+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree689Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar

Re: Sister Wives

I'm still recovering from that show, wow! First of all, did Kody actually have the gall to tell viewers that everything the Brown family has touched turns to gold? That they have the Midas touch and that's why investors should give them money? Talk about believing your own press.

Don't they ever watch Shark Tank? Channeling Mr. Wonderful: Your business only gets interest because of your current low-level fame. As soon as the TV show is gone, the interest in the business is gone. You have a large segment of society that is biased against your lifestyle and would never purchase from you. Plus, I can go to craft shows every weekend of the year and see comparable jewelry for much lower prices, and I'm not having a lifestyle agenda shoved down my throat there. You have no sales, your conversion rate is horrible and your only solution to those issues is to get more money. My money. I love my money. If I gave it to you, it would die. I can't allow that to happen. For that reason, I'm out.

And, oh boy, that presentation. Robyn gets the ugly cry (nice bit of self-awareness there Robyn), Meri acts like she's reciting a memorized speech, Kody does his usual bouncing off the walls over-the-top smarmy sales pitch, Janelle sounds competent but relied on the "I can get you that answer" and "it's in the package" attitude a bit too much, and Christine tells the investors that if they gave them too much money, they (the Browns) would get lazy and not put out as much effort. Unfortunately, I fear that this is all a set-up by TLC to keep interest and the Brown's will get their money (from somebody) and Robyn's Closet will keep on going. And we'll see more ugly man jewelry on Kody every week.

At least TLC is following the formula. Find an odd family living an odd lifestyle, highlight their struggles, make them rich and famous, show us an odd rich and famous family doing rich and famous people things like traveling, getting $2.5 million from investors, sending their kids to expensive schools, oh, and throw in some ceremony or celebration with an arduous time constraint. Show one of the "stars" saying the time honored phrase "I don't know if we're going to get it done in time." And, cue Robyn's tears.

PIMGuy, you nailed it perfectly! I do wonder how the ratings are for Sister Wives. I would think their popularity has gone down, since we all know the characters so well and I'm not aware of anyone who is really impressed.

I guess every season offers something to keep the viewer interested though. Last season there was illness of Truly and the commitment ceremony. This season I guess it will be them getting the venture capitalists on board with their business. It sounds pretty far fetched to me. lol Oh, and Merri going to college......I would think getting Merri some help for her crying might be more interesting.

...What they should have said in their presentation:
    Ummm we are on this show on tlc and want to cash in on the popularity as soon as possible. We thought if we put up and website and sell over priced jewelry that our fans would just eat it up. Turns out it didn't work out so well, so we had favorite wife Robyn design more ugly pieces but at a much cheaper price. Still just little nibbles from our millions of hits. So we were thinking, how about you give us idiots 2.5 million dollars and you can basically take over because none of us really want to do this anymore...

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    This paragraph is perfection!! So well said!
    ccfromcan and white5199 like this.

FORT Newbie

I've never been Meri and "Sobbin' Robyn's biggest fans, but come on...........the tears are getting ridiculous. If I had a friend or family member that cried so much over so little, I would scream! I might cry once a year, they cry if you look sideways at them. Also I think Robyn is out of line with this stupid MSWC. It is her dream, why does it have to be anybody else's? I think it's silly for Meri to back to college when they have so many expenses, but it is a dream she has had for a long time. These women do not support each other and can barely stand each other. If you want to live this life you need to lock yourself away from the world. This lifestyle and the real world don't mesh together very well.
    candor, rozzie17 and AZChristian like this.

I was soooo bored with this last episode. I do not care about the business and I do not think it makes for good tv.
    AZChristian and lilymax like this.
    Roz

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

I don't care about MSWC either, but I guess they had run out of other ideas for the show. I wonder if Meri going to college is just another storyline too. With limited funds, lots of college aged kids and more in line, a parent going to college is just bizarre, especially when it's a wife who isn't going to ever work. I can't see Robyn working either or Christine. Poor Janelle. I would resent working and supporting the others while they follow their dreams.

Previously, Meri's dream was having another baby. Then it was the new house with wet bar. Now it's college. Good grief.

I guess I'm the only one who is glad Meri is going back to school.

In a way, it seems she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

Viewers have complained that she needs a job. What kind of job would she get? She had a job in Utah working with at risk teens. Back then she seemed like a much happier person. The only reason she left was that she was let go due to her publicity. She has said that that is a career that she wants to go back to. It can be hard to get jobs in social service without a degree, so she's getting a degree. I assume she has an ultimate goal to use her degree. She could then get a job in something that is HER dream. Not Robyn's. (BTW, it chapped me two epi's ago when Robyn complained to Kody that she needed help with the business so she could have another baby. So it's okay for her to scale back her participation but not for Meri to do so.)

As far as paying for it college concerned, we don't know what arrangements are being made for that. Maybe TLC is even paying for it so that they can use it as part of the story line. UNLV is probably not too expensive. But as it hasn't been discussed, it doesn't seem to be an issue for the family.

I'm happy she's doing something constructive as opposed to rambling around moping like she has for the past few seasons.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I have no problem with Meri going back to school but only if its to gain more skills to get a job. This family needs more breadwinners especially if this show goes down the tubes.

I have not seen any comments about the kissing comments Kody made to the daughter and boyfriend. That was just plain weird and wrong. Not to mention embarrassing...
    KareyR2 and Imperfect1 like this.
    Roz

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    She had a job in Utah working with at risk teens.
    I didn't start college until my 30s, so I'm all in favor of furthering one's education.

But knowing this "family's" propensity for exaggeration, whenever I hear that she worked with at-risk teens, in my mind's eye, I see her with a little paper cover over her hair, wearing plastic gloves, and putting french fries on kids' plates as they go down the cafeteria line.

Color me cynical.
    KareyR2 and elleprn like this.

From all I've seen from Meri, I'm quite skeptical of how she would be working with anyone about life skills. IMO, she's extremely immature, very selfish, lacks empathy and always seems to be torn up over emotional issues over personal matters.

Becoming a licensed counselor or social worker is very time consuming and takes a lot of hours. It takes classroom hours and training hours in which you work under someone else. Each state has their own rules, but it's not a quick thing. I don't see Meri having the fortitude to see it through.

+ Reply to Thread