+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 176 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878128 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

SO, the temple is entirely separate from the actual physical place you attend regular services? See, I had no idea! I feel so educated!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;4089328;
    SO, the temple is entirely separate from the actual physical place you attend regular services? See, I had no idea! I feel so educated!
    Yes, there are ward houses, which are the churches for regular Sunday worship. Here in Utah, they are located usually every mile or so. They are fairly unassuming, plain churches. The churches and temples are not on the same grounds and are not physically connected at all.

The temples, however, are completely different. Did I read above that there are 128 of them in the world? Most are in Utah. They are large, very ornate buildings and are not used for the usual Sunday worship. They are used for temple work, sealings and the like, and are very private. These are the buildings where visitors need a card (called a temple recommend) to get in.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4089411;
    . . . Here in Utah, they are located usually every mile or so . . .
    About the same distribution in the Phoenix area (home of a temple in Mesa as well - which provides the most BEAUTIFUL Christmas displays).

We fondly refer to the Mormon churches "mile markers."
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Here is link to some answers for generally asked questions about Mormon Temples.

Frequently Asked Questions

And here is a link to a the list of Mormon Temples around the world.

Alphabetical

J.D. Yes there are 130 temples currently in operation around the world. I think they just dedicated five more, so that is 135 and around 11 that have been announced, or are being built currently. Nine of these are in Utah. The thing about temples (and meeting houses too) is that they are built where there is a need for them, where there are lots of Mormons. For temples they want them to be somewhat busy all the time, so they won't build one unless there are a great number of people in that area who wish to attend. And same with churches, only built where there is a need. So that's why there's a lot in Utah because there are A LOT of Mormons in Utah. But anyways you can reference the links I posted if you are curious about it.
    R MARGS

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4089418;
    About the same distribution in the Phoenix area (home of a temple in Mesa as well - which provides the most BEAUTIFUL Christmas displays).

We fondly refer to the Mormon churches "mile markers."
    Mile markers! Hahahah, I love it!

I think the basic fact, for whatever reason, is that Meri is the only wife and has given her husband permission to have 3 long term affairs and consents to live with his mistresses and their children. I couldn't do it myself, and find it a strange practice if you love someone, but if I had made the mistake of being the first one to marry Kody and didn't want to divorce him for whatever reason, I'd encourage him to sleep with other women just so I wouldn't have to. He's creepy, immature and would get on my nerves after about 2 seconds. Plus she gets a built in babysitter, she doesn't have to do all the household chores and gets extra income from the other working women. And a guilt trip to Mexico. She is the one who will get all the legal benefits as well. I also get the feeling she's ready to call it quits. I think the older these women get the more they are going to realize that the polygamy lifestyle is just not conducive to self worth as a woman in this day and age, and once they get past the having babies and needing the "community" of the other women for household stuff they don't need the lifestyle as they once did. With age comes wisdom!

The jealousy is plain to see in all the women, and we are only seeing the tip of it. I think there is a lot more there than any of them want anyone else to know. It's human nature.

Kody is just into having his cake and eating it too. You can see the lust in is eyes everytime he looks at Robyn. I'm sure the other women see it too.

As for Robyn, I think she has her own agenda that has nothing to do with religion, finding her "soulmate" (which she only gets a quarter of his "soul" and that is subject to deminishing in the future) or "sister-wives". She seems sketchy to me. Which may make her the perfect mistress of them all for Kody.

This show makes me laugh out loud. I consider it pure entertainment. I can not take anything about it seriously when they all contradict themselves all over the place and I'm suppose to believe they are all in it for the love of a creepazoid like that Kody guy.

My favorite on the show is the daughter with the short dark hair who said no way will she ever share a man. She's a rebel!

Oh...and in no way do I view gay marriage as having anything to do legally with polygamy. To me we are talking two individuals versus multiple individuals. Totally different in my opinion.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Question: What is the general education level that these kinds of women tend to attain? Do they usually go to college or graduate high school?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4089114;
    I don't have a link to this info. Our local radio news has a segment on weekly tv, and the guy who does that segment said it. Sometimes he's ahead of the announcements.....but I believe there is enough curiousity and talk about the show that it will be picked up again. Besides, the kids don't have their crooked houses and trips to Disneyland yet.

Mindy, anyone is welcome to regular Sunday church services. I've never known of anyone who has been asked to leave services.

It's only when going to the temple that you must have a card. You have to have several interviews with the bishop and the stake president and strictly follow the word before going to the temple. (So when a young couple decides to get married [sealed] in the temple, unless the guests are temple card-carrying and worthy, they are not allowed to attend. Some young couples are now choosing to hold civil ceremonies for friends and families, and then be sealed in the temple at another time.

Mormons are NOT associated in any way with Jehovah's Witnesses. Young Mormon boys are urged to complete a church mission. They usually leave when they are 19, and serve an 18-month mission in the field. (It used to be a 2-year stint, but has recently been cut.) Young Mormon ladies don't get as much pressure to go on missions. (Of course....they are either supposed to be married already, or at the very least have a boyfriend on a mission whom they declare to wait for patiently.) Young ladies are usually encouraged to wait until they are 25 or so before being urged to go. It's VERY common in the LDS community, but I don't think the FLDS members participate in that....if someone knows otherwise, please correct me.

Some older (retired) couples also choose to serve missions, and are usually put in the higher-up positions in the field (i.e., advisors and such).

From what I understand (I love my ex-polygog friend....she knows the scoop about most of this since she is living in our world, but is also close to her family - and I find her fair and balanced), Meri worked for the city and/or county. I was told TLC took the camera crew and all that goes with them to her place of business, and was fired for that. And I agree, that was highly inapropriate. Most people don't want to be associated with that lifestyle, especially local government.

Starbucks880, I agree with you about how the marriage with Robyn won't be long term. However, I don't think she'll be the first to go. I think Meri has had her fill.

From what I've seen of Robyn, I think she saw this marriage as a way out of her previous lifestyle. The Browns live in a nice area, appear to have money, and round-the-clock babysitters. I also think it's not turning out the way she thought it would. Time will tell, I suppose.

Also, Poppy, the Brown family are not the same as the Jeffs family. Warren Jeffs was the "prophet" of his own clan....they are the ones who married off the young girls. The Browns are not part of that group.

RSTARMARGS, I hope you haven't found my posts condescending or rude. Although I am presenting the facts as I know them, I am obviously also editorializing - and showing my own slant on the religion. I'm glad for you that the church is a positive in your life, as it is in many others'. It just doesn't work for me. I hope that our differing views will shed some light on Mormonism generally, and on the Browns in particular.

I'm sorry if my info is redundant....and that this is such a long post. I'll gladly answer any questions....feel free to act, or even PM me. It's an interesting and confusing topic....yet we in Utah see it as practically "normal".

Mormon men if they choose to go on missions go for 2 years, this has not been "cut" and usually leave at 19 or 20. Young women if they choose to go leave at 21, not 25, and do go for 18 months. They do a lot of volunteer work as well as try to teach people about their religion. If you're interested I think the movie The Other Side of Heaven is a pretty accurate, but not up to date, depiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4089624;
    Mormon men if they choose to go on missions go for 2 years, this has not been "cut" and usually leave at 19 or 20. Young women if they choose to go leave at 21, not 25, and do go for 18 months. They do a lot of volunteer work as well as try to teach people about their religion. If you're interested I think the movie The Other Side of Heaven is a pretty accurate, but not up to date, depiction.
    I apologize for my mistake - yes, the male missionaries do serve for two years. As far as female missionaries, isn't it the rule that they "have" to be at least 21, but may also go any time after that?

I was born in Utah and have lived the Mormon lifestyle for most of my life. I understand the culture and practices. Even though I may not live by all of the rules, I am aware of them and understand them. And by that I mean I understand the church from a real life point of view, not from an artistic one.

By knowing and understanding the practices of the LDS church (but admittedly not knowing much about FLDS practices), I get confused about the messages and lifestyle of the Brown family. It makes me wonder if Meri is having the same doubts about the teachings that I did. (Although still on the books as a member, I do not participate in church activities.) She acts as though she's figuring out that what she was taught about plural marriage may not have been accurate. That maybe monogamy is the best path.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4089667;
    That maybe monogamy is the best path.
    I believe it is the right path.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread