before the turn of the last century. Fundamentalists, or the FLDS, correctly cite political coercion as the reason for the abandonment of this teaching. For Utah to attain statehood, the Church of Latter Day Saints had to formally abandon and eschew the practice of plural marriage, along with its teachings that plural marriage sealed a man and his many wives (and dozens of children) together as a family in the highest level of heaven. FLDS still hold with the old doctrine, abandoned by their former church (in their opinions/testimony) solely for political reasons.

At least, this is my understanding of their teachings, and the history of this church. If you are married (even to only one spouse), you can attain celestial marriage in the 3rd level of heaven where men can be gods. Women however, cannot. They can be eternally married to one, though.
    Big huge surprise there.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4090465;
    Big huge surprise there.
    Exactly!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Religious beliefs are deeply held. They can be bone deep, visceral. All religious beliefs ascribe to "heart knowledge" - a truth that is embraced because the heart knows it's right, and cognition is secondary to that.

It's not my intention here to ridicule or mock anyone's religious beliefs. Life in the spirit has to rise above logic and cognitive meanderings. I respect your religious beliefs, whatever they may be.

It's inevitable that this thread takes us into sacrosanct territory: religious beliefs. I just want to say that whatever yours may be, I respect them.

FORT Newbie

I am J.D.'s friend #2. She is right on the money with her information. I agree with her that all of this seems normal to those who live in Utah and have grown up around this idealogy and I love how fascinating it is for all who are out of state.

Listen to J.D.....she is wise.

+ Reply to Thread