+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Sister Wives

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4070570;
    Can someone tell me how they can put a show on tv about people doing something that is illegal in the United States and no one goes to jail? And they are getting paid for sharing their story of their illegal activities!! Before you know it, there'll be a reality show about the lifestyle of a serial killer! It seems anything goes nowadays. On the tv show preview (I haven't watched the show) this man claims he just falls in love again and again....seems more like he falls "in lust" over and over again. These women must have very low self esteem to allow themselves to be treated this way. But, if they have been brought up this way...then I guess they have been brainwashed to think that they don't deserve anything better. Very sad, but afterall...they are in a cult and that's what cults do...brainwash people.
    Federal law prohibits polygamy in the "territories." There are several laws, and they are quite old. Federal law also does not provide legal recognition of polygamy. It defines marriage as one man, and one woman.

The laws vary from state to state, but in general, if you do not ask for a marriage license from the state for your first (marriage), then you can cohabit with as many people as you like and it is not illegal. Bigamy and adultery are only crimes for a married person, not for people who are living together. Some jurisdictions have laws against having unmarried sex, but they are never enforced.

It also helps if you avoid labeling your relationship as a marriage. For example, living together is generally not illegal, but representing yourselves as husband and wife may be.

The government is prevented by the constitution from regulating contracts or saying who you may associate with. So you make a contract with another person, the particulars of which contain the usual things that a marriage would be composed of, but you avoid the legal hot words in the body of the contract.

But in general if you avoid a marriage license, and don't represent yourselves on official documents as being married, and don't let them declare that you have a common law marriage, then you can do what you want without worrying about it being illegal.

Polygamists are not bigamists. People in most states are free to cohabitate with whomever they wish, and bear as many children as they want to. No one is prosecuted for living together - not in this century
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I watched about 10 minutes of this and won't be watching it again. I share the sentiments of most here. Way to creepy for me.

I wonder how many women (in this family's community) collect some kind of government aid because, after all, they are single mothers. I bet that it's very common. While I don't really care about the plural marriage part I don't like families turning out baby after baby (like the Duggars). The world is over populated. While some people find it charming I find it unnecessary and selfish.

You're correct tvaholic...I was reading some articles on-line this weekend and many of these women in this situation DO collect gov't benefits since according to the "law" they are technically single moms. That is sooo wrong!!! Not only do the women get rewarded for this behavior but even the man gets the financial benefits that the wives who are not legally married to him, get from the gov't to help raise his evergrowing family.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4070486;
    Are they allowed to bring another "husband" into the family? I am guessing that would be a giant NO. To each his own, but I find it degrading to women.
    No they don't. And let's not forget the whole Warren Jeffs fiasco that just occured. I have read many a book on FLDS and polygamy and it is wrong. Morally wrong. And as a poster said he is only legally married to one of the wives.... who do you think supports his other wives and children? We do. It is a known fact that many of these families go on public aid as legally they are "single" mothers with many children.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

You guys beat me to the public aid issue! And while the men marry the available women, what happens to some of the boys? Read any book or look up FLDS "Lost Boys".

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4070727;
    No they don't. And let's not forget the whole Warren Jeffs fiasco that just occured. I have read many a book on FLDS and polygamy and it is wrong. Morally wrong. And as a poster said he is only legally married to one of the wives.... who do you think supports his other wives and children? We do. It is a known fact that many of these families go on public aid as legally they are "single" mothers with many children.
    You cannot equate the people in this show with the "compound" polygamists governed by people like Warren Jeffs. They are quite different, especially in terms of how their daughters are expected to behave - and "obey." These are not people who sell their daughters into premature matrimony with old men who are in "power" in a community. Neither do they kick their adolescent sons to the curb.

People like Warren Jeffs, and his followers, get prosecuted and do time. Rightfully so. People like the ones in this show are not exploiting their daughters and live autonomously from any religiously imposed "authority." Whether or not you agree with their morals, it's an American way of life that is being played out for us on TV. And, let's face it: they don't care what we think of them. They have "outed" themselves for a reason. I think that reason is to underscore the differences between themselves and the Warren Jeffs of their world.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 09-27-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

These people are not the FDLS and their lifestyle would not be for me but I'm not going to judge. If they are not lying the wives seem happy with their situation and so do the kids. It didn't seem to me that this family is on welfare and food stamps but I know alot of polygamist families are. This show is nothing new for TLC, they have had documentary shows on before about pural marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4070816;
    You cannot equate the people in this show with the "compound" polygamists governed by people like Warren Jeffs. They are quite different, especially in terms of how their daughters are expected to behave - and "obey." These are not people who sell their daughters into premature matrimony with old men who are in "power" in a community. Neither do they kick their adolescent sons to the curb.

People like Warren Jeffs, and his followers, get prosecuted and do time. Rightfully so. People like the ones in this show are not exploiting their daughters and live autonomously from any religiously imposed "authority." Whether or not you agree with their morals, it's an American way of life that is being played out for us on TV. And, let's face it: they don't care what we think of them. They have "outed" themselves for a reason. I think that reason is to underscore the differences between themselves and the Warren Jeffs of their world.
    Agreed, but it still doesn't make it right. I don't want to lump them with those groups, but I still can't say it is okay to live like this and I just can't watch the show and say "awww... how heartwarming". Its not.

Now if the women could have multiple husbands.... jk!

I was fascinated, but disgusted at the same time. Won't be watching anymore though...

+ Reply to Thread