+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 165 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree560Likes

Thread: Sister Wives

Re: Sister Wives

don't most of the people that appear on any reality show usually have an agenda...thats nothing new...what I think and I am sure I am in the minority is that if you have grown consenting adults who choose to live an ulterior lifestyle from what society considers NORMAL...this includes any and all types of people who choose a different lifestyle for themselves not just polyogamy....more power to you....you don't force your beliefs on me and i won't force mine on you and if it works for you and again if they are grown adults...go for it...and it seems to work for this family and I am the last person in the world to judge anyone...I am a southern girl and my grandma always told me that there was only 1 judges opinion that matters and everyone will have to stand before him to answer for themselves
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;4077980;
    don't most of the people that appear on any reality show usually have an agenda...thats nothing new...what I think and I am sure I am in the minority is that if you have grown consenting adults who choose to live an ulterior lifestyle from what society considers NORMAL...this includes any and all types of people who choose a different lifestyle for themselves not just polyogamy....more power to you....you don't force your beliefs on me and i won't force mine on you and if it works for you and again if they are grown adults...go for it...and it seems to work for this family and I am the last person in the world to judge anyone...I am a southern girl and my grandma always told me that there was only 1 judges opinion that matters and everyone will have to stand before him to answer for themselves
    I have to agree with you Butterfly! Although the Brown's lifestyle choice wouldn't be my lifestyle choice, (and I do find a huge ick factor in it!) I still have to support their right to live any lifestyle they choose, so long as they're not commiting any crimes like marrying (or having any sex with) underage girls, or for that matter, forcing marriage on any of their children.

For me, there are other lifestyles that I find more distasteful, especially those lifestyles, typical of mid-Eastern cultures, where the wives are not much more than slaves, have virtually no personal freedom, and are abused and humiliated in all sorts of ways.

FORT Fogey

don't most of the people that appear on any reality show usually have an agenda
    I suspect the Duggars may have an agenda since their involvement in the Gothard/Quiverfull movement is downplayed just as Kody & Co. have avoided any mention of their involvement in the campaign to legalize polygamy. Both are poster families for their particular brand of faith: like a 21st century version of Father Knows Best, only with a lot more kids (Duggars) and wives (Brown).

But I disagree that most people on reality shows have an agenda, other than perhaps getting the paycheck for their appearance. And as for judging them, as I see it, these people have put their lives on display to the public and are being compensated for it, so they shouldn't be surprised when their lifestyle provokes negative reactions.

Your grandma was a smart woman Butterfly.

I haven't watched this show except the first 10 minutes of the first episode. It obviously is stirring up alot of controversy. I enjoy reading the posts here but I just can't stomach watching the show itself. Love the varied opinions though.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4078173;
    I suspect the Duggars may have an agenda since their involvement in the Gothard/Quiverfull movement is downplayed just as Kody & Co. have avoided any mention of their involvement in the campaign to legalize polygamy. Both are poster families for their particular brand of faith: like a 21st century version of Father Knows Best, only with a lot more kids (Duggars) and wives (Brown).

But I disagree that most people on reality shows have an agenda, other than perhaps getting the paycheck for their appearance. And as for judging them, as I see it, these people have put their lives on display to the public and are being compensated for it, so they shouldn't be surprised when their lifestyle provokes negative reactions.
    I definitely agree with you here on that point. If you "sell" your life story for all the world to see, the world is going to make judgements about you.

SisterWives family is being investigated by the Utah police for bigamy per the TV Guide.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I believe that he is only legally married to his first wife, the others were religious ceremonies and not legal marriages. I don't get how they could charge him with bigamy?

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4079924;
    I believe that he is only legally married to his first wife, the others were religious ceremonies and not legal marriages. I don't get how they could charge him with bigamy?
    If they are living in the same home for x amount of years, it becomes common law, if I am not mistaken.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4079927;
    If they are living in the same home for x amount of years, it becomes common law, if I am not mistaken.
    There is a good deal of discussion of Utah's unique bigamy statute upthread.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4079927;
    Including a discussion of common law marriage laws--not as "common" as you might think these days!

+ Reply to Thread