+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree623Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Sister Wives

Totally agree with all the posts up above, although just for the record, it was the first doctor who said that Truly had the flu --- so it's understandable that the family believed it. This show had me in tears too, and I was so worried for that sweet little girl, ESPECIALLY when first the kidney medication didn't work and then the dialysis didn't work. OMG! I'm a nurse, and I've never seen anyone recover after that.

I know that the Browns probably "should have" picked up on Truly's symptoms, but I also kept thinking about my own children, and how when they were small, there were so many times that I probably didn't pay close enough attention to what MIGHT have developed into a major problem, but thank God, didn't. Wow! This was a really emotional episode for me!

I guess I was thinking about when Kody deducted that Truely had the flu before they ever took her to the doctor. Recall when the wives were out of town and Truely didn't feel well? Kody said she had a touch of flu, though she had no fever or other symptom of the flu. That's what threw me. Why think a child has the flu when they have none of the main symptoms of the flu?

I guess they have beaten themself up over that incorrect assumption, but then upthread, someone says the doctor said it was the flu????? I must have missed that part.
    Passepartout likes this.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

While the wives were out of town, Kody deduced she had "a touch of flu." Flu to many people is a bug - non-specific as opposed to the technical "flu."

When Christine came home, she took Truely to her pediatrician who diagnosed her with the flu. (I wonder if he actually tested her?)

Anyway, I fault the family for lots of things, but having raised 5 kids myself and having made plenty of mistakes, I can't blame them for missing that she needed to go to the ER. I didn't catch it at first when my daughter had menengitus!
    causingchaos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    While the wives were out of town, Kody deduced she had "a touch of flu." Flu to many people is a bug - non-specific as opposed to the technical "flu."

When Christine came home, she took Truely to her pediatrician who diagnosed her with the flu. (I wonder if he actually tested her?)

Anyway, I fault the family for lots of things, but having raised 5 kids myself and having made plenty of mistakes, I can't blame them for missing that she needed to go to the ER. I didn't catch it at first when my daughter had menengitus!
    I took it to mean the generic way people use "flu" around here too. When someone says someone has a touch of the flu here it could mean anything from diarrhea, stomach issues, cold, pneumonia, bronchitis and so on. People never mean flu as the respiratory illness when they say it here.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I took it to mean the generic way people use "flu" around here too. When someone says someone has a touch of the flu here it could mean anything from diarrhea, stomach issues, cold, pneumonia, bronchitis and so on. People never mean flu as the respiratory illness when they say it here.
    It must be a regional thing. In NC when someone says flu, it generally means the respiratory flu, fever, chills, coughing, etc. If someone has stomach upset they normally call it a bug or stomach virus, noroviris, etc.
    Allie likes this.

Here, when someone has the "flu," they mean that the person actually has the flu virus.

I'm sort of afraid of Kody in the commercials they're running right now: "I'm a polygamist. COME AND BE MY FRIEND!"
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just curious with all these inaccurate meanings attached to the flu, what do people in your regions generally think the flu shot protects against? Is this why I hear some ppl on line complain that they got their flu shot and got the flu anyway? Did they think the flu was a stomach virus, or a cold and then got those so they thought their flu shot didn't work?

In nurses training they used to tell us that if you had a cold and you saw someone drop a hundred dollar bill in your room you will lean down and pick it up. If it's the flu you won't even bother moving. (along with the flu has a high fever, cough and chills.

She had no fever so he must not have been using the flu in an accurate way, but only to mean she was a little sick.

I honestly don't think the general public here knows flu is a serious respiratory infection. I had no clue until I was an adult what it was because growing up the flu was this generic sickness to all of us that was GI issues or a sniffly nose or just that generalize I feel punky thing. So when people here talk about getting the flu even with the shot I really think they're sick with something else. Mom had norovirus last spring (which I then caught) but they spent weeks calling it the flu and I was like, "No mom you guys got norovirus not the flu."

But around here almost to a person (except those in the medical field) flu is this nebulous term used for pretty much all illnesses. And you know honestly I believe that's why a lot of people don't even get their flu shot because they're thinking they get the flu every year anyhow and it's not that bad.
    Punkin and nanarama like this.

Yeah, when Kody says "Come and be my friend anyway." It sounds so juvenile and dorky. Maybe it's because we are hearing it out of context.

Everytime one of the women makes a comment about the celebration, Kody will go behind them and say it's MORE than a party. It's obvious they don't even agree on what it is. I get the feeling that if TLC said, "Ladies, you don't have to do this celebration gig. You can just walk away from it, if you want." The ladies would say GREAT and walk away from it. I think Kody is the only one who really wants it.

Seriously, I think ALL the ladies are getting tired of being SISTER WIVES.

I have been watching SW since S1 and they are just all drifting apart.

Kody is the only one running and jumping like a giddy little school girl all the time.

The ladies are tired of this lifestyle. I think they all wish they had their OWN spouse.

I have 3 close GF's and 3 Sisters and I can honestly tell you we are CLOSER with each other than the SW's are with each other.
    causingchaos likes this.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread